Older Diesel Pushers With Bunk Beds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

As I alluded to in a different thread, I'm seeking a somewhat older Diesel Class A that can comfortably accommodate our family of four wherein the parents aren't driven out of the living space when the kids go to bed.  Dedicated bunks pretty much.  I'm thinking 2000 to 2004-ish to get into our budget range and have a chance of multiple slides, 36-40 feet.  Using search terms like "bunkbed, bunkhouse, bunks, etc.," I'm not really finding much.  It's strange to me that 5th wheels and travel trailers commonly have this family-friendly set-up.  I know for a fact that young childless couples are almost zero in the Diesel pusher demographic, and I get that a bunch of folks are retired or post-kids in their RVs.  But those in between (and grandparents) should create a market for bunk-equipped Class A diesels.  I know I could walk on many dealer lots and buy a new rig so equipped, but where was that amenity 10 or more years ago?

I would appreciate a heads-up regarding bunk equipped units from the first half of the last decade.  Thanks!

Bunks were extremely rare in DPs back then - the buying public was largely older couples. Newmar introduced some bunk floor plans around that time, but they didn't sell many (and were dropped from the menu), so are rare.

Gary, obviously you are correct regarding the rarity.  I'm just trying to understand why, since bunk floorplans are out there now, and it's a significant market segment that was ignored.  If I had to speculate, I'd say that a new DP was (and is) financially out of reach for 90+ percent of working families with kids.  But many Class C rigs, travel trailers and fifth wheels have had family friendly layouts available for many years, and those don't go for chump change either.  At the very least I'd think a big sector of the Class A diesel pusher target demographic would seek a layout that's good for multi-generational ventures, mainly grand kids.

So I guess I'll just live with my bewilderment and wait until more recent used DP's with bunks come within my financial reach.  Of course, I'd be all ears if anyone knows of something aside from the Newmars that Gary mentioned.

I would still say that a bunkhouse class A is rather rare, based on my fairly recent search in buying a family coach..... but I wasn't looking in the DP class.

I share your frustration in the lack of choices, but I have settled on the conclusion that it's just business.  The demand just isn't there, at least in the eyes of the manufacturers based on their market analysis and experience....

I really wanted bunk beds so that we would not have to rely on sofas, dinette bunks, etc.... for my 3 kids.  There were some great floor plan options to be found in large travel trailers.... but the few bunkhouse models of motorhomes I saw just weren't great plans.  I eventually concluded that the living space was at least equally important and many of the bunkhouses seemed to compromise the kitchen/living layout.  Also, the bunkhouse motorhomes put the bunks IN the master bedroom, which was less than ideal.
Some of the entry level class A's have an optional motorized bunk over the driver's seat, but that too really didn't strike my fancy either...

I think that If I were in your position purposely looking at older coaches and IF I had time..... i would look hard with an eye towards getting a coach that could be remodeled to better suit my needs.

I see a lot of bunk model Class A motorhomes here at my park,

It's easy to spot a bunk model because of the two little stacked windows on the side.

like they are saying on here,  Typically family coaches are gas,  and Gramma/Grampa coaches are diesel. if you want an diesel the kids will be sleeping in the living room.

don't discount the gas motorhomes they will do everything the diesel will do, and you can get a newer gas rig with newer features for the same cost of an older diesel.

plus an older diesel may need more expensive truck shop type repairs. most all gas coaches are Fords, and anyone can service them.

and it's a significant market segment that was ignored.

That's debatable, I think. Even just a few years ago, there was essentially zero market for DP's with bunk beds. Families with kids weren't buying in that price class, and grandparents weren't hosting the kids often enough to devote the space for extra bunks. RV makers (e.g. Newmar) experimented with floor plans that offered more sleeping room, but the sales simply didn't materialize. Then came the crash in RV sales (2008-2012) and nobody was buying.  It's still not a big segment, with most of the family-oriented sales going to large Class C's and a few gas Class A's, but it is growing. 

blw2 said:
Some of the entry level class A's have an optional motorized bunk over the driver's seat, but that too really didn't strike my fancy either...

I think that If I were in your position purposely looking at older coaches and IF I had time..... i would look hard with an eye towards getting a coach that could be remodeled to better suit my needs.

Hmmm, has anyone seen any 10-ish year-old DPs that have an ideal spot, say about 6.5' of something that could be eliminated to make room for bunks?  I was on board a coach last spring that had a fireplace and desk that would probably add up to the right amount of space. Can't remember the make/model, I just recall thinking "what a waste of space."  On the other hand, I'm sure it made sense for the kidless couple as they enjoyed cozy flames during a surprise Memorial Day snowfall. 

I'd entertain the remodel route if it were possible to do without a total layout revamp. I'm already onboard for flooring changes, since I see a lot of interior that are workable except for the flooring.  Since doing a floor project in our 5th wheel, I know it's a potentially inexpensive (not counting my time) path to interior happiness.  Food for thought ...

Some have a large wardrobe/laundry area that maybe you can remove and convert to bunks. May cut down on the privacy thing though. Be sure there is no "equipment" in the area to deal with. Also if I'm not mistaken, I think the windows in the bunk area are emergency escape windows. I have not really investigated that to be able to say that is the case every time, but have casually noticed it in some bunkie models I have walked through.

buy the motorhome you want and as a tow vehicle....set up a van with fold down bunks on each side ....let them sleep in the van.

If you go the modification route, consider a 3 slide motorhome with opposing slides in the bedroom.  You might have enough room for a couple of chairs so you and the wife could read, watch TV or whatever while the kids are sleeping in the living area.  The only problem is the limited number of motorhomes with two slides in the bedroom.  The only one I found was a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire.  I believe that's Newmars luxury coach for the 2004 year so the price may be at the upper end of your budget.  If you look at 2005 models, you will find more 3 and 4 slide coaches with the potential for modification to possibly fit your needs.  Good luck.   

OK, I'll say it since no one else has.

Same budget should get you a couple year newer bunk model on a gas chassis. They hit the market in 2006. Really set on a diesel?

ennored said:
OK, I'll say it since no one else has.

Same budget should get you a couple year newer bunk model on a gas chassis. They hit the market in 2006. Really set on a diesel?

I said that earlier,
chances are someone he knows owns an a diesel and has told him that gas rigs are junk.

I missed that.

My buddy has a Super C with bunks. He could have found a diesel one. Saved $10k. Tows his 26' enclosed trailer just fine.

You could do as one couple who was staying at the same park we were at. They used a car hauler with fold up bunk beds. They put the car in the trailer while traveling, then just folded down the beds as needed when stopped. The front of the trailer had a bathroom in the first three foot of the trailer that had a single waste tank of 35 gallons, and a fresh water tank of 30 gallons. Air conditioner with heat pump on roof for heat and cooling, and a couple of RV side windows in the door and street side of trailer. They called it their mother-in-law apartment.

Lee

I just saw a newer Berkshire Diesel pusher with bunk beds at the park we're at, looked like it had an outside TV and a lot of other "family" type amenities.

here......ww.forestriverinc.com/ClassAMotorhomes/Berkshire/default.aspx?model=berkshire&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=443&RVType=CLA

Yeap - bunk beds and outside tvs are currently in style and many newer coaches feature them in one or more floor plans. Pretty rare, however, in the 2000-2004 vintage the OP is interested in (price-wise, I assume). I think that 2011 was the first year that Forest River offered bunks in the Berkshire, but I don't follow that brand and could well be mistaken.

2011 Bershire bunkhouse models carry an asking price in the 125k-150k range.

Further to my comment about modifying a coach and adding bunks, I came across this. 

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1999-American-Coach-Heritage-45IS-113324816

This is a 1999 American Coach Heritage 45IS and it has 3 bunks in the isle between the kitchen and bedroom.  It's probably a lot longer than you're like but I thought you would be interested in seeing how the coach was modified.  The coach is for sale by Karolina Koaches in S.C.   

You might want to look at a used prevost around an '05 or so. Many of them have bunks with a bed in the back. They build these buses for bands that go on tour. Although they have some miles on them prevost are built to last. They can take a million miles any day of the week. Some other coaches start to deteriorate as soon as you break 100k. Not sure what you budget is but you could spend around 300-500 on a used prevost depending on mileage etc...

garyb1st said:
Further to my comment about modifying a coach and adding bunks, I came across this. 

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1999-American-Coach-Heritage-45IS-113324816

This is a 1999 American Coach Heritage 45IS and it has 3 bunks in the isle between the kitchen and bedroom.  It's probably a lot longer than you're like but I thought you would be interested in seeing how the coach was modified.  The coach is for sale by Karolina Koaches in S.C. 
that's a lot of motorhome for 70K, even with that mileage. Need to clean those grout line though ;)

Back
Top Bottom