Observations re the Blue Ridge Parkway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

We recently traveled the BRP in a 28' class C and here are some observations. We traveled south from Front Royal, VA and hit the autumn leaves pretty much at their peak. 

(1) Plan on finding a campground for Friday night and staying put until Monday morning. The traffic on the weekend is about a jillion times worse because of the locals getting out. The difference was unbelievable.

(2) If you are pulling a toad or a travel trailer or a fiver, be aware that some of the overlooks are not laid out with a different entrance and exit. Some of them require you to make a U-turn and go back out the way you came in. The trouble is, sometimes you can't tell that in advance and you are in trouble before you know it. Because we were only 28' and not pulling a toad, we were able to get out but with a trailer it would have been a disaster - especially if the overlook is packed with vehicles.

(3) At the south end, near Cherokee, the last three tunnels are very low - reminding me of the tunnels in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
You will be okay if you hug or straddle the center line, but depending on traffic, a potential problem.

(4) The National Forest campgrounds right on the Parkway are really nice, but fill up early. In one case, we were literally the last rig in before they were full. Plan on stopping early - 4 o'clock or so.

All in all, a beautiful drive and well worth the effort to get there from Wyoming.

Bill

Bill, you made some good points. We love the Blue Ridge Parkway but one needs to slow down and see nature while on the parkway. We did not make it to the parkway this year but we were in Ashville, NC  the weekend of the 27 of Oct.  It was crazy, everyone was out seeing the leaves. Don't expect to see much civilization on the parkway. I had to laugh at my sister and brother-in-law. While traveling on the parkway in their MH they got off after 40 miles because "all we saw were trees".

Frank 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom