onan generator please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sullified

I'm new to r.v ing just bought my first r.v its a 1997 class c fleetwood jamboree.My problem im having is my onan generator runs but only if i hold the start button down soon as I let go of the button inside or outside the generator shuts off like i hit stop any help would be gratley appreciated thanks

Hi there and welcome to the forum. A few things to check... Generators are designed to run only when the RV's fuel tank is above about 1/4 tank of fuel. That's to ensure that the generator doesn't run the RV's fuel tank dry. Make sure you've got about half a tank of fuel then see if it'll stay running. Generators are also designed to shut down automatically if they have very low oil pressure so make sure it's got oil.

When was the last time the generator ran properly? I assume it's a gas generator and if it hasn't run in a while, there's a good chance the carburetor is gummed up. You might also take a look at the fuel lines and check them for cracking. Older fuel lines can crack and cause air ito be drawn in instead of fuel. Start with those suggestions and let us know how it goes.

Kev

sullified,
In addition to the good advice above, there are component failure modes that can also cause the symptom you describe.  If you are a do it yourselfer, Google offers a lot of info about this problem.  But I suggest you follow the advice above first.

The starter switch overrides the interlocks that shut down the genset when there are problems. The #1 interlock is low oil pressure, so check the oil level and change the filter as a first step. The starter also provides a direct 12v feed to the fuel pump so that it runs while starting, then it probably switches to a self-sustaining mode once the genset is running.

Which Onan model name/number is it? I'm guessing it's a 3600 or 4000 watt unit, but there were various ones in that size range.

I had the same problem and took mine to a Onan Repair Depot. The Carb on mine is a throw away type and cannot be repaired they are set at the factory No In field adjustment Other than Idle. Mine was gummed up from sitting several months. After they replaced the Carb $219 it was running rough and would not settle down so they replaced the solid state control module $149 That took care of the remaining problem. As I recall mine was a 7.5 KW Onan Emerald. From that day on I run my Generator at least once a month under full load for about an hour. Fortunately mine is stored at my home so it is no big deal to run it when not being used. I will only let a authorized repair facility work on any of mine. I have seen to many parts changers that don't know how to test and repair them.
Mel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom