USPS mail forwarding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Having read numerous discussions over the years on mail forwarding, and having tried a few options, I asked a neighbor with an out-of-state home how they managed it. The answer was USPS Premium Forwarding, with a resounding endorsement.

I really had no desire to change our 'home' address to something else just so we could get a forwarding service, so USPS sounded like a good way to go. Our neighbor reported that the USPS collects your mail and, once a week, ships it to your new destination, where it usually arrives two days later.

There's a $15 1-time sign-up fee and $17/week for the premium service. There's also a non-premium service for a lower fee. Everything, including signup and dates of service (including changes) are handled online.

I'll report on the service in a few weeks.

Tom

Many friends at Happy Trails use the USPS forwarding from homes up north to HT in the winter and seem to get good service.

Doesn't work on the road where the forwarding address changes but is quick and easy when the mail us forwarded to one address.

Jeff, good point re continually changing destination. In our case, it won't change (this time), and I can see how it works for snowbirds.

Tom, we have used the USPS premium forwarding service at least 3 times now.  In our case we had a static address (son's) to have the mail forwarded to.  Local PO gathered and shipped on Wednesday in CO and we usually had the package on Friday in MN.  Worked well for us.

Howard

Just use the free forwarding USPS service and have all mail sent to our sons' in Houston. They get mail and if it is anything of importance, they make a copy and e-mail it to us. Has worked great so far.

I use the free USPS mail forwarding service fro NH to FL. They send it out as soon as they get it. The only issue is it takes about 10 days total for us to get it  from the time it gets mailed. As far as stopping the service, about 14 days before we head home, I have to mail the post office a post card telling them to start holding my mail and that I will pick it up when I get back NH.

If I'm going to be at one location for more than a few weeks and want to get mail, I just use plain old USPS temporary mail forwarding to that physical address. You file the same (online or paper) form as with a permanent change of address, but there is a option for temporary change and a start/end date. I have found the PO to be very good at observing the dates, but to be safe I always allow and extra day on either end of the time period to make sure.

Just so you know that some things will not forward,  like bank statements and insurance statements. They will get sent back to sender.

Denny

Just so you know that some things will not forward,  like bank statements and insurance statements.

Perhaps from a few senders, but I don't think that is common. At any rate, it's not something the USPS does or doesn't do - it's up to the sender. All First Class (and better) mail is forwarded unless the sender specifies that it should not be. For example, if the item is marked "Return Service Requested", it doesn't get forwarded.

Tom originally said he did not want to "change his home address", but temporary forwarding is no different in that regard than the Premium Forwarding Service. You have to file a form (electronic or paper) specifying a date range and a destination address.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Rene: All that can be done online. No need to fill out a paper form or mail a postcard.

Hi Gary,
Yes I knew that but the postal clerk just gave me the post card and all I have to do is drop it in the mail box at the campground. Next year, I'll look into it. Thanks.

The effectiveness may be dependent on your home location. Our local post office has trouble even doing a temporary mail hold for a week or so. On more occasions than not, they screw up the stop...sometimes missing it completely. We've had more than a couple of calls from our neighbors, letting us know the mailbox was starting to overflow.

The last few years I used FMCA's mail forwarding service, which they've discontinued.  I've decided to use the the USPS standard temporary mail forwarding service this year since we plan to stay at one location.  I receive most statements (bank, credit card, etc.) electronically so I don't have to worry about them.  I've discovered that I can enter a temporary address change with the magazines I receive so I've done that. 

Like PorscheMark I've had problems with some (probably temporary) letter carriers leaving mail in our box so I have a cardboard box that fills the mailbox almost completely, leaving no room for any mail.  I attach a note on the end of the box saying my mail is being forwarded or held.  I also have a neighbor check the mailbox periodically as a backup. 

ceemike said:

Like PorscheMark I've had problems with some (probably temporary) letter carriers leaving mail in our box so I have a cardboard box that fills the mailbox almost completely, leaving no room for any mail.  I attach a note on the end of the box saying my mail is being forwarded or held.  I also have a neighbor check the mailbox periodically as a backup.

Do what I do. Just remove the mailbox. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom