Update on DNS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

As posted earlier, we have a home account with DirecTv and only one receiver, a HD Genie DVR. We transfer the Genie to the motorhome when traveling.

After talking to a DirecTv rep, I mailed in the forms for DNS about three weeks ago. The address I put on the form was the billing address, our PO box in Wyoming.

We are now sitting in Madison, MS for Thanksgiving, and guess what! The east coast feeds are there and come in fine (channels 396, etc.) The feeds are east coast because the "installation address" is in Arkansas. I assume that when we take the Genie to Wyoming next summer and change the "installation address", we will get the west coast feeds.

Anyway, DNS on a home account?? Now I am confused.

Did DirecTV make an error?

Are we legal?

Do we care?

Am I TOTALLY confused?

Regards,
Bill

At a guess, Direct made a mistake, unless perhaps they converted your account to a mobile one. You may not know for sure until you get back home, but legally (per the FCC) you should have DNS instead of locals no matter where you go.

Don't count on a change of installation address changing the feeds from East to West. I've read a couple of reports from people who found that it could not be readily changed once East or West is chosen. Doesn't make any sense, but the policy (DTV and FCC) aren't clear and the clerks that interpret them to customers are mostly confused.interpret

Personally I wouldn't ask them anything or question it unless and until something doesn't go as you expected.  If you're getting what you want now, don't rock the boat.

ArdraF

It is my understanding that the East vs West DNS decision is based on your "billing address" not the "service address".  Our billing address is in eastern SD which is on Central Time and we get the eastern feeds.  Friends of ours with a western SD address (Mountain Time) have the western feeds.

As for DirecTV making mistakes we have gotten locals PLUS DNS for 4 years.  I'm not complaining; we leave the locals set for our winter location so we can watch the local weather if we wish.

It is my understanding that the East vs West DNS decision is based on your "billing address" not the "service address".  Our billing address is in eastern SD which is on Central Time and we get the eastern feeds.  Friends of ours with a western SD address (Mountain Time) have the western feeds.

docj,

This doesn't compute either - our billing address is Wyoming, which is Mountain Time, but we have eastern feeds.

Andra,

Good advice - I will keep my mouth shut unless things get messed up.

Bill

Bill, have you had DNS for awhile? When they switched to The HD DNS package IIRC we were allowed to choose E, W, or Both but that is now a grandfathered option unless they mess up which seems to happen quite often and as Gary said they don't have many who can interpret their policy consistently.

At a guess, Direct made a mistake, unless perhaps they converted your account to a mobile one. You may not know for sure until you get back home, but legally (per the FCC) you should have DNS instead of locals no matter where you go.

Gary,

We are back home, and the local networks are right where they need to be and come in fine. There has been no e-mail or whatever to suggest they changed my account. Monday night we had DNS in the MH and Tuesday afternoon, at home, we had locals - channels 3,5, etc.

Ardra,

My apologies - I misspelled you name on my last post. Good advice.

Jeff,

No, I have only had DNS for a couple of weeks at best. I mailed in the paperwork about three weeks ago, but only discovered I had the stations about 5 days ago.

Bill

Amazing, Bill, but very fortunate for you.  I've heard of a few other cases like yours as well.

I have DTV with DNS and my mobile account only gets DNS, even when at home and parked in my yard (which is both the billing and service address).

Amazing, Bill, but very fortunate for you.  I've heard of a few other cases like yours as well.

Gary,

To compound the mystery, we have locals on 3,5, etc. AND the DNS on 390, etc. I have no idea how that happened, but I hope DirecTv remains in the dark.

No telling what will happen when we go to Wyoming for the summer and change the "installation address".

But, until then, I will not contact them in any way.

Bill

We currently have Corpus Christi locals and East Coast DNS.  Two summers ago I needed a service call while we were on the Olympic Peninsula.  The DTV CSR said "you can't have a service call there because your service address is Corpus Christi".  I wasn't sure what she was going to do about that, but she didn't hesitate and immediately changed our service address to Port Townsend WA where we got our service call and watched Seattle locals for the rest of the summer.  When we returned to Corpus we switched the service address back.

Back
Top Bottom