Wiring a brake controller in a Sprinter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butch50

Has anybody wired in a brake controller into a Sprinter chassis? I want to pull my trailers but want the brakes on the trailers to function and I have heard that there is something different about wiring in the controller than on a regular vehicle

Edit by staff: changed message icon to Topic Solved

Sure, if anybody here needs the info I'll gladly share it.

If you are installing a brake controller in your View/Navion there is something you need to be aware of. If you have the towing package on your unit, meaning it was factory equipped with a tow bar and a 7 pin plug at the rear then you most likely have a prewired rig.

If it is prewired than all the connections you want are under the driver side seat base. Some people have been lucky enough to take the fuse panel cover on the door side of the seat and looked under it and have found a 4 pin bright green connector. There is nothing on the other end.

You need to go to MB and get parts to hook into the other side of if you are daring you can cut the connector off and wire it directly to the brake controller.

Parts needed from MB are

One connector housing Part # A039 545 35 28
One 0.75 Wire Pin  Part # A046 545 40 28
Three 2.5 Wire Pin Part # A035 545 74 28

You will have to wire these wire pins to your pigtail that well be going to you brake controller.

You will find the follow 4 wires on the existing plug

Black with red tracer is for the brake light on the controller
Blue with back tracer is for the hot lead going to the 12VDC on the 7 pin plug on the rear of rig
Brown is Ground
Red with yellow tracer is 12VDC that well be routed through the controller to the 7 pin to operate brakes on trailer

On most brake controllers the follow leads will be connected via the plug are as follows

This is what color combination most controllers use, you will have to verify that your is this way.

Red =Brake Light from the controller to the black with red tracer on the existing plug
Blue =12VDC to the blue with black tracer on the existing plug
White =Ground to Brown on the existing plug
Black =12VDC to the controller red with yellow tracer on existing plug.

If you don't have the existing tow package then you are going to have to run all the wires for it yourself. You are going to have to decide where you pick up the needed leads. You might want to request help form MB because you want to make sure where you are hooking to so as not to cause any problems on your rig.

Use these directions at your own risk and I take no responsibility for any damage you might have because of them. If you don't feel comfortable doing this type of work than I suggest you have someone complete it for you.

Hope this makes sense to anybody that wants to use it.

Butch

Back
Top Bottom