SAFE TOWING SPEED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frizlefrak said:
Agreed.  Mostly for the protection of the police officer.

Cop Cams will keep both the cops and the criminals honest......

We have dash cams in every veehickle.  They work surprisingly well for the $17 each we spent. They over -write to an SD card in 5 minute increments (our setting) and take a television quality 120? angle view. It has a accident sensor and automatically prevents over write of the last few increments. We started with the $70 trucker model, then found the knock off ones from Hong Kong. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the $70 one and the $17.

There have been times when we simply point at the dash cam and their driving gets proper real fast. Our driving improved as well.

We have also had the misfortune of witnessing other people's accidents and have offered the footage for insurance.

Since the dash cam records sound inside the TV, you can add commentary of the veehickles off to the side or behind you out of camera range in case something happens in view.

The cameras are set to turn themselves off and on with the ignition. We set it and forget it.

For those interested in the dash cam I am referring to:

http://smile.amazon.com/2-5-inch-Vehicle-Recorder-Dashboard-Camcorder/dp/B0053DDNW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1421028447&sr=1-1&keywords=dash+cam

Houston Remodeler said:
For those interested in the dash cam I am referring to:

http://smile.amazon.com/2-5-inch-Vehicle-Recorder-Dashboard-Camcorder/dp/B0053DDNW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1421028447&sr=1-1&keywords=dash+cam

OK, ordered mine.  Thanks.....lotta unit for the $$$

Frizlefrak said:
OK, ordered mine.  Thanks.....lotta unit for the $$$

I ordered one too,...... but I was too embarrassed to admit it.

even if it's a total POS.... it's not a big waste of money.

So let me get this right. It is going to record everything I say in the car. I think I better pass my kids may hear it. LOL

I ordered this one because it looks like a standard rear view mirror,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321569355267?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

if these thing if they work will sure eliminate any "Who done it" arguments.

Frizlefrak said:
Here's another consideration.....you're going down the highway, and a sudden 40 mph sidewind hits you (not terribly uncommon out here).  Trailer starts to do ugly things.  Do you stand a better chance of gathering it up at 55 or 70?
70 cause you can cut through the wind...lol

halfwright said:
I find it interesting that almost all replied 55-65 MPH for towing. What I am wondering is who is driving all those RVs that pass me like I am sitting still when I am doing 60?
Tinmania said:
My hunch would be many are toy haulers.
Michael
Me, I'll admit it. ;D

Still surprises me how many people that pass me towing a trailer and there are towing in excess to the speed limit. Out where I'm at most of the highway is 65 MPH. I still find RV'ers towing at 70 and higher. Personally I see no need for high speed travel with a trailer in tow. If I'm hitching up the trailer I'm going out to relax not to have a white knuckle ride.

when you say hitching up the trailer and  "white knuckle ride" it makes me think of the figure 8 races Trailer races......those are the greatest spectator races in the world.

Imagine a figure 8 track with a bunch of station wagons pulling small travel trailers around and smashing into each other in the middle of the track.......It's fun the watch.

I have been off the site for a while, been busy...I enjoyed reading the responses and even how it shifted from towing speed to dash cams, but I can see the relationship when someone is towing at a safe speed and the yahoo passes causing an unsafe situation.

As a former Police Officer, I appreciated the dash cams on many, many occasions. So I highly recommend them. I was hit head on while stopped at a stop sign and because my camera always hel 1 minute in memory we were able to access the moment the driver hit me. It was a career saver! The boss hates when you wreck a brand new cruiser!

Anyway, I am going crazy because I want to get into a Chevy dually and 5th wheel...just can't do it right now...

I gotta agree with you on the Chevy diesel, that truck pulls well and is a very refined civilized truck that you can have a conversation next to while it's running.

( this will be viewed as ...."shots fired".......to the Dodge guys ).......:)

TonyDtorch said:
I gotta agree with you on the Chevy diesel, that truck pulls well and is a very refined civilized truck that you can have a conversation next to while it's sitting there idling.

( this will be viewed as ...."shots fired".......to the Dodge guys ).......:)

You rang??  :p

Frizlefrak said:
Well, there should be lots of us.....since they run forever.  :p
so do the old turn of the century hit-n-miss engines,..... but that's not what I want in my truck.....:)

TonyDtorch said:
so do the old turn of the century hit-n-miss engines,..... but that's not what I want in my truck.....:)

Oh yeah....forgot....you like that Japanese diesel they use in the Chebby trucks.... ;D

Frizlefrak said:
Oh yeah....forgot....you like that Japanese diesel they use in the Chebby trucks.... ;D

I thought I remembered another Japanese truck you were proud of ?

did you receive your dashcam yet ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom