No Sound in Chrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

All of a sudden I get no sound when running Chrome. All other programs work and I get sound. If I take a you tube website that I was trying to run in Chrome and run it in Internet Explorer, sound works but not in Chrome. Any ideas?

Did you check the volume control on the YouTube window?  If that's not it, try disabling all extensions to see if it's one of those interfering. 

Did you check the volume control on the YouTube window?  If that's not it, try disabling all extensions to see if it's one of those interfering.

That seems to be a thing with Chrome lately. Video players are sometimes defaulted to mute, or to have the volume turned down to nothing. Too bad that doesnt seem to be the case with their video ads :(

Have rebooted the computer, disabled all extensions, checked the Realtek Audio manager and all audio including Chrome and nothing is muted. Still have same problem. Next I'll try to remove and reinstall Chrome. If that doesn't work I'll garbage Google and go back to Firefox, IE or maybe Safari.

You checked the sound control in the actual video that you are trying to view? Not on your computer, but in the video itself, down at the bottom of the video window, there is a speaker. If there is an x next to it, its muted. Sometimes, its just completely turned down at that point, which has nothing to do with your computer settings. Its been defaulting to that periodically since one of the updates last spring or something.

You checked the sound control in the actual video that you are trying to view?

That's the volume control I was referring to.

I knew that, but when the OP listed the things he had tried, I did not see him mention that one. So I asked him just to make sure. Thinking he may have missed that one.

cadee2c said:
You checked the sound control in the actual video that you are trying to view? Not on your computer, but in the video itself, down at the bottom of the video window, there is a speaker.

Yes, I did check that.

Ok, here's the deal. I reinstalled Chrome and followed the instructions from one of the sites after I googled no sound in Chrome. First, I entered chrome://plugins in the web address line (or whatever Chrome calls it now). At the top right of the page, I clicked on "Details" and then saw that there were two Adobe Flash plugins working which conflict with each other. One is the system (Windows) plugin and the other was the imbedded in Chrome version. I disabled the imbedded (PPAPI) and then unmuted the speakers by clicking on the speaker symbol in the tray. Voila!! I now have sound in Chrome and everywhere else on the computer!  ;D ;D ;D

I have both plugins and have had no problems with sound.  If you disable one, I would keep the PPAPI plugin as Google will keep that one up to date.  The other depends on Windows and/or Adobe to update and I wouldn't rely on that.  But keeping both should not be a problem if both are at the same version.

Ned said:
I have both plugins and have had no problems with sound.  If you disable one, I would keep the PPAPI plugin as Google will keep that one up to date.  The other depends on Windows and/or Adobe to update and I wouldn't rely on that.  But keeping both should not be a problem if both are at the same version.

I thought about that Ned but I use the other flash player since I still use Firefox and IE on rare occasions plus the system plugin is used for AirParrot 2 which I use for playing stuff on my TV (just like Apple's Air Play).

You can disable it in Chrome and it won't affect the other browsers.  If they aren't the same version, update the older one and you should be able to leave both enabled in Chrome.  Flash just had an update this past week, and you may have not gotten it.  I set my addons to auto update so I always have the most recent version.

Back
Top Bottom