Which size Sprinter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmdel01

Greetings to all, this is my first post at this forum. I really have enjoyed the reading and information on all the boards.
I am considering purchasing a Class B van(probably a Sprinter). My main concern is which size: the 18.5ft or the 21.5ft. I guess the main issue is parking the 21.5 footer in a busy parking lot(restaurants, stores, etc.). I know the 18.5ft isn't as much of an issue because there are a few other vehicles: pick-up trucks, vans, and suv's that size that I see often in? busy parking lots.

Thanks for your input,
David L.

Our Chevrolet Express extended van is 19'10" long as build and with bike racks or other stuff attached to the back can be 22" plus a litte.  Either case I park in large lots near the back, away from cars and traffic as much as possible.  The van really takes one and half parking spots. Using two spots gives me a pull through, keeps rear end out of traffic area and out of harms way.  Just to big and to much invested in it to treat it like a "small" car or SUV.

I do the same. If I can't find a spot where I can "pull thru" I find several spots way in the back and take up about 4 cross-ways (depending on parking lot size and common sense).
Transports and other larger MH's do the same.
Your other possibility is your back overhang. It comes with some advantages. If there's nothing in the way, you can always park with the back overhanging grass or something so you can use one parking spot and not have either front or back sticking out into traffic.
Never do I park in the middle with ordinary cars and truck and regular vehicles unless I absolutely have to. And I don't believe I've absolutely had to so far... I don't want to risk it either.

cmdel01 said:
Greetings to all, this is my first post at this forum. I really have enjoyed the reading and information on all the boards.
I am considering purchasing a Class B van(probably a Sprinter). My main concern is which size: the 18.5ft or the 21.5ft. I guess the main issue is parking the 21.5 footer in a busy parking lot(restaurants, stores, etc.). I know the 18.5ft isn't as much of an issue because there are a few other vehicles: pick-up trucks, vans, and suv's that size that I see often in  busy parking lots.

You'll appreciate the interior room more than you'll be troubled by parking issues. Even the 22 foot sprinter (which I own) is only a bit bitter than a large SUV. We just park it at an outer spot, sometimes taking up two when we know it won't trouble anyone else; walk an extra 50 feet in the parking lot, no big deal.

That size allows nice separation beween the bed area and the front seats, plenty of storage. Definitely recommend the 22' model.

I agree that the 22ft isn't too hard to park. Most of the time it's more of a challenge to fit UNDER things!
R

Back
Top Bottom