Help with Thunderbird and G-mail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

I normally get my e-mail on a desktop at home but use this laptop on the road. Running windows 7, Thunderbird and avast.
Last time we used it, 3 months back, it worked great. Last week I tried to load e-mail and it wouldn't load. Played around with it for a while and finally asked for a password, I said aha, I had changed it recently. Entered the new password and retrieved the mail. Now it won't even ask for password. I even used Mozilla suggestion of deleting password from the computer memory system.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong. Desktop still loads it.

Delete the password from Thunderbird's store.  Options | Security | Save Passwords, and delete the entry for that mail server.  Then the next time you fetch mail, you will be prompted for your password.  Let Thunderbird manage the password and you shouldn't be asked again.

Well that seems to work, although its the same thing I did earlier.

Maybe it just needed the " Ned's Seal of Approval "

Thanks

There's a "new" setting in gmail/Google for "enhanced security" or  "security for 3rd party apps" that has to be "allowed" for Mozilla to work on this pc...  FWIW.

taoshum said:
There's a "new" setting in gmail/Google for "enhanced security" or  "security for 3rd party apps" that has to be "allowed" for Mozilla to work on this pc...  FWIW.

If you're referring to the App Passwords feature, that's only involved if you set up two factor authentication.  Most people don't bother, although it does increase the security immensely when using public computers for access.

Ned said:
If you're referring to the App Passwords feature, that's only involved if you set up two factor authentication.  Most people don't bother, although it does increase the security immensely when using public computers for access.

That might apply as well but this is the setting I mentioned:  Go to Google Dashboard, Security Tab,  then scroll down to:

Account permissions
Apps and websites View all
Access for less secure apps DisabledSettings

It's like an intermediate setting between simple password and two level authentication

OTOH, I've been wrong before.

There is no Security tab on the Google Dashboard.  Are you referring to the Google Account Settings page?  If so, this is what my Account permissions looks like.  There is no link for "Access for less secure apps".  Have you enabled 2-step authentication?  If not, then this may be the reason I don't see that option.

Attachments

• AccountPermissions.PNG
    AccountPermissions.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 7
Ned said:
There is no Security tab on the Google Dashboard.  Are you referring to the Google Account Settings page?  If so, this is what my Account permissions looks like.  There is no link for "Access for less secure apps".  Have you enabled 2-step authentication?  If not, then this may be the reason I don't see that option.

I tried it (two level auth) for a few days but returned to the prior settings after my DW understood how much more complex it becomes.  I don't know what the difference could be between what I see and your screen?  Here's the link to the page I see... https://www.google.com/settings/security  Dashboard was the wrong reference??? but you can get to it from the settings/data page.  interesting.

2 step authentication requires the use of text messaging or the Google Authenticator on a smartphone.  Once you authenticate on a computer, it you can tell Google to trust that computer and it won't prompt for the authentication code again.  It's an excellent security feature if you use public computers or public WiFi as you need more than just a user name and password.  The authentication code changes every 60 seconds so even if someone did see the code, it would do them no good.  I use it for everything that supports it, like LastPass, Evernote, and Google.

There is a Google Dashboard but it doesn't have any security settings. Again, I suspect the difference in the two security settings box is I use the 2 step authentication and you do not.

Ned said:
2 step authentication requires the use of text messaging or the Google Authenticator on a smartphone.  Once you authenticate on a computer, it you can tell Google to trust that computer and it won't prompt for the authentication code again.  It's an excellent security feature if you use public computers or public WiFi as you need more than just a user name and password.  The authentication code changes every 60 seconds so even if someone did see the code, it would do them no good.  I use it for everything that supports it, like LastPass, Evernote, and Google.

There is a Google Dashboard but it doesn't have any security settings. Again, I suspect the difference in the two security settings box is I use the 2 step authentication and you do not.

Now, I'm curious.  Next week I'll turn 2 step on again, just to see if the "security" option goes away.  Thx.

If you have a Smartphone, get the Google Authenticator from the Play store and try the 2-step authentication.  It increases security immensely.

Back
Top Bottom