Prevost vs other high end production coaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotthfleming

Good to be back on the forum but need some forum assistance!  I recently sold our 2000 Prevost XL 45 Country Coach (non slide) simply due to the fact it was a non slide coach.  I would like input from others what they feel is a solid replacement unit, other than another Prevost. For what it would cost to get a Prevost XLII with one slide, I could have a newer Foretravel, Newmar, or Entegra- with multiple slides. Never driven any of these but I have read great things about the Newmar and Foretrvel.  Entegra?

Scott

One of the very few manufacturers in the Prevost conversion class is Newell.

In an earlier post, Gary RV Roamer posted links to companies that could add a slide to your current Provost. As he stated, "not cheap..." http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=31464.0  but on the high end coaches, it might be the best option.
If the sell of your coach isn't final, you might want to check into that option.

I personally would recommend an Entegra or a Newell. Both of those are really solid coaches. Personally Im a little Prevost biased (maybe just because I spent a small fortune on one) but they are really great coaches. prevost is not known for having more than 2 slides ever (some builders do 3) because of frame issues and cost. Adding a slide on a prevost is almost 60k. It all depends on your needs. Do you travel alone or with family/friends? That was one thing we considered and ended up adding 6 bunks because my kids do a lot of music festivals and want space for their friends (the bunks can convert into a desk when not in use or a closet).

Bottom line: if you want a coach that will keep on chugging get a prevost. If you want one with all the bling and flashy looking get an entegra.

Kb totally agree with Prevost. Four kids, one in college others in high school.  Want to take it to football games next year so extra slides would be nice.  Can't beat quality of a prevost

Newell is not a Prevost bus conversion; They build their own chassis and fuselage, and the end result is IMO superior.

http://www.newellcoach.com/features/construction/

How is the service with a newell? I'd imagine if they build their own frame etc only their shop could service/repair it? Maybe I am wrong but what about spares etc.... Prevost has depots nation wide with service centers in nearly every state. Of course the builder would handle anything that wen't wrong on their end (interior mainly).

I have no personal experience, but this may help answer the service question:

http://www.newellcoach.com/preferred-service-centers/

A friend with a Newell hasn't complained, but I'll ask him the question specifically next time I talk with him.

The luxury class coaches from Newmar, American Coach,  Monaco, etc. are fine rigs, but still not in the Prevost-conversion & Newell & MCI-bus class. The Prevost coach base used to build the RV is around $750k all by itself, so it should not be surprising that it is better built all around.

That said, you can get a heck of a coach for a (new) price tag of 500k-1000k, whereas the Prevost or Newell will run upwards of $1.5M. At some point, the differences get to be rather slim even the the cost differential remains high. Only you can put a dollar figure on the extra value.

One of the premier Prevost-converters is Marathon Coach. They have some pre-owned ones available - see http://www.marathoncoach.com/new-preowned--inventory

Tom said:
Newell is not a Prevost bus conversion; They build their own chassis and fuselage, and the end result is IMO superior.

http://www.newellcoach.com/features/construction/

I know, but they make a  coach in the same class as the Prevost and MCI conversions.  And I too think they're better than the Prevosts.  It's what we would buy if money were no object.

wow, just flipped over to that site.  Very nice!!!  i wonder if they have a less contemporary style option though..... Some of those photos make me think "disco" with all the bling

Gary RV Roamer said:
The luxury class coaches from Newmar, American Coach,  Monaco, etc. are fine rigs, but still not in the Prevost-conversion & Newell & MCI-bus class. The Prevost coach base used to build the RV is around $750k all by itself, so it should not be surprising that it is better built all around.

That said, you can get a heck of a coach for a (new) price tag of 500k-1000k, whereas the Prevost or Newell will run upwards of $1.5M. At some point, the differences get to be rather slim even the the cost differential remains high. Only you can put a dollar figure on the extra value.

One of the premier Prevost-converters is Marathon Coach. They have some pre-owned ones available - see http://www.marathoncoach.com/new-preowned--inventory

Senators coaches will build you a very nice star coach for about 800k. That is the cheapest conversion they make. Their star coach is 1.7m. Which has the layout of 2 slides and a master bed/bath in the back and 6 bunks and a bath in the front. Includes a full kitchen and a lounge area. Really love this design. Works great because we have kids and they have friends. My kids love doing music festivals and the bunks allow them to take a bunch of friends.

I would put the Newell in a class above the Prevost after working on a few.  Love the Newell's but they are pricey to say the least.

I am not familiar with the Entegra line other than what I have read.  I really like the Essex model as well.

For me Foretravel is on my short list of possibly owning one day.  If my ship comes in and planets align just right. ;D

Mike.

Was at an RV show a couple years ago and they were featuring high-end used coaches - all of those mentioned here (All of which were way out of our range). The thing that impressed me with all of them was that they were built like tanks - very robust. They all seemed to be very high quality coaches.

Kev

Marathon coaches are on the Prevost chassis.  They're built in Coburg OR across from the old Monaco headquarters.  We know someone who didn't want slides in his Marathon and they really tried to talk him into slides because the market has told them that people want slides.  He never got the slides.  Every Marathon coach is custom built.

ArdraF

There is a subtle difference between Newell "custom" and Marathon (etc) custom Prevost conversions. That difference is that Newell builds the entire coach from the ground up and can customize anything you are willing to pay for, including chassis and body. All the rest start with a Prevost chassis and bus shell and make a custom interior and exterior. Probably only significant if you want something extreme, and have extremely deep pockets to go with it. But when you are talking rigs that start at $2M, what's another mil?

LOL!  How about a $5 mil Marathon with gold bathroom fixtures?  They've made one or two.

You're absolutely correct about the "custom" types.  If a Newell customer wants a smaller coach, they build a smaller chassis at the beginning.  Marathon etc. is limited by the sizes of chassis produced by Prevost.  By the way, the Prevost chassis is a product of Quebec, Canada. 

ArdraF

5 MILLION!!! That is crazy! Im really surprised that Newell can deliver that much customization. Building a giant like that isnt an easy thing to do. They must have some talented engineers on their team.

Back
Top Bottom