Relief for Arthritis in hands.... trigger finger.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

Hello All:
I'm seventy-Six and looking for relief of pain in my knuckles and finger joints.

It all started around 7 months ago with the onset of "Trigger finger". First left hand, then right, with it progressing from first finger knuckle, down finger to second joint, and that's where it is at presently. The fingers curl up and I must painfully straighten each out before any "grasping" activity.

Now I do appreciate that this is "not unbearable" and many people have REAL problems. I was moving towards "acceptance" when it entered my mind there may be something  "off shelves"  that will give some relief. Oh yea,  life style and climate contribute I'm sure.

Warm water helps....
And I do believe that foods influence "arthritis" but keep forgetting which, and eat those that contribute as they are offered to me. Yum!
Anywho.... who also suffers this ailment and how do they deal with it.
Thanks in advance.
P.S.
Now I've gone "on line" and there is lot's of valuable information...., but I'm looking for people who have "done" something and have experience. 

I'm a mere 60 years old and suffer with finger pain. I too would be interested in a therapy...

I started suffering from arthritis in the 70s so I read up on it and found out that it was a lack of B vitamins that causes arthritis. So I have been taking a multi B vitamin every day since then and I have no problems with my arthritis.

Of course doctors don't believe a word of it because it doesn't depend on a bunch of drugs to solve the problem.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-rheumatoid-arthritis/vitamins-b-complex.aspx

SeilerBird said:
I started suffering from arthritis in the 70s so I read up on it and found out that it was a lack of B vitamins that causes arthritis. So I have been taking a multi B vitamin every day since then and I have no problems with my arthritis.

Of course doctors don't believe a word of it because it doesn't depend on a bunch of drugs to solve the problem.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-rheumatoid-arthritis/vitamins-b-complex.aspx

I take a B12 tablet daily...

I am having this same issue so interested in what folks say. The only thing I have found for the pain is a product called Bio freeze. Does nothing to stop the issue but does give temp relief. I am 58 but have been playing the drums since I was 8 so I suspect it is caused from that.

DMSO.  Start rubbing DMSO on and around the effected joints 2 to 3 times a day.  It might take a while, but it will be worth the effort.

Years before I had my knee replacements, I took a glucosomine/chondroitin supplement. It took a few weeks to start make a noticeable difference, but it worked for a very long time before my knees got too bad. Our vet also prescribed it for our old rottie when she was having trouble walking. It worked for her too, well it was either that or the half a hot dog that we stuck her pills in. :D

Over the last few days, my "driving finger" (middle finger on my right hand) has been feeling achy. I may have to start on the glucosamine/chondroitin again.

I started having intense pain in the middle finger on my left hand about a year ago.  I too started taking glucosamine. I get the Spring Valley brand sold at WalMart.  I prefer the type without chondroitin, as I have never found it to make a difference. The chondroitin is supposed to make it absorb into your blood stream better, but I have never found a difference.  With chondroitin the pills are just slightly bigger, and I have a hard enough time taking pills anyway. 

Also more importantly, the glucosamine sulfate was shown to be much more effective at pain relief. The other form of glucosamine that is sold is hydrochloride.  The following quote was taken from Wikipedia:

"Glucosamine is often sold in combination with other supplements such as chondroitin sulfate and methylsulfonylmethane. Of the three commonly available forms of glucosamine, only glucosamine sulfate is given a "likely effective" rating for treating osteoarthritis"

Note that the Glucosamine is not a miracle drug, but it has reduced my discomfort in the finger of my left hand about 90%.  I take 2 1000mg tablets every morning before breakfast.  So far so good. 

Pat and I have been taking glucosamine for years after my neurosurgeon recommended it.  Recently Pat has had problems in her hands and my daughter recommended Turmeric as a possible help.  She has tried it and it has proven to help.  Pat has also had good results.  I can't take it as I am still on a powerful blood thinner and Turmeric adds more thinning so it is our for me till I get off this stuff next month.

cadee2c said:
You drive with that finger too heh?  ;)
It did for me. Ten years ago when I was just starting full timing I was driving a lot and I held the steering wheel with my left hand in such a way that it stressed my middle finger. When the pain got bad I started to notice the pain increased when I put my hand on the steering wheel. I was spreading my middle finger and ring finger and inserting the steering wheel into the spread. I am sorry if that is not too clear, it is hard to explain. But once I noticed it I changed my grip on the wheel and the pain went away.

DMSO is a solvent used or produced during paper pulping in mills. Decades ago trainers were using it on the joints in purebred racing horses to alleviate inflammation. Then it caught on in pro sports and trainers started using it on football players to reduce inflammation in joints. It still remains "non-sanctified" by the FDA for whatever reasons, probably influence from large drug companies that would be competing with it, as it's off patent. Being a solvent, it carries whatever is soluble in it into the user's body along with itself. That being said, all one has to do is clean the site to be treated thoroughly  and either leave it uncovered or covered by a clean white cloth until dry. It is either rubbed on the affected area directly or applied by roll-on applicator. It is available in small deodorant type roll-on bottles, usually as a 99% mixture with water or as bottles of DMSO to be applied by rubbing it on like rubbing alcohol would be applied. It also comes in an herbal mixture that smells somewhat like Absorbine Junior, if you might remember that from your youth.  It is somewhat oily in texture. If you have very sensitive skin it can itch or even mildly burn for a while after application. Since it is actually dissolving lipids in your epidermis to pass thru directly to the blood supply of the affected area, frequent use can "dry out" your skin in that immediate area. If so, just lay off it for a few days, then back at it. Often, there is a mild taste of raw oyster in the mouth for awhile within seconds of application (indicating how fast this gets to the blood stream). Although that may sound gross, it's not very strong and doesn't last very long. If you're like me, the taste isn't unpleasant at all.  It definitely helps me with my arthritic hands and the occasional muscle strain. Been using it since my college days (I'm 63) without any noticeable ill effects.  It's cheap. Give it a try---it's not for everyone.

I don't have any help with arthritis, but with the trigger finger, I just went through that a few months ago.  The only way I got relief was with cortisone shot if that had not worked the next step was surgery to take care of it. Thankfully the cortisone shot worked real well.

Just as I expected, the responses have been down right informative.
I wanted inputs from people with experience and the ability to express that knowledge intelligently.
Thank you all.
I must run my decisions as to what I will ingest ( past my Doctors ) since I take a number of medicines.
Each Doctor has a Web page with a individual account allowing communications between Doctor and patient for this type of immediate feedback (In theory anyway, we will see).
Thanking the following:
The Multi B suppliment per Sailerbird I will buy soon.
The Glucosamine 1000MG (one at first) maybe working up to two as per SargeW
Also, Jim Godward for pointing out Glucosamine as well.

Thanks again all........

I have a client who is a hand therapist.  She told me that much carpel tunnel and trigger finger is aggrevated by making fists in our sleep (which many people do).  Her suggestion is to put a splint or brace on the trigger finger at night when you sleep.  This will prevent the hand from making a fist.  Over time, the inflamation will decrease naturally and many people get adequate relief that way.  Not all, but many.  This is not somenthing that will provide immediate relief, but is more of a long term fix.  And yes, I have it too at 55.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom