Family Class A Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

Over our six years or so of RVing we've gone from a 10' slide-in truck camper to 30-ish foot 5th wheel (Thor Jazz 2780BH that measures 32' bumper to front cap).  Now we're thinking about a Class A diesel pusher, primarily for the comfort of traveling bus-style, enjoying the rig's amenities and space while under way.  We're more or less happy with the space of the 5th wheel, although it has only one slide (we'd like a bedroom slide at least, in addition to a big living area slide).  With a small bunkhouse, it's a great floor plan for the kids.  Mom and dad staying up later, or rising to cook breakfast, does not impact their sleep.  Plus they lay on the bunks to read or watch movies when the weather's bad, and parent's occupy the living area.  But two adults, two kids, (occasionally three) and two small dogs in a shorter crew cab (04 Dodge Quad Cab) looses it's appeal swiftly.  And it would be nice to tow a boat occasionally.  Given the investment difference, from acquisition to greater fixed costs plus maintenance and worse MPG, making the switch is a bit of an uphill battle already.  What's really throwing me is the lack of floor plans that seem suit families.  Class A motorhomes with bunk rooms are rare, and generally tend to be newer than we plan to invest in (2000-2005 model years are sort of the target range).  Even if we had the budget for a two or three year old unit, I think it would be a long, frustrating search to find a bunkhouse version that meets all our other criteria. 

I'm just fearful that even with our wiliness to add quite a bit of space (38 or 40 footer versus 30 footer), we may be taking a step backward in managing family comfort.  So I'm wondering if anyone that has spent much time with kids in a diesel pusher would care to comment on how they cope with sleeping arrangements and personal space?  Of course specific suggestions for somewhat older models that might have bunks would be appreciated too.

This will not be much help.  I bought a nice Winnie Journey 2001 36DL near Charlotte NC last January From a younger guy with wife and 3 kids ranging from about 6 to 13 years old.  He owned it about a year and took one 6 week trip out to the Rocky Mountains.  His wife did not like it and with kids sleeping on the floor, I can see why.  After I paid him for the motor-home he told me he was going to buy a 5th wheel! 

Fortunately most units we are checking out have plenty of convertible sleeping space, so the floor sleeping is not really the issue.  Our wish is to be able to use the living space with kids in bed.  That is, not our master bed!

Does anybody know of any early-2000s diesel pushers that have a bunk bed set up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom