Choices for correcting eyesight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I am considering Lasik.  According to my Ophthalmologist I am an excellent candidate.  Now I have to choose:

1.  Lasik and wear readers.
2.  Monovision Lasik. 
3.  Modified Monovision Lasik.

Today, I think these are decisions that most older people who have Lasik, wear contacts, or who have lens implants have to make.  My Ophthalmologist gave me a free pair of monovision contact lenses to try out.  I'm not sure I like the monovision but I'm guessing it takes more than one day for my brain to adjust to monovision. 

Now I'm wondering about modified monovision.  One eye would be adjusted for far, one eye adjusted for intermediate and I would need readers for very near.  I haven't found anyone who has modified monovision. 

I spend a lot of time on the computer (intermediate vision),  I read a lot at night (near vision), and I'm fairly active (far vision).  I also do a lot of photography.  Decisions, decisions.... 

I'm looking for opinions from people who have experience with monovision or modified monovision corrected eyesight.  What did you chose and why?  How long did it take for your eyes to adjust?

If you wear glasses take one lens out for a couple of weeks.That is what i did before my Lasik

Robert I don't understand your suggestion to take out one of my lenses.  I would barely be able to see anything out of the eye without any corrective lens.  The correction I have in the free contacts the Opthamologist gave me to try is -2.00 and -3.75.  That would be for monovision.

I elected LASIC monovision and adapted w/in a few days (very near sighted originally). If I were to do it over I'd leave the near vision eye and just have the correction for a far sighted eye, but that's just because my near vision was fine. Overall I'm pleased with the results and haven't worn glasses of any type for fifteen years or so.

Caveats: Be sure your dominent eye is set for far vision if possible.
                You will require higher light levels with monovision since only one eye is working at a time. Not a real problem for me.

Ernie

I only had the Lasik for far sight on one eye did nothing for the other eye .That is why I removed one lens from my glasses to prepare for it.At the time I could read fine without glasses so only corrected for distance. My eyes and brain at 44 corrected a lot better than they are doing at 54 with my retina detachment and reattachment and one cataract surgery  on the bad eye  :eek:

I have had Ciba Multi focal contacts for about 3 years.  My distance vision was great but needed about a 1.5 reader to see anything close.  Eventually my arms were not long enough.  I love these contacts and though they recommend changing them every 30 days, I used the same ones for up to a year with no issues at all. I wear them 24/7

I wear mono vision contacts and I just wear one lens, the reading lens. My distance vision is good. At night I take the lens out and just use glasses when I need them. I can't see paying for Lasik if I'm still going to need reading glasses.

I wore contacts for years and years.  I just tried them again on Sunday and remembered why I stopped wearing them.  So I'm pretty sure I'm going the Lasik route.  I'm just not sure whether to have both eyes adjusted to distance, monovision, or modified vision. 

However if I decide to go monovision or modified monovision I will ask about Ciba Multi focal contacts that Sr Fox mentioned for my left eye.

Back
Top Bottom