Considering a '93 Wrangler YJ as a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanhui

I am considering a '93 Wrangler YJ--6 cyc automatic with about 146,000 miles as a toad for my Winnebago Brave. The owner claimed to have new motor mount, new transmission to transfer case seals and newer fuel pumps and wheels. It also comes with tow bar and auxiliary brake system (not currently wired.) Owner also claimed that he does not know of anything that requires fixing.

I have never driven a Jeep before. All I know is what I have learned from this forum about what makes a good toad and chatted with a Jeep-owner RV friend. I like to get additional advise on this Jeep.

What should I be looking for when I check out this Jeep?
For the '93 vehicle, what else are due for replacement and service?
If I need to have a mechanic to check it out, should I go to someone that specializes in Jeeps other than the dealer?

Thanks.

John Canfield said:
I strongly recommend you not buy a YJ - they have leaf springs and a very rough ride, look for a TJ (1997-2006.)

X2 What John said...I have a 2005 TJ after selling my 1979 CJ (leaf springs) and I am a believer.

I have a 93 YJ with about 230,000 miles on it and love it. Yes is it is a bit stiff on the suspension but a fun vehicle to drive.  It is cheap to fix and maintain with parts readily available anywhere. Not what I would call a long distance driver but a great around town vehicle.

Sr Fox said:
I have a 93 YJ with about 230,000 miles on it and love it. Yes is it is a bit stiff on the suspension but a fun vehicle to drive.  It is cheap to fix and maintain with parts readily available anywhere. Not what I would call a long distance driver but a great around town vehicle.

If you had the choice though of a YJ or a TJ which would you choose?

I agree that TJ's have a nicer ride, but if $'s are an issue, YJ's can be bought for quite a bit less, and they tow as well as any other Jeep. No matter what you look at, be sure and check the frames for rust, especially if looking for one in the rust belt. I've seen some that it's amazing the axles are still under them.

Thank you for the input. I am definitely looking for a cheap but fun ride with some around town driving.

I will check out for rust. Are there other specific squeaking, dripping, thumping that I should also check for this vintage vehicle? I could have a wrong impression that a Jeep with its 4WD and transfer case is more complicated with its transmission. Also Jeep owner could be rougher in driving the vehicle. Hence the extra caution in purchasing a 21 years old vehicle.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

John Canfield said:
Here's a good thread about YJ problem areas on the Pirate forum.

Good read John, I still love our old YJ and after putting in the 350 and automatic tranny I have eliminated almost all those problems on the thread except the headlight switch and the stiff springs. good thing is the springs were stiff enough that I didn't have to change them when I put the V8 in.

Attachments

• 089 (Medium).JPG
    089 (Medium).JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, John. The posted thread is very informative.

Of course, I have to remind myself that it is a 21 years old "toy" car. But knowing what to look for is an essential first step.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom