Fire escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's one advantage with our little Sprinter chassis ERA, it has rear doors.  Couldn't get much easier unless maybe I added explosive bolts. :)

Some good and some bad advise, but a great wake up call.  First let's discuss children..they are more than likely better trained to get out of a fire the mom or dad, grandma or grandpa.  They just went through a week of fire prevention (October is Fire Prevention Week).  I am going to sound cruel, and heartless, but if it is a bad fire, (there is no such thing as a good fire) it is every man woman and child for themselves.  We tell the children to make as much noise as you can to wake every one up, but GET OUT......stay low and the rule of thumb is lower than the TOILET SEAT. 

Now going out a window, after breaking it clearing it out (getting the jagged pieces of glass out (sweep with a broom handle, vacume hose whatever). Throw the blanket, bed spread, towel over the sill and SLIDE out.  Super Man jumps out of windows. We tell the children to hang out the window and drop. Second floor window) 10 ft less height of person. 

Unless you are a small child you will not drop more than 12 to 24 inches before reaching the ground. (MH)

The fire extinguisher is a great tool to clear out the window...or use on your neighbors fire not yours.  Get out, let the FD fight the fire. It was said and very true..when the devil (fire) is on your ass you wil be motivated to get out.  Also said was you will probably never die from the fire, but from the CO or whatever else is burning and depleting your O2

Make a plan and have a backup.

Why are we breaking the window and making things worse with broken glass to land on without shoes and a chance of a piece staying in the frame and really cutting you. MH's don't have exit windows? I agree that a bedspread or mattress over the sill will help. The glass should not be broken.

Do the math...now do not get upset..or kill the messenger...get a tape measure and measure the window opening (with the window open, if it opens) than measure the widest part of your body. DO NOT DO THIS WITH YOUR SPOUSE ( could be hazardous to your health).  If the numbers match TAKE THE WINDW the insurance company will give you a new one....by the way Mr. Fireman will do it anyway...

In my experiance it's easier to open a reasonably maintained exit window in an RV than it is to break it. Especially the double pane windows in my rig. Of course it's much safer. And yes, my wife and I both fit thru the opening. The inch and a half of space we'd benefit from with a broken window would be erased by the sharp edges of glass we'd get cut by when sliding out or the padding we'd need to place on the sill. And what about the broken glass and bare feet under the window? Taking the time to clean all the glass out of the window frame and throwing something down on the broken glass on the ground takes time we may not have. Remember this is an A**es and Elbows emergency.

I also disagree that it's every person for themselves in an emergency. Many people are trained in the military, police and fire to care for others while risking their own safety. IMHO that training never goes away.

Ken

Ken;

You are absolutely right, but how many people are trained?  Do you want a child try to pull a 150 to 200 lb adult out of a burning building?  Adults will have a difficult if not impossible time.

Sr. Citizens and children listen; the in between well as the sign says we get old to fast and smart too late.....

Like I said do the math if you can go out without breaking it by all means do so.  Some fifth wheels have windows the size of doors.  Something else to consider. We are creatures of habit, and will go past a perfectly clear exit to get to the door we always exit and enter our home.  This is a fact.....

This is a great subject because it makes people realize what can happen.  Have a plan, hope you never have to use it (like towing ins.) and discuss it with your children or grand children.  You'll be amazed what they can teach us....

Stay safe and every spring or fall when the clocks change CHANGE THE BATTERIES in your detectors.  (smoke and carbon monoxide)..

Jim

I did the fire escape yesterday and it was a fiasco, it took way too long to open the window, and I forgot that I don't have  a twenty something year old body any longer. I got out the window as my wife looked on refusing to participate in my comedy. I got a nice scrape on the way out of the window, but at least I know I fit. In a real emergency I won't be taking it easy on the window mechanisms, and I won't be worrying about a little discomfort getting my big fanny out of that tiny window that looks so large from the outside.

Ive had to do quarterly fire drills in every place I've worked in order to comply with licensing requirements. I always looked at them as a PIA until one day there was a real fire in a group home where I worked. Thank goodness for the drills. I was the only one there but was able to get everyone out. The residents were able to help because they remembered the drills we ran. When I walked into the room and saw the flames in the ceiling, all thinking kind of stopped and instinct took over. Because of the drills, my instinct was to do what I had practiced so often.

As Im reading these posts, Im also remembering just how fast a fire spreads. I don't know if RVs are made with special flame retardant materials, but if not, then the fire will spread incredibly fast. I would suggest doing like Oscar Mike, try getting out the window now. If there is some reason why you can't get out, fix the problem or find another way. Its a lot easier to do so when you are calm and safe  than it will be with dark smoke and fire and poisonous fumes swirling around your head.

I'm glad to read this page. We had a house fire in 2005, all got out safely but fire is not something I like to think about.
How often do RV fires happen? I understand the electrical problem possibilities but what are the furnace hazards? I would not have thought of not leaving the furnace on all night. Any other RV specific fire hazards?
I will certainly add a couple of fire extinguishers after reading this page.
Thanks for bringing it up and all the good advice.

DerekB said:
I'm glad to read this page. We had a house fire in 2005, all got out safely but fire is not something I like to think about.
How often do RV fires happen? I understand the electrical problem possibilities but what are the furnace hazards? I would not have thought of not leaving the furnace on all night. Any other RV specific fire hazards?
I will certainly add a couple of fire extinguishers after reading this page.
Thanks for bringing it up and all the good advice.
You might want to do a search on RV refrigerator fires.  That may be the biggest fire hazard, especially in older units.

Of all the RV fires I know of, most were from refrigerator failures.  A few from electrical faults, and one from the towed slipping into gear and catching on fire that spread to the motorhome.  You certainly can't have too many fire extinguishers.  I think you should have at least one close at hand anywhere in the RV.  We have them in the bedroom, the galley, and a large one by the entrance door.  Put one or two in the tow/towed vehicle as well.

Ned

This is not directed to you, but if you need a extinguisher to get out of your RV than you are going the wrong way...I have read many a statement that they are going to fight the fire or fight there way out .you can have 5 extinguishers in your unit but can only use one.  I want Ned camping next to me because if I need a extinguisher I know where I can get one.  This is not a joke a fact..I cannot get or go back into my burning unit to get the extinguisher. Ned can...or whoever else is parked next or near me can get there extinguishers.

Ned how many people know how to use one, and if they do, what type of material is burning? Type of extinguisher; ABC, D, Purple K, a water can?  the list goes on. 

A extinguisher is for the other guy, if you have a fire, I cannot say it enough..GET OUT. 

One thing you should do is remove that extinguisher that is in your RV and shake  it up.  You will get a few more years out of it. Check the gauge and expiration date.  They do not last forever.  Discharge at base of fire, if the product that is burning ends with IUM you need a dry powder, (D) Your extinguisher is not going to put it out if is not a type D.  Actually you could  make the fire worse.

Your best defense is working smoke detectors.  Have a plan, and have a back up plan. Have two means of egress.. We are talking RV's small and compact.  Low ceilings, small windows and doors. 

We have a lot going against us, but we are educated so thats a plus...stay safe

An extinguisher in the galley can keep a small stove fire from getting out of hand.  One by the door can be used to extinguish a refrigerator fire, which will be outside.  And they are very useful when the fire is in the RV next door.  I certainly wouldn't attempt to fight a fully involved fire in the front if I were in the back bedroom, I'd be going out the window.  We have all foam extinguishers that are good on all types of fires that we might encounter.  Bought a bunch of them from Mac the Fireguy years ago.

Bought a bunch of them from Mac the Fireguy years ago.

Tin Man is right, they don't last forever. Make sure the dates on the extinguishers have not expired.

Our trainers always taught us to use the PASS acronym...

P- Pull the pin
A- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
S- Squeeze the trigger
S- Sweep the nozzle back and forth as you spray the base of the fire

Also, fire extinguishers should only be used to clear the path so you can get out safely. Its very easy for the fire to get out of control, sometimes just a matter of seconds. Fire spreads really fast.

If you are fortunate enough to detect a fire early (like a pan on the stove flames up during use), then having an extinguisher handy is key. But if the blaze is already underway, forget the extinguisher and head for the door or window. You probably have no more than 2-3 minutes to get yourselves out. May not even have time to get any pets or things that are dear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom