04 Adventurer Flooring replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve-n-Sue

We are looking at options to replace all or part of the flooring in our 2004 Adventurer. First choice would be to replace the carpet from the motor cover to the bedroom sliding doors with sheet vinyl flooring. My concern is the slide dragging on the vinyl and damaging it. The slide seems to leave an impression on the carpet making me think that it would drag on the new flooring. Second choice is to replce the carpet in kind.
Has anyone replaced the carpet in your Adventurer?
Looking for any experience you may have!

Thanks for reading!
Steve-n-Sue

Hey Steve,

I think that either sheet flooring or laminate planks would be thinner than carpet and would not be affected by the slide.  Of course I could be wrong.  The main reason I replied to your post is to say that if you are in Q or will be next month I will probably have the Stacker over there for tools and a work place.  I got some flooring tools for the two guys that did my floor.  We are still working on the Lake Havasu plan but I do think Q is the plan for Jan.  I am not much help other than as part of the peanut gallery to watch you guys work.

We replaced the carpet in our 2004 Brave last year with sheet vinyl.  So far we've had no problems with the slideouts leaving marks on the vinyl.  We're very happy with it.  I've attached some before & after pictures.

Attachments

• old floor 1.JPG
    old floor 1.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 147
  • old floor 2.JPG
    old floor 2.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 120
  • old floor 3.JPG
    old floor 3.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 100
  • old floor 4.JPG
    old floor 4.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 83
  • new floor 1.JPG
    new floor 1.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 138
  • new floor 2.JPG
    new floor 2.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 125
  • new floor 3.JPG
    new floor 3.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 138
WOW!
Mike, you are my new HERO!
Questions:
1. Brand and source for sheet goods?
2. How did you finish the edge where it meets the slide?
3. I assume it is fully adhered?
4. Any "Lessons learned"?
5.How long did the project take?

I appreciate your replies and advice!

Steve,

Take me down off the pedestal.  I'm not that handy.  The only thing I did was write the check to the guy who did the installation.  I can tell you some details.

1. The product is Armstrong 12 foot wide Caspian II Plus Lava Ridge Cider Residential Vinyl Sheet flooring. I bought it from Home Depot. It wasn't cheap.  $10.53/sq yd or $1.17/sq ft.  I bought a 12' by 27' piece. 

2. The installer (Chris, an RV tech who has his own business near my house) called HWH (the slide room mechanism manufacturer) & asked how to move the slide room out further so he could get the vinyl under the edge of the slide room far enough so that the slide room wouldn't catch the edge of the vinyl in its normal travel.  IIRC, he was told to remove the wooden face frame of the slide room & carefully move the room further out. If this doesn't make sense to you, let me know & I'll contact him to verify what he did. 

3. It is not.  It is floating, which is Armstrong's recommendation.  Chris installed shoe base mouldings at the edges. He used wood grained or white, depending on the situation.

4. Since I didn't do the install, I can't answer this.  I can tell you that WE (DW pushed very hard for this. She really hated the carpet. My solution was to suggest that we buy a new Allegro or Winnebago coach with all vinyl flooring) are pleased with the job.

5. Chris had the coach for about 3 weeks but I'm sure he didn't spend all his time working on it. 

Chris told me to measure the inside of the coach from the back wall to the engine cover dog house and add about a foot to that length. That way he would have more than enough to go from front to back.  The 12' width was plenty wide enough to go from side to side.  The installation is done as one piece (no seams) from front to back & side to side, including the toilet room.  He removed the bed, toilet, & a base cabinet in the toilet room that had been installed by a previous owner.  Chris made a template from cardboard. He unrolled the vinyl on his basement floor and, using the template, cut the vinyl. He then rolled it up & unrolled it in the motor home.
I've shown it to friends & they can't believe it was installed as one piece. 

If you have any questions or want more pictures let me know.

Mike
I have a 2004 brave 34 and we really would like to replace our carpet as you did. Can you tell me what he charged?
Thanks, Lee

Lee77 said:
Mike
I have a 2004 brave 34 and we really would like to replace our carpet as you did. Can you tell me what he charged?
Thanks, Lee
Lee, I paid a little over $2,000. I didn't get any other prices & I don't know if it's a competitive price or not.  We (DW & I) are very satisfied with it.  If you have any other questions let me know.

ceemike said:
Lee, I paid a little over $2,000. I didn't get any other prices & I don't know if it's a competitive price or not.  We (DW & I) are very satisfied with it.  If you have any other questions let me know.

That was money WELL spent. The faux stone tile is beautiful!

Given what you will track into an RV from just about any campsite I have to wonder how anyone would want carpet.  ???

WOW!!! I did mine and the stairs in one weekend.  You have to start in one corner of your RV.  Find the center of that location.  Mark it with a chalk line lay plank tiles and remember to take your time with cutting and placement. Once you get the pattern the way you want it. it will go pretty fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom