Electric heat question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

12openrange

I recently bought a used 2012 Open Range Journey. I'm living in it full time. The Trailer has two AC units. The 15K  ducted AC unit with electric heat was installed new when I bought the Trailer. The electric heat has been doing a good job until it got down to 33 degrees last night. It quit heating! You could hear the fan running but only cold air coming out.  My next door neighbor in the park told me those unit's won't keep up in really cold temps. I'm wondering did the electric coil burn out or shutdown to protect it self.  I turned it off. I'm going to try it again when it warms up this morning.  Any idea's????

Are you sure you don't have heat pumps rather than an electric heat strip?  Heat pumps will pretty much quit working once the temp gets below ~40 degrees.

As said above, you almost certainly have heat pumps.  Heat strips will work at all temperatures while heat pumps become less efficient as the temperature drops below 40?F, and stop working when the temperatures hit the low 30s.

You can get the brochure for your 2012 Journeyer here: http://www.openrangerv.com/PDFs/brochure-archive/2012/Journeyer-2012.pdf
Unfortunately, it doesn't stipulate whether the roof a/c is a heat pump or not, but they usually are in a nicely equipped late model RV. Your symptoms sure sound as though it is.

We have a heat pump in our sticks & bricks and when the outside temp drops too low the backup (or supplemental) heat (an electric resistance heat grid) kicks in automatically.  What kind of backup heat do RV heat pumps have?  Is the propane furnace supposed to come on?

Thanks for the help everybody. I should have got my manual out before posting the question, Sorry!  I do have a heat pump and it states clearly it shuts down below freezing to protect the coil. after it warmed
into the 40's, it works great again. Next time I'll have to use the Propane furnace or buy an electric space heater to help my electric fireplace.

Thanks again! I hope everyone had a great T-Day!!!!

Ron

CeeMike, I'm trying to find out now. I have a call into the service center where I bought the unit. Most are off for Thanksgiving. I turned my furnace on only to find out they didn't fill my Propane bottles.
Maybe it tried to come on while I was asleep. Part of Rving I guess!!! Live and learn!!!! Glad to see the sun out..lol

ceemike said:
We have a heat pump in our sticks & bricks and when the outside temp drops too low the backup (or supplemental) heat (an electric resistance heat grid) kicks in automatically.  What kind of backup heat do RV heat pumps have?  Is the propane furnace supposed to come on?

The mid-priced MH's I've seen do not have automatic switchover from the heat pump to the propane furnace.  Usually the thermostat has two heat settings; one is labled something like "heat" and the other is labeled "furnace."

Back
Top Bottom