SAFE TOWING SPEED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once you  factor in tire and speed restrictions, I figure that driving at a speed you feel most comfortable is the primary consideration.

So there you have it....

Here's another consideration.....you're going down the highway, and a sudden 40 mph sidewind hits you (not terribly uncommon out here).  Trailer starts to do ugly things.  Do you stand a better chance of gathering it up at 55 or 70? 

I don't know about other states, but in Washington at least, vehicles with trailers are subject to the the posted Truck speed limit which, at most, is 60 mph.  As previously noted, California has a 55 mph speed limit.  I imagine many other states have similar restrictions. 

I tend to do 55 when I have the trailer behind me because when I'm traveling with my house, I'm really not in any hurry and I like the better mileage and increased safety margin.

Old Blevins said:
I don't know about other states, but in Washington at least, vehicles with trailers are subject to the the posted Truck speed limit which, at most, is 60 mph.  As previously noted, California has a 55 mph speed limit.  I imagine many other states have similar restrictions. 

I tend to do 55 when I have the trailer behind me because when I'm traveling with my house, I'm really not in any hurry and I like the better mileage and increased safety margin.

Here's a useful tool that includes Canada as well.

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

-Bob

I find it interesting that almost all replied 55-65 MPH for towing. What I am wondering is who is driving all those RVs that pass me like I am sitting still when I am doing 60?

Old Blevins said:

It's not just 55 mph for vehicles towing trailers.....California also restricts any vehicle with more that 2 axles to 55 mph. (as well as a right lane only except for passing)

so all you guys with tag axle class A motorhomes....you may can get a nice little $400 ticket for going 65 down the middle lane of the freeway.

the state is almost bankrupt and they're looking for revenue everywhere.

halfwright said:
I find it interesting that almost all replied 55-65 MPH for towing. What I am wondering is who is driving all those RVs that pass me like I am sitting still when I am doing 60?

LOL! Wondering the same thing, I typically travel between 55-60 for safety and fuel savings.

halfwright said:

Some of them have had mishaps that they aren't going to share here.... ;)

I see them too.  It's like playing Russian Roulette.....It's theoretically possible to get away with it forever.....but it can also be fatal on the first pull.

Just looked at the towing laws link that was provided.  I am amazed at how many states have a 55 MPH towing maximum. I suppose it depends on where you drive but where I go more than half the states are 55 MPH and it would be hard to keep changing your speed and remember which state you are in.  Easier for me to take my time and get to the Wal*Mart a little later.

I really miss the national 55 mph speed limit.  That should get a few rises :)

If I recall correctly many of the tires are rated at either 65 or 75 mph at a certain temperature.  Many are derated for higher temps so running at the tire rated speed on a hot day will be a setup for interesting events.  We see it around here somewhat frequently as the temps in the summer get into the high 90s on occasion.  I used to work volunteer communications for search and rescue as well as a couple of the fire departments here and the calls are not that uncommon for RVs in ditch or rollover due to blown tires.

Drive carefully and be aware of the ratings on your tires.

Ned said:
I really miss the national 55 mph speed limit.  That should get a few rises :)

Ned I grew up in Montana and learned to drive when the highway rule was "reasonable and proper".  As long as you did not cross the centerline or cut someone off or other stupid thing, you were OK to drive whatever speed you wanted.  But woe to whomever did any of those items as the charge was "Recklessdriving" and the fine was huge in those days, usually in excess of $200.  This was in the days of $0.20 gas.  I imagine the fine today if adjusted for inflation would be well over $1000.

Trucks and vehicles with trailers had stated numbers like 60 mph daytime and 55mph at night.

BTW, MT may increase the speed limits this year for autos to 80 MPH.  There is a bill that will be introduced next week to do this.

This should add to the comments!

We have some highways in TX with 80mph speed limits.  85mph on a stretch of TX 130, a state highway.  It's insane in my opinion.  People just don't have any understanding of the physics involved.

The problem is automakers have done such a good job controlling sound and vibration in the passenger cabin that 75-80 in a modern car feels about the same as 45-50 in a 1950s-1960s vehicle.

Does nothing for the physics involved, only the perception of speed.

What I am wondering is who is driving all those RVs that pass me like I am sitting still when I am doing 60?

Those drivers obviously do not belong to the RV Forum and don't hear all our wise words of wisdom!

ArdraF

In March, driving north from Florida someone passed me on his FW because I was slow at 55-60, he was probably going at 70 mph.  An hour later, he was on the side with a blown tire. My wife and I wondered if that could be avoided by driving at 55-60.  Poor guy, he did not look as happy as when he passed me.

halfwright said:
My hunch would be many are toy haulers.

Michael

Ned said:
We have some highways in TX with 80mph speed limits.  85mph on a stretch of TX 130, a state highway.  It's insane in my opinion.  People just don't have any understanding of the physics involved.
Or the optics involved when you are out-driving your headlights.

Michael

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom