My dogs would never do that!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rene T said:
Humans know the difference between right and wrong. A dog doesn't.

Seriously?  Think about that statement.  Humans are the largest group of killers on the planet.  We kill for fun, greed, power, money, religion, and just about any other excuse we can think of.

Rene, if you ever get to Bonita Springs go to the dog beach, on a nice weekend there will be 125-150 dogs running lose, all breeds from Great Danes to Chihuahuas. In  the twenty or so days we've spent there never saw a dog fight or aggression towards humans.  Why? I'll guess because the dogs have been socialized with dogs and humans. Try it you might be pleasantly surprised. Mike

PatrioticStabilist said:
But some dogs have been bred to kill and though they may seem find the issue I see is they are very unpredictable.  When you see so many of certain breeds among the stats of killing and maiming people you would be remiss to ignore it.  I don't understand why normally very common sense people will gamble with their most precious commodity a child, be it theirs or someone elses with a dog breed that are known aggressors.  It's not worth it in my book.

There are some very thought out replies to this thread, but there are some very common misconceptions as well.
The attached quote, is one of them.
Dogs are not bred to kill. 
There are dogs, which have been bred to protect, and there are dogs, which have been mistreated, and intentionally abused, as is the case with drug dealers and other career criminals, and thugs, who want a mean dog, to attack the police, or anyone else for that matter.  There is also the Michael Vick type, who intentionally abuse dogs, such as pits, to make money off them, and because they are just generally bad people (or in some cases, good people doing bad things), who enjoy seeing dogs rip each other apart for entertainment.  There is a big difference.

Understanding dogs, and the hierarchy and history of canines is important when owning or interacting with dogs.
I have worked Shepherds during my career on the Police job, and have personally owned them, as  well as Rottweilers, a Chow, Labs, and now a Pit mix rescue dog, which is also my service dog.

I have never had any of my dogs bite anyone intentionally, without first having been given the command to do so, under my control at all times, to bring down a suspect.

There are no bad dogs, only bad, irresponsible owners, who create dangerous, out of control dogs.

I realize I will never win you over, if people that owned dogs would just learn the basics of training and being responsible  owners the world would be a better place.

The problem is, they don't. Some don't know how to train or socialize a dog, some want their dog to be mean enough to protect them from whatever, some just want their dog to be the most badassed dog in around. Then there are the ones who are just plain mean and abusive to their animals. You mix these kinds of people with a dog who was bred to fight, and who will do anything to please their owner, and you get a pit bull who ends up killing people. No, it isn't the dogs fault, but they are still a danger to people.

Like I said earlier, I love pit bulls and I do not blame them. I know there are plenty of good ones out there. But I think, as a breed, they should be allowed to die out. People need to quit breeding them. There is nothing a pit bull can do that any other dog breed who doesn't have the same instincts can't. 

rebelsun said:
Dogs are not bred to kill. 

"The Pit Bull was originally created as a fighting dog by crossbreeding bulldogs, mastiffs, and terriers to produce a dog that combined the size and strength of the mastiff, the gameness and agility of the terrier, with the strength and tenacity of the bulldog."

"Dog Fights usually last until one dog is declared a winner, which occurs when one dog fails to scratch, one dog dies, or one dog jumps out of the pit.

Click the words in blue to see the wiki pages where these quotes were pulled from.  Even if you try to split hairs and say they weren't bred to "kill" per say, even though they were in fact bred to fight, because one dog can win when the other jumps out of the ring, bred for violence isn't much better than bred for murder.  You'll even notice the use of the word "pit" which is the nomenclature for the fighting arena, where pit bulls get their namesake.

From 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days.

Perhaps not all ducks quack.  But if it's a duck, it's liable to.

Heres the thing. Any dog can turn on you or a another person. Any one individual can ruin any breed of dog. Doesn't really matter what breed or mix, each dog has an individual personality, you just don't know if or when a dog is going to have a really bad day.

Bill

driftless shifter said:
Heres the thing. Any dog can turn on you or a another person. Any one individual can ruin any breed of dog. Doesn't really matter what breed or mix, each dog has an individual personality, you just don't know if or when a dog is going to have a really bad day.

Bill

^^^What he said.

driftless shifter said:

Bill

Why is it pretty much every time you hear about a dog mauling and killing a young child, a teenager or a adult even the dogs owner and immediate family, the majority of the time it's a pit bull?

Rene T said:
Why is it pretty much every time you hear about a dog mauling and killing a young child, a teenager or a adult even the dogs owner and immediate family, the majority of the time it's a pit bull?
Because it sells newspapers.

Why does the media like to sensationalize events like Treyvon Martin, Michael Brown, or quotes like "I Can't Breathe", or "Black Lives Matter"......For the same reason!

Why let facts get in the way of a good story.

cadee2c said:
"The problem is, they don't. Some don't know how to train or socialize a dog, some want their dog to be mean enough to protect them from whatever, some just want their dog to be the most badassed dog in around."

That's true.  That's why the drug dealers and gang bangers get these dogs, abuse them, and make them mean, nasty, unpredictable dogs.  It's not the dog's fault, and it could be any dog that they do this with, it just seems the Pit Bulls are their dog of choice now.  At one time it was Dobermans.

"Then there are the ones who are just plain mean and abusive to their animals. You mix these kinds of people with a dog who was bred to fight, and who will do anything to please their owner, and you get a pit bull who ends up killing people. No, it isn't the dogs fault, but they are still a danger to people."

But you want to destroy a breed, because of something that you admit is not their fault.  If the owner is an *******, that transfers down the leash, and the dog will be an *******.  It's the ******* people, we need to get rid of, not the dogs.

Like I said earlier, I love pit bulls and I do not blame them. I know there are plenty of good ones out there. But I think, as a breed, they should be allowed to die out. People need to quit breeding them. There is nothing a pit bull can do that any other dog breed who doesn't have the same instincts can't.
If you like Pit Bulls, and do not blame them, then why do you want to eradicate the breed?
There are a lot of good Pits out there, and they don't deserve this bad reputation they have been given.
I remember a time when the mantra was to eradicate German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers, and other breeds, because they were dangerous, over bred, had problems such as hip dysplasia, and other conditions, due to breeding issues, negligence, and mistreatment of the dogs.

This too will pass. 

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

This article explains it well...
If a pit bull or rottweiler has a bad moment, instead of a person being bitten, often a person is maimed for life or killed. This has created off-the-chart actuarial risk.

Most dogs instinct is to bite and then let go, especially when they are biting as a warning ... as if telling the baby to stop poking them. They may bite just as often as pits do, but they don't do the same amount of damage that a pit can.

Pit bills keep at it. They don't let go. The more excited they get, the tighter they hang on. That's why they make such good fighting dogs. :(

jdq1986 said:
Even if you try to split hairs and say they weren't bred to "kill" per say, even though they were in fact bred to fight

"Splitting Hairs".......Is that what you call it when you sensationalize a statement to prove your point?

My guns were designed for protection, they weren't manufactured with the sole intention to kill, but it can be an unintended effect that occurs.  Because I don't shoot to kill, I shoot to stop the attack, neutralize the threat, or to apprehend the person committing the criminal act, and to prevent that person from injuring or killing me, or someone else.

In the case of a dog, which is bred to fight, that does not mean they were bred to kill everyone they come in contact with.

My gun has never killed anyone, and neither has my Pit!

"my gun has never killed anyone, and neither has my pit"

Leave one of them laying around with no supervision and see if that statement hold water. Everyone is not as responsible as you are.

Jim

I see no mutual agreement on this issue. It is like Ford vs. Chevrolet, only more passionate.  I have seen a Rottweiler cause his owner and trainer to get over 140 stitches. I read a lot of stories about pit bulls killing or maiming people. I am not 100% sure which plays the more important roll, genetics or training. But, I will never own a pit bull or any of the large breeds that have the bad reputation for the same reason I do not play Russian roulette. I just don't want to take the chance. A lot of people own them and have had no issue and if you want to do so, it is your choice. I do not want the responsibility of my dog killing a two year old child. And,  every time I hear of that, the owners always say, " My dog would never hurt anybody."

halfwright said:
I see no mutual agreement on this issue. It is like Ford vs. Chevrolet, only more passionate.  I have seen a Rottweiler cause his owner and trainer to get over 140 stitches. I read a lot of stories about pit bulls killing or maiming people. I am not 100% sure which plays the more important roll, genetics or training. But, I will never own a pit bull or any of the large breeds that have the bad reputation for the same reason I do not play Russian roulette. I just don't want to take the chance. A lot of people own them and have had no issue and if you want to do so, it is your choice. I do not want the responsibility of my dog killing a two year old child. And,  every time I hear of that, the owners always say, " My dog would never hurt anybody."
You are correct.
It is a very passionate issue, and it is your right, to not own any dog, you don't feel comfortable owning, just as it's my right to own the dog of my choosing.

The same holds true for Ford vs. Chevy owners, and for people who choose to exercise their Second Amendment Right to own a gun, vs. those who choose not to, for whatever reason they have, to not own or possess one or the other.

I don't have a problem with that.  What I do have a problem with, is the people who choose not to own a dog, or a particular breed of dog, or not to own a firearm, or particular type of firearm, such as the so-called Assault Riffles (mine has never assaulted anyone BTW), and feel that their opinion of these things, should be thrust upon all of us, by calling for the destruction of certain breeds of dogs, or the repel of the Second Amendment, and subsequent seizure of all privately owned firearms.  If you don't want to own one, don't own one.  Just don't tell me, what I can and cannot have.  We're all different.....and that's what makes the world such an interesting place!

rebelsun said:
"Splitting Hairs".......Is that what you call it when you sensationalize a statement to prove your point?

LOL!  No, that's what I call it when ever someone denies a proven fact because of some silly loophole to prove THEIR point.

Go ahead and keep comparing pit bulls to guns though.  You're not really helping your argument here.  It is beyond me how anyone can say dogs have their own personalities (not denying that) and each one is different and so on, and then in the same breath compare them to an inanimate object which of course could not have any personality or ability to make decisions on it's own, especially one designed to bring about the end of life.

You know someone is losing an argument when they resort to insults instead of facts. 

I don't really see this thread going anywhere positive, it needs to be locked and future discussion of bully breeds should be banned too.  It really takes away from the purpose of the rest of this forum, which is to help each other out, since it breeds animosity towards others.  Just my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom