'93 Fleetwood Class C range exhaust fan - the one on the side, not the hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pagecarl

On my newly purchased 1993 Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher Class C, 27'

On the passenger side of the body, immediately behind the oven, is a fan which is labelled HOT.  This is not the hood fan, but is behind the oven to the outside.  While plugged in to shore power, this fan blows almost all the time, even though the range/oven is not lit and in fact the propane is turned off.  In addition, all of the circuit breaker switches at the converter are off, but the fan continues to blow.

Is there a control for this somewhere I can't find?

Thanks for your assistance.

Sounds like the propane furnace, that's the only thing I can think of that would be labeled HOT.

Thanks, Happy, I think you're right.  I just can't understand why it continues to blow when the propane is turned off and the thermostat is down to off.  Is there some other way to turn it off?

Thanks for your reply

Carl

It does indeed sound as though the furnace fan is running, but I notice you said it is on almost all the time. Some further investigation as to when it does not run should shed some light on the problem.

Basically the thermostat puts +12v on the wire to the furnace when it wants heat and that immedaitely causes the fan to start running. A bad thermostat or a short to that wire from another 12v circuit would thus cause the furnace to try to start, but it would never achieve ignition if you have the LP source turned off.  You might turn the LP on to see if the furnace actually fires up, just as  way to verify our guesswork.

You could also disconnect the furnace feed wire from the thermostat to try to rule out a bad thermostat. What make & model of t-stat is it?

Thanks, Gary.  I'm going to try those couple of ideas, including turning on the gas to check for ignition.  I'll look for a make and model of the thermostat and come back with more information.

It loks like the furnace itself is a Hydro Flame Excaliber 8500.  I need to check the exact model.

Thanks for the ideas!

Carl

All the DSI furnaces (of which the Hydroflame is one) work pretty much the same - the +12v from the t-stat is the trigger that starts it but the furnace itself controls what happens once that +12v arrives. The furnace even has its own 12v power source - the 12v from the t-stat is just a signal and not a power source. The fan will run whenever there is +12v on that wire, even if the furnace never actually ignites.  See my Furnace Troubleshooting article in the forum Library is you want to know more - http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom