Low Clearance GPS POI's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sr Fox

I use Sygic Maps on my 7" tablet for GPS Navigation.  This weekend I finally figured out how to install custom POI's from http://www.lowclearances.com/  It takes a bit of work but it can be done if anybody is interested.
This site has custom POI's (Points of Interest) for many of the popular GPS units out there.  Mine showed almost 2000 low clearance (13 feet or less) in the USA.
Let me know if I can help and no I am not affiliated with that site. :)

Fox

I have a lifetime Low Clearances subscription and the data has come in handy and saved my butt several times. Will those Sygic maps work on a Mac?

Sr Fox said:
Sygic is the app I have and they have apps for both Anroid and iPhones.  I am running mine on a 7" Nexus tablet. Nice big screen GPS.
duh, oh yes.... you said that before.... I had in my mind that you were talking about a computer application
I'll check it out, thanks!

Fox...
Sounds very useful.  How about describing the procedure in a brief article for the forum Library. It need not be a literary masterpiece, just some text and maybe a screenshot or two (worth 1000 words!). Just rough it out and send a copy to Tom Jones.

I use the Low Clearance data on both my TomTom and Garmin GPS, but didn't know it was even possible to use with an Android or Ipad app.

Sr Fox said:
Sygic is the app I have and they have apps for both Anroid and iPhones.  I am running mine on a 7" Nexus tablet. Nice big screen GPS.

Is that an offline mapping program or do you have to be on the internet when running it?

Sygic is available for both Android and Apple and runs totally offline unless you want to have live traffic.  I have used it all over Mexico, USA and Canada with great results.

Here is my lazy-man's guide that I made for myself.  Feel free to ask if you have issues.

To Add POI's to Sygic Navigation and convert these files

1. Download the POI files from www.lowclearances.com
    It cost me about $20 for US and Canada
2. Unzip Route-1_USA_Garmin.zip
3. Open the CSV file in WordPad (I used the Route-1 (USA)  13' 0 height limit or lower.csv in the    Single POI Versions folder)
    This file includes 13' plus everything below down to 5' 6"  You could strip out the lower    clearances if you like
4. add a line at the top - delimiter=,
5. Remove everything else up to the first coordinates
ie:
Remove  ;longitude latitude name
Remove ;Route-1 (USA) copyright ? www.lowclearances.com All Rights Reserved

6. Save File and close Wordpad

Convert the CSV to Rupi using Sygic Rupi Converter on PC from http://cdn.sygic.com/static/downloads/sygic_rupi_convertor.zip
Copy the .rupi file and the .bmp file of the same name to the device under Sygic/maps/import
Start Sygic and it will ask if you if you want to import.  Answer yes and if all goes well, you will get a success message.

In addition, here is a link to Sygic's instructions for importing POI's www.sygic.com/en/poi

These instructions are for Windows and Android.  I am guessing they are about the same for Apple and iDevices however I am not too familiar with them.

How is the Sygic app overall, e.g. accuracy of US and Canada maps, other POIs (campgrounds, Walmarts, restaurants, etc.)? Campground POis and restaurant chains can be added using the same approach, if needed, but many apps already have pretty good POIs.

It is very good with USA, Canada and Mexico road maps however last month in Tucson it gave me a bunch of bum steers for Walmarts and a Sears.  I fell back to Google Maps for these and they were accurate.  It only gave me one bad road turn in Tucson.  A left turn from the top of an overpass however to be fair the overpass was still under construction.  In Mexico it seems to have a lot of problems with one-ways in smaller cities but then they are known to change weekly here.

Sounds about normal for any GPS nav system!  Perhaps 99% accurate, but that other 1% is a killer!

I ran into this last Sunday - no big deal.

I programmed in the Loves in Batesville, MS (using Garmin's factory loaded POIs, not POI Factory) and it had the station on the east side of I-55, whereas it is actually on the west side. Unleaded was 1.999

I was real obvious because of their large sign, but Gary is correct - mistakes creep in.

Bill

I was looking in the app store on Apple and they have Rand-McNally app for RV's for $99.00.  That's a bunch less expensive than a R-M GPS unit at $349. The reviews seem to be pretty mixed on the app store, but sometimes idiots post there -- for example posting it doesn't work and then you find out the 3.7Gb app is being loaded into a 16Gb iPhone that has 10GB of music, 3 movies and has about 400Kb left of free space.  So -- has anyone with some intelligence (that's all of YOU!!!)  :D downloaded that R-M app?  I'd like to hear anything about it.

Thanks,

Steve Kruse
steve407

Just trolling the forums for info/reviews on the Low Clearance GPS POI's program and found this old post.  I have a 1 year old Garmin RV 760 LMT, which does not seem to accept the data from Low Clearance.  Using Garmin's POI installer I tried to install the data 3 times and it turned my unit into a paper weight all 3 times.  My 4th unit is great, but I am disinclined to kill it again and pay the postage to send it back for yet another replacement.  Garmin has been very nice about all of the replacements, but had no opinion and the vendor in the UK has refused to answer my emails.  It would be nice to use, considering what I paid for it, but they might as well be based in China.  Suggestions on how to make the install or contact the vendor?  My 2 year warranty, on the Garmin, is getting low.

Nick

The POIs have to be installed in the proper folders on the Garmin and you can indeed mess things up if you don't get that right.  Have you ever managed to successfully add any POI's?  I've done so regularly for a dozen years, including all the Low Clearance POI's and never had an issue as long as I did them right.  My standard update added well over 10,000 POI's.  I've used several Garmin models too, though never had an RV 760.  Maybe that one needs some different procedure than the general one? 

As I recall, there is a back-up utility in the Garmin updater package as well. Doesn't the 760 allow that? Can save you from the brick syndrome!

Did you go to lowclearances.com and send in a support request on the contact page?

Hi Gary,

I used the Garmin POI Loader for Windows software version 2.7.3, as of November 7, 2013.  It seems to give me no options, in that it is "totally automated".  I have never tried to enter any other POIs before this.  As to a different procedure for this unit, I am unaware. When I spoke with them, Garmin gave me the "standard" advice, which I had already done.

Regrettably the POI loading attempts render the operating system quite dead, so addressing anything on the unit is not possible.  It will not boot.  I was not aware that the Garmin Express Updater functioned with POI installs.  Will take another look at that as an install tool?

Nick

Back
Top Bottom