Motorhome (RV)across Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flexitdriver

In response to a couple of requests, posting a link to a blog of one of our travel escapes, which some may find interesting - it may even inspire you to come and have a look at this great country we live in! :D

This trip was 36 weeks, and was our first in a motorhome, following many years of travelling on various motorcycles with camper trailer, and some in a smaller Campervan towing a motorcylce.
If there is sufficient interest, I may be able to post details of later, shorter trips.

Motorhomes (RVs) are a growing trend in Australia, where Caravans (Travel Trailers) are much more prominent.  Both are available for hire or rent, some even available on an exchange basis, which makes for an inexpensive holiday (vacation).

regards
Allen and Suzanne

Hi Allen and Suzanne,

Thanks for the link to your blog! I'm still going over your adventures.

Hi everyone:

I can't see the link to the blog Allen mentioned. It sounds like great reading for a newbie,..

Planning an RV trip in Au this fall and trying to stretch the budget..
Are there locations that allow free dry camping, like Walmart does here in Canada, and I assume the US?
Never drove an RV, never been to AU, the left hand side of the road could be interesting, but couldn't be worse than Manhattan!

Canuck57 said:
Hi everyone:

I can't see the link to the blog Allen mentioned. It sounds like great reading for a newbie,..

Planning an RV trip in Au this fall and trying to stretch the budget..
Are there locations that allow free dry camping, like Walmart does here in Canada, and I assume the US?
Never drove an RV, never been to AU, the left hand side of the road could be interesting, but couldn't be worse than Manhattan!
Free camping in Australia is not the same as it is in the US and Canada. Camping in shopping centre car parks is not allowed, but generally there plenty other options available. There is a large number of  country pups/hotels that will allow you to camp in their property for free, as long as you buy a meal or drink from them .  There are other areas that range from free to a small charge. Showgrounds (fair ground?) are also available in a lot of areas with all amenities such as toilets, showers and power for around $20 a night, then you have caravan parks which in most cases are more expensive.  Popular tourist areas have virtually no free camping and the only option is caravan parks.  A good app for you phone or tablet is Wiki Camps for small charge.  Good for checking what is available in the area you are visting.

The time of year you suggested is mostly fine in most parts of Australia and pleasant temperatures.

Warren

Gidday. Wayne from Aus. We have been travelling for about 10 months in a winnebago alpine on an Izusu npr 400. We have stopped at caravan parks 4 times to wash the bus, 3 times at show grounds for convenience but all the rest have been in the scub somewhere. There are lots of places to find out of the way using google sat, no nieghbours, no litter, no dunny paper, no noise etc. P.enty of peace and quiet, bird photography, star gazing, proper bush walks. The three cats are having a ball. The benefit of the izusu is that we can drive a lot of dirt tracks(slowly mind you!) to find some pretty magic places. It has taken this long to just do the eastern side of Queensland! Other benefit is with another 9kg gas (gives us 3) and roof rainwater collection, we can work on a safe month completely self subsistent. Yay yay the dometic fridge and big genny! Heading to Tassie now, I hear they have some pretty remote high counrty on the Western side. Cheers. Wayne

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom