quartzsite camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stars

??? ??? Is it better to stay in the desert at Quartzsite or in a rv park?  What's your opinion?

The RV parks I passed as I drove into QZ seemed, from the highway, to be very congested. That was in stark contrast to the ability to "spread out" while we were at the RV Forum QZ rally. But, if you need hookups, an RV park it has to be. If you can survive without hookups, you're better off without one of those parks.

stars said:
??? ??? Is it better to stay in the desert at Quartzsite or in a rv park?  What's your opinion?

Actually, it isn't our opinion, it should be yours. Some people love it, some hate it.

How long of a period are you talking about  ??? A day, a week, a month, the winter  ??? ???
Is your rig nicely equipped for dry camping  ??? We have satellite TV, our holding tanks can go a week or more before refill, our batteries can go a day or so before recharge. Where we stay our cell phone works very well and we have internet access thru it.
Does cost play into your consideration  ??? From free for up to 14 days to $130 for the winter, QZ can be very inexpensive.
Dry camping at QZ gives you some peace and quiet as well as sunsets that will amaze you and that you won't feel or see staying in an RV park.
It can be dusty and lonely in the desert at QZ.
We look forward to our 2 weeks in the desert with the framily every January. Others have come once, never to return.

In a word, Yes :) ?We do both, most of the year we stay in RV parks, but we go to the desert at QZ for a week or so for our annual rally in January. ?We also boondock other places at times, but usually only for a day or two at a time.

The desert is a very peaceful location, especially outside of the busy period (Jan-Mar). ?QZ has mountains on both east and west, lots of gorgeous sunsets, clear skies most of the time, but some wind. ?If you like isolation and quiet, it's the place to go. ?If you like people around you, activities to participate in, and the amenities, then the RV parks are a better choice. ?We find room for both in our lifestyle.

stars said:
??? ??? Is it better to stay in the desert at Quartzsite or in a rv park?? What's your opinion?

That is a matter of personnal preference.  We enjoy our week or so on the desert during the RV Forum QZ rally with several others in the framily.  However, for us we would not want to spend the season there.  Many folks do spend the whole season there and enjoy it. When we wintered in that area we chose to get a site in a campground about 15 miles from QZ.  We were close enough to QZ we could visit anytime.  We now winter in Yuma but still went to the RV Forum rally last January.

I guess I would suggest try it and see how it goes for you.  If you find it isn't for you then move to a campground.

Last year was my first year of RV'ing and partially due to $$$ constraints, spent most of my time boondocking. That included about 3 months at Tyson Wash, one of the Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVA's; there a 4 of them at Quartzsite). As the peak  season wound down, you'll find yourself with fewer and fewer neighbors. By the time I left in early April, the closest one was about 1/3 mile away, but I still had my 2 cats to keep me company. Because there are no hook-ups, plan on running your generator on a daily basis, and using less water than you normally would for showers, dishwashing, etc. Luckily, you won't have any grass to water ;D ;D The LTVA across the road has facilities for dumping and fresh water but you may have to queue up for that during the peak season - no big deal, but sometimes they run out of water and when that happens it will be posted. It's always wise to carry a few jugs of water with you. QZ has a few places to shop for groceries (one exception is a great bakery), but their selection is fairly limited, so plan on an occasional trip to Blythe, CA (preferred) or Parker, AZ for your major restocking ventures; best accomplished with a toad or 5'er for obvious reasons.  Also, the LTVA's don't allow propane trucks, so come with full tanks and plan on refilling off-site if you run out. There are several places nearby to do that. You'll also have to purchase wood for campfires as you are not allowed to collect or burn local material.

Bottom line: If you like solitude, go for it. The peace and quiet, beautiful sunrises, sunsets and star-filled night skys are breathtaking, and you can beat the price. On the other hand, if you're uncomfortable without close neighbors and modern facilities, then a short stay will be more to your liking.   

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your adventure! :)

Back
Top Bottom