Eye Glasses ---- variable focus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

I wonder if anyone can comment on this product. Have you used/tried them ?

Available from Amazon and several other sources.  (Focus specs)

Am currently using 4 differing reading glasses between 1.5 and 3.0. I have no astigmatism.
just focal length problems since I was 45 years old.

Your opinions, please if you have any,

A brief description here >>> http://www.focusspecs.com/info/how_it_works

I went with tri-focals. One strength for 12-14" away for reading, one at 24" for computer/dashboard etc. and upper section is for distance. It takes a while to get used to them and I hate the "blended" lenses. I have the hard lines and I like it that way.

Ken

I'm not sure how this product would be advantageous over cheap drug store cheaters for reading.
It looks like it would be excellent for a mono-vision correction (which I have for contacts) setting one eye plus and one eye minus.

I have trifocal lens now with no lines.

These are adjustable per the ad.
That is interesting. I have not talked with anyone that uses them.
I have seen then mentioned before.

There is also a different way of lens making in Europe that  is
reported to be superior to that of the USA. But these are not
the same.

If I was changing glasses to perform different tasks I would try them.

I had progressive lens for years and really liked them.  Then I had neck surgery and suddenly, I found I was unable to comfortably position my head for the best magnification.  I had to switch to tri-focals and I don't like them - but, I can find the right section for reading, computing and distance with little discomfort.  Guess I'll eventually get used to them.

I'm in the minority with the progressive lenses. I wear the mono vision contacts all day and wear the cheap full lens cheaters in bed reading. Tried the bifocals. Did a lot of head bobbing trying to find the sweet spot and finally gave up. Love the contacts.

Vision correction is not always just focus, There are at least 3 different things a good properly ground pair of glasses can correct. These address only one (focal Length)  Talk to you EYE doc for a better understanding of the other two.

I have three pair of glasses. I wear trifocals for everyday normal activities. I have a pair of computer glasses, which I can only use for seeing at a distance of a couple of feet. I cant see distances with it. Which is why I got the third pair. It has two parts similar to bifocals but they are half medium distance glasses and half distance. This is so I can use the computer, but look up at people who stop by my office, or see what the professor is writing on the whiteboard.

I was using my regular trifocals, but when working on the computer, in order to see well, I had to hold my head in such a way that I was getting a sore stiff neck a lot. My massage therapist loved it. She made a lot of money of me.

Glasses like these, if they worked well, would be great under those conditions. Its a pain to have to keep track of and change 3 pairs of glasses. However, they come in two different types of glasses, one for near sighted and one for far sighted. I have one of each; far sighted in one eye and nearsighted in the other.

BinaryBob said:
I'm in the minority with the progressive lenses. I wear the mono vision contacts all day and wear the cheap full lens cheaters in bed reading. Tried the bifocals. Did a lot of head bobbing trying to find the sweet spot and finally gave up. Love the contacts.
I have been wearing the mono vision contacts for over 10 years. After wearing the pair for a short period I realized that I didn't need the second lens. I just wear one lens for reading. I don't wear a contact in the other eye. Not as good as reading glasses, but works great for everyday tasks including computer usage. I'll switch to glasses in the evening for just reading. 

These are special purpose glasses.  They come in two types, one for reading and one for far vision.  The web site clearly says "These glasses do not work for astigmatisms".  And the frames are really ugly :(

The frames aren't that ugly if you like the Peabody and Sherman look. 

I have progressive eyeglasses.  I prefer them over bifocals or trifocals with lines.  I discovered that not all progressive lens are created equal.  High quality progressive glasses have less distortion but they cost more.  Also I prefer the progressive lenses that have a wider middle channel/corridor for intermediate vision.    I currently have Verilux lenses.

Here's an article about progressive lenses:  www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/progressives.htm

I need a new pair of glasses so I am seriously considering Lasik and wondering about people's experience with mono or modified mono Lasik, implants. or contacts.  I'll start another thread on that.

Those glasses are stylish these days.  8) Look around you, all the hipsters are wearing round black lenses. lol

I had Lasik done about 10yrs ago on one eye (mono vision) it worked great for me.My brother had it the same day and he was never satisfied with it.
I had  a full retinal detachment last March in my Lasik eye and now vision is very distorted but I can see some.It makes me really appreciate what I had.
When i  had the detachment we were on the way home from Fl,long way to drive with one eye.My wife has since started to drive and does quite well. It is nice to take a break and let her drive 

I've worn glasses my entire life (from age 5 before I started school).  With age I needed bifocals but eventually even the bifocals just didn't do it for me.  The dashboard, the computer, and even cutting my toenails were in the "can't quite see it" mid-range area.  I struggled with multiple pairs of glasses for a couple of years because I had heard people say they couldn't adjust to trifocals.  Well, I finally gave up and got trifocals.  I love them!  I use them for everything, including the above-mentioned dashboard and computer.  I adjusted to them within a few days and you couldn't pay me to change them.  I have the ones with lines.  I would not like the progressive lenses without lines.

Cadee2C - It's hard these days to get a really good prescription.  You need a better ophthalmologist if you're having all those problems.  He/she needs to work with you to get an optimal prescription.  Also, the size of the lens can be very important.  Many frames nowadays are too small to fit a good trifocal lens.  My frame is somewhat larger with the ultrathin lenses to reduce weight (I have a strong prescription).  I have what they call an executive style lower reading portion which is wider than an ordinary reading lens.

The need for a good ophthalmologist can't be stressed enough if you have a complex prescription, but make sure the optician is good too.  Most of us reach a point as we get older that it's no longer viable to wear drugstore reading glasses.  To my way of thinking, our eyes are too important not to treat them the best way we can.  I go to a really competent ophthalmologist and a non-chain optician who really knows her business and works with us to get a proper-size frame and good lenses.

By the way, just last week I mentioned to our optician that I delayed getting trifocals because I had heard people say they couldn't adjust to them.  She thought the comment interesting and said she's only had two customers in all her years of being an optician who really couldn't adjust to trifocals.  After reading some of your comments I can't help but wonder if those who complain about trifocals either don't have a good ophthalmologist or a good optician or both.  If you're seriously having problems, then you probably need to find new providers.

ArdraF

I had LASIK about 12 years ago and have been happy with them.
The main thing to be aware of is if they corrected both eyes at the same time you will develop a need for cheaters. I needed cheaters almost right away  (about 1-2 months)
There as been a lot of years between when I had mine done so likely outcomes are improved. My optometrist has said he can re laser one of my eyes for close reading etc 
And leave the other eye alone. I haven't met anyone who has said it done yet (for feedback). I would do it again just to get out of wearing my cheaters!

I was always blessed with way better than 20/20 vision my whole life.... could see like a microscope close up compared to most folks, and spot thing ar out that most folks couldn't..... until my arms started shrinking around 41 years of age....
Then I started noticing that my eyes would be very tired at the end of the day
Tired of constantly not having my cheaters when i needed them
so I went in to try a set of progressives.... clear on top with the cheaters in the bottom.  Figured I would just wear them all the time so I wouldn't have to keep up with them.

apparently i have had a slight astigmatism my whole life, as well as some level of correction required, but my younger eyes could just compensate.  That's at least what they tell me.
I think its a scam..... you'll get used to it.... then when i do it's just enough to make me need my glasses!
I have found that I have little patience for the cheaper progressives..... but the really high dollar ones are ok.  Not great but ok.

I think I might go in for a surgery consult some day, and see if I can just go back to readers.  Might be cheaper in the long run.

Brad, yes I remember being 41; that's when my arms got shorter too. As noted in my OP I did not have astigmatism...just focus limitation.  After having 20:15 vision until that age.

It is called PRESBYOPIA.. (google it..lot's of interesting info).
My first set of prescription glasses were basically just readers. Didn't last very long. I suppose the focusing ability becomes less over time. After that I tried progressives and they were totally useless to me;;even made me dizzy..LOL.
  The bifocals and they too did not work out..too many in between distances where they were useless; I threw them away.
If you re-read my OP you will see that I want to solve the 4 reader problem. I am not holding my breath. I think it is like waiting for pigs to fly. An age-old problem (no pun intended) for geezers like you and me.

Am still waiting for some input from someone who has tried/used those magic lenses described in my link in OP.

I wonder if WD-40 will work loosening up the focus muscles...lol.

I just might spend 30 bucks and come up with my own conclusion with the adjustable glasses.
  Maybe even motorize them with remote control.  Is there an APP for that ?  ::)

Surgery of any kind is not my cup o'tea.

It's nice to dream once in a while.

Cheers.

My sociology teacher, who was kind of an odd person, told us about William H. Bates cure for vision problems. He said he had been wearing bifocals and had just been prescribed trifocals when he found the book Bates had written. It listed a bunch of exercises and the teacher swore by those exercises. To give him credit, he did not wear any glasses that we ever saw, nor did he have contacts.

This site explains what its about. http://cleareyesight.info/id63.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom