traveling to Alaska in a 42 ft. tag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rustyhog

Hi Guys and Gals
Need to know if traveling to Ak. in a 42' M/C with a toad is a good idea as far as getting around, campgrounds set up for larges M/H and how the roads are with a lot of frost heave etc.  Do I make a plan to go or not ?

Go for it.  Many have gone before you with large motorhomes, you won't have any problems finding places to park.  And do take a towed, you won't see much without it.  The roads are what they are when you go.  Some will be fine, others will be bumpy but slow down for those and you'll be fine.

There are several trip logs in our forum library that you might want to read to see how others have experienced the AK adventure.  There are also many topics on traveling to AK that you can find by some searching.

The roads in Alaska are all pretty good and no problem on size of rig in campgrounds...it is the roads in Canada you need to be aware of and if you slow down and enjoy the scenery you will be fine....enjoy the trip. It is magnificent.

Read some of the journals on here, it is a great trip and many are well recorded with what to see and where to go!

Jim

Please take time to read the logs that others have posted.  They have a wealth of information.  We went to Alaska in 2012.  The winter before we left, I printed out all the most recent logs and we came up with a plan.  It was great knowing camping spots, things to do and "how stuff worked".

You will have a great time.  Be sure and write up a recap as you go.  It's fun for those of us who have been there to re-live it through your trip.

Marsha~

Hey Marsha
Thanks for the info, did you go in your bus, which is what -- 45' ?  - So you had no trouble with fueling stations being too small to handle a bus with a toad ??
I have been reading about some of the members trips to AK.  They all sound great and not all that expensive for meals and fuel !!
Again Thanx for the come-back
Russ :) :)

Yes, we took the Allegro Bus.  Our bus is 36' ....a shortie.  Truth be known I lust for an over 40' but that's for another thread.    ;)

We didn't have any trouble with getting into fuel stations.  I actually don't remember any that were too small or tight.  We did watch our gauge and fill when we were at the 1/2 mark.  There were gas/diesel stations everywhere.  There was one stretch where they boosted the cost of fuel really high.  So many of the logs I read suggested fueling up at a particular location and then bypassing the high priced place.

Also we live in California so the prices were the same for us when we traveled Alaska.  It was much higher i.e. food, fuel and campgrounds in Canada; a significant difference.

Be aware that the campgrounds both in Alaska and Canada and somewhat "rustic".  They will have gravel instead of concrete etc.  That's where the trip logs came in handy because we could read/review and then choose where we wanted to stay.  With some campgrounds there is no choice, so you just consider it an adventure and go on.

We did buy a Sterling  "Protect a tow" which is a net like material that lays horizontal between the coach and the tow car.  We did not get the "shield" which is a hard plastic that hooks vertically to the front of the car.  I had heard stories of rocks hitting the shield then bouncing into the rear engine.  The "net" caught the rocks that were kicked up from the road and bounced them back down.  We didn't have any damage on either the coach or the tow car.  But we did go VERY SLOW when the road was bad.  Sometimes if we could see that the oncoming traffic (one vehicle  :) ) was approaching we would pull over to the side to avoid rocks thrown up by it passing.  Here is the website for the Protect a tow http://roadmasterinc.com/products/protection_storage/protect_store.html    We still use it.  I also made a window cover out of flannel lined vinyl which protected the tow window.

In 2012, ATT was the best cell coverage in Alaska.  If you have a Verizon phone, you can add Canadian Coverage for $20.00 more per month using your existing plan.  This does not include data.  We used only campground Wifi and did fine.  Since we pay everything online, we would make sure we were somewhere that had wifi to pay bills when needed.

Oh, also think about buying a tour coupon book.  It paid for itself very quickly.  And buy/order the Milepost, it's fabulous for letting you know where things are, services available and if you can fit into a rest stop.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom