EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: What do I need to Fish  (Read 8724 times)

Curiosity

• ---
What do I need to Fish
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
One of the things that I love is the photos of people fishing, for dinner, while camping.  I think there would be nothing better than to be able to eat freshly caught fish  ;D

Do you need to get a license to fish?  Is there one license that you can use anywhere or is it State by State.  How would I get a license in another state.

Now the big question.  I don't think I want to clean the fish in the trailer so what do I do. How do you clean the fish with limited access to water?   Is there any thing I can do to "recycle" the parts of the fish you cant eat?

Thanks and have a great holiday season,
John

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
Re: What do I need to Fish
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »
Fishing is state by state. You can usually buy a one day, a 3 days, or a seasonal non-resident.  If you are disabled, some states give you a free pass, but you have to show your award letter from Social Security. I'm not sure if you have to be a resident of that state or not.

I think most campgrounds, if they are on a lake, will have fish cleaning areas by their docks or fishing areas.

As for the parts you don't want, just throw them up into the air.. the seagulls will grab them before they hit the ground.

Caryl
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

Campfire RV

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
I'm one of those people that is in the photos while I'm out there fishing and I really enjoy every moment of it. We setup camp on the lake or a river most of the time so I can be on the water fishing. I also carry my fishing kayak so I can go wherever I want to fish and my daughter loves going out with me as well.

Most campgrounds that are on the water will have a fish cleaning station on site so you can clean them there and cook them over the campfire that night.   ;D

Each state has different rules as far as licensing so you will need to check the states Fish, Game & Wildlife site for regulations. You can purchase a fishing license in Wal-Marts and most outdoor stores.

edit:  No changes made.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:56:34 PM by Carl L »
Josh
2012 Thor Chateau 28Z
2007 Toyota RAV4 FWD/Remco lube pump
Alpha Tow Bar/Blue Ox base plate
U.S. Navy Retired
Good Sam Life Member

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
States control fishing within their borders.   Fresh water fishing always requires a state license.  These can be expensive, tho some states issue cheap limited period licenses  which can be as little as 10 days or even 1 day depending on the state. Saltwater, ocean, fishing may or may not require a license. California for instance, requires a license and a special stamp for ocean fishing. In my experience some Eastern states require no license in saltwater.   

So how you gonna know what is what?  Simple, just ask at the local sporting goods stores or call the state Fish and game.  Where do you get a license? Get a license at a sporting goods store or a fishing tackle store. Just ask locally.

Most beginner fishing involves planted rainbow trout in streams and lakes/ponds.   A light inexpensive spinning rod and reel loaded with light line is as good as any rig.  Cheese balls have caught a lot of trout.  So have crickets, grubs, worms, stink bait, marshmallows, and salmon eggs -- trout are not fussy eaters.  They will also hit spinners, spoons, and who knows how many artificial flies.  The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.

Trout are easy fish to clean. They are generally simply gutted and told cooked whole. No skinning or scaling is involved. Cook some in a hot, buttered pan. Serve the cooked fish onto a plate strip out the ribs and backbone as a unit and eat. Butter-fried, fresh caught trout are a great breakfast. There is no better.

Another great beginner fish is bluegill. Bluegill's are found in small lakes and ponds. Millions of them. They are eager feeders and are cooked naturally much in the same fashion as the trout. Bluegill limits tend to be large – check the local regulations.

Fish cleanings and leftovers are garbage. Treat them as garbage, and do not try to "recycle" them.   They go in the garbage or down the disposal. In fishing country public fish cleaning stations complete with disposals are widely encountered. Otherwise into the garbage can with them.

Finally when you catch a fish and you intend to keep it, please for God's sakes kill the animal swiftly and mercifully. Don't allow it to slowly suffocate.   Dispatch it with a knife in the back of the skull or by bashing it against a rock.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:56:47 PM by Carl L »
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
If you have a printer, many states offer on-line license purchases.  You print it out for proof of license.  Look for the specific state's fish and game web site.  You can typically learn what license is required and how much.  Often, these web sites have links to fishing methods and locations, as well.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
>>The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.<< 

There goes our friendly RV forum staff member just stirring the pot for pot stirring's sake!  >:(   There are probably a number of trout fishermen on the forum who most certainly do not appreciate your attempt at humor.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
Cheese balls have caught a lot of trout.  So have crickets, grubs, worms, stink bait, marshmallows, and salmon eggs -- trout are not fussy eaters.  They will also hit spinners, spoons, and who knows how many artificial flies.  The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.

Ahh Carl, Minnesota trout (excluding farm raised) must be smarter than other trout.  They don't seem to bite on cheese balls or other junk food.  The ones here are very fussy eaters.  Now crappies, that's another story.
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »
The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.

Obviously Carl is not a fly angler. 
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
Agreed....
Rockies trout may bite on anything you may pick up at the junk food section of the supermarket. But MN trout are a force to be reckoned with.....
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
Carl, I'm extending a friendly invitation (challenge) to attend the Minnesota rally in Lanesboro, Minnesota in May 2015.  There are three blue ribbon trout streams in the area. The Eagle Cliff Campground borders the Root River.  Bring your cheese balls and marshmallows.  We can see if your statements apply to Minnesota trout.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:34:48 PM by MN Blue Skies »

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »
........  Bring your cheese balls and marshmallows.

And catch nothing but bottle bass........ ;D

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
ROTFL. Carl I resemble that remark. I love trout fishing with an ultralight spinning rod and some spoons or flat fish. Have a fly rod that I have yet to master. To the op, where are you planning to fish? If a freshwater stream or lake, a spinning rod with a closed face reel is a good place to start. Practice in the back yard with a lure with the hook removed to minimize the risk of injury. Surf fishing is a different game, I have no experience here.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
My best advice Curiosity is to follow this caveat..

"All fishermen are liars....except me and you....and I'm not so sure about you".  8)
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
One thing not mentioned in the things needed to fish was a 12 pack of beer. This is very helpful to bank or boat fishermen, but hard for trout fishermen to carry.

If you happen to catch a big carp, the best way to cook it is grilled on an oak plank. Then, throw away the carp and eat the plank.

But, many years ago, when food was harder to come by than now, my mother would cut the red strip out of the carps back, pressure cook the fish until the bones got soft, make little fish patties and fry them. We did not know we were eating a "junk" fish. Times have changed a lot.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

elliott-maine

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
All saltwater fishing, at least along the Atlantic shore, require a permit or license for fishing.  Should you go out on a party boat or a 6-pack, or pay to fish off of a pier, the owners ave a permit and youy should not need one.
Elliott & Vicky and copilot Hanna, the GSD

2014 Redwood 36RE, Gen, king bed, other goodies
2013 RAM 3500 drw, 4wd, Aisin tranny
From the great state of Maine

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
>>The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.<< 

There goes our friendly RV forum staff member just stirring the pot for pot stirring's sake!  >:(   There are probably a number of trout fishermen on the forum who most certainly do not appreciate your attempt at humor.

Humor?  Sir or madam, I was not attempting levity, I was merely making an observation about a class of humanity to which I seem to belong.  I look at the fly and spinning rods, reels, spools of line, and the gazillions of flies, spoons, and assorted lures that I have collected over the years and I do doubt my mental ability.  (Do not get me started on bass fishermen, another class of which I am a tackle box-carrying member.)

Humpf, humor indeed!

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »
Obviously Carl is not a fly angler. 
Wrong. Carl is a fly angler.  I have fly fished the California Sierra and Alaska.  There I have encountered many trout smarter than I. Or at least I think I did since they ignored my various offerings. I will admit on occasion I have considered the use of hand grenades. However, I put that thought from my mind – I would probably miss the lake on the throw.

I will admit I have met one smart trout fisherman. He ran the tackle shop on 395 in Bishop across from the trailer park at the north end of town. The lad made a fortune off me.

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
But, many years ago, when food was harder to come by than now, my mother would cut the red strip out of the carps back, pressure cook the fish until the bones got soft, make little fish patties and fry them. We did not know we were eating a "junk" fish. Times have changed a lot.

I had some friends who were at a lake in Washington that had an over abundance of gold fish so the DNR was there doing what I think they called a complete fish kill, where they kill off all the fish in the lake. There is nothing wrong with the fish and they are safe to eat. The DNR guy told them they could take all they wanted, trout, bass, crappie, bluegills, whatever, no limit.

There was a couple there who were pulling out a bunch of carp. They told them they smoked it all and that it was really good smoked.

I say,, maybe, but there are also people who say lutefisk is really good too.  :P
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
I had some friends who were at a lake in Washington that had an over abundance of gold fish so the DNR was there doing what I think they called a complete fish kill, where they kill off all the fish in the lake. There is nothing wrong with the fish and they are safe to eat. The DNR guy told them they could take all they wanted, trout, bass, crappie, bluegills, whatever, no limit.

There was a couple there who were pulling out a bunch of carp. They told them they smoked it all and that it was really good smoked.

I say,, maybe, but there are also people who say lutefisk is really good too.  :P
After living in Taiwan for a time and also visiting Japan several times, I found that carp wasn't too bad when steamed.  Then again, it may have been the beer... :)
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »
To answer the first question.  A Fishing Rod....

Sorry I just could not stop myself

The best time to fish was yesterday....

Fish and Man "If they kept there mouth shut they would stay out of the frying pan"
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

Photog

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »
To answer the first question.  A Fishing Rod....
I agree.  My Uncle used to say there are only two rules in fishing.  Rule one - go fishing.  Rule two - retry rule one. :)
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

Humor?  Sir or madam, I was not attempting levity, I was merely making an observation about a class of humanity to which I seem to belong.  I look at the fly and spinning rods, reels, spools of line, and the gazillions of flies, spoons, and assorted lures that I have collected over the years and I do doubt my mental ability.  (Do not get me started on bass fishermen, another class of which I am a tackle box-carrying member.)

Humpf, humor indeed!

I can relate to questioning my mental state when I compare my catch to cost ratio. After buying a half dozen boats, dozens upon dozens of fishing rods, and reels, a variety of tackle, lures, spinners, flies, attire, hats, artificial bait, and on and on and on one has to question their sanity.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »

Wait a minute, you're from Minnesota and have never had smoked carp?  I'll almost bet that if you've eaten smoked fish, it could have been carp.  White Fish is better abut a lot of people smoke carp.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »
I am lazy, so this how I fish on the Colorado River here close to Yuma AZ. 8)
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
....but a lot of people smoke carp.
Smoke a carp?  How do you smoke a carp?  Simple, cut off one end, light the other end, and puff.

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
Wait a minute, you're from Minnesota and have never had smoked carp?

Im not from Minnesota. I've only lived here about 20 years. I've never eaten lutefisk either.

Smoke a carp?  How do you smoke a carp?  Simple, cut off one end, light the other end, and puff.

I knew someone here would take us down that road. You can't resist the power of the pun.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »
Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work....
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
I retired about 12 years ago and moved to a lakeside home, bought a new boat and started fishing.  I could go any time I wanted.  The boat wasn't in a slip, but I could easily launch from a concrete ramp about 1/2 mile away.  We tore up the lake.  Funny how it goes, though.  I don't have to fish in inclement weather or when it's too hot or when my bones ache.  So, I don't.  I soon found it was sometimes months between fishing outings.  But, I can go any time I want. :)
U.S. Navy (Ret)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
Keep it simple try Tenkara.  I have had a ton of fun fishing that way, simple and complex.  Look it up.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
Im not from Minnesota. I've only lived here about 20 years. I've never eaten lutefisk either.

Contrary to popular belief, not all Minnesotans are Norweigenites….
Minnesowda has a large contingent of Teutonics who collectively shake our heads in disbelief as our Nordic neighbors actually consume “whitefish” (a polite term for “bottom-feeder”) that has been soaked in drain cleaner - also known as Lutefisk.

But we’re not entirely blameless. We have our sauerbraten, shnitzengruben, sauerkraut, and various other dishes that would turn the uninitiated Norwegian stomach inside out.
A classic example from some time back was the annual potluck picnic, where I brought “actual” potato salad (the german version) which did not sit well with the Andersons, Olaffsons, Pilkvists, Otegards, and the Svenguards, who were apparently expecting the milktoast version that is cold, and contains mayonnaise and hard boiled eggs…. Oh my gawd…uggh..

A horrible fight ensued (In thick Fargo-esque accent)…
Ivar Otegard: “Ya know…. If a guys gonna make da potata salad, youd think he cudda done it right”
Me: “This is done right. It’s true potato salad. Not that baby food version you’re used to.”
Sven Olaffson: “Now dog gonnit..that ain’t potata salad. On account- a it’s got da vinegar in it.”
Me: “You have to have the shredded beets with the potato salad to get the full effect.”
And so forth and so on……..

Dear Ingrid Otegard came to my rescue… “Now Ivar, leave Bob alone. He has strange ways and ain’t quite right in da head.”…..”

In subsequent years at the annual gathering, I’ve been taken off the food list and put on the beer list.  They DO appreciate a good german beer….

--Gary RV Roamer--

Curiosity

• ---
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
Oh no what did I start. ROFLOL.   ::)

You guys should take this show on the road.   :)

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
Bob,  I think I'm a true Minnesotan.  I little bit Norwegian, a little bit Swedish, a little bit German, and a dash of Irish.  I missed out on the Finnish and Polish.  Did I miss anything else?

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »
BTW, my roots in Minnesota are deep.  They go back to the 1800s.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »
Sorry, I forgot this thread was about Curiosity's question about fishing.  Someone mentioned a closed real rod.  That's what I started fishing with when I was about five years old.  It's still a good way to start and the rods are affordable. Just ask the locals what they use for bait and where the good fishing "holes" are in your area.  Many of the old timers are wiling to share their fishing secrets and stories.  (I think I'm approaching the old timers category.)

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
Well, you need water, string, a stick and a hook and some bait....and a fishing license...

And I am a professional fishing guide!!!

Local bait and tackle shop will have all the information you need and will be happy to sell you everything you don't have!!!

Talk to the locals....

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
Bob, that is absolutely hilarious. ;D
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 12:14:06 AM »
Oh no what did I start. ROFLOL.   ::)

You guys should take this show on the road.   :)

I have been told  something like that before.  As I remember, the words were:  "Hit the road, clown!"

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »
Unless I just missed it, no one has mentioned the very important requirement for fishing,  Patience!
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
Bob, I totally read that conversation in "Minnesotan" accent.

and for what its worth, sauerkraut ranks right up there on the list with lutefisk. ish!

There are two tried and true methods for catching trout... Worms... big huge fat nightcrawlers and don't skimp on em. put as much as you can on the hook. I caught a 12 lb German Brown doing that (by the way, fisherman inches is sorta like internet inches... in reality is was just over 3lbs.)

The other method is using what our family called "egg sandwiches" 1 corn, 1 salmon egg (neon pink), and another corn, topped off with a marshmallow to keep it off the bottom.

Anyone can catch sunnies (aka blue gills)

When my son was 5, he caught a bass with an empty hook while sitting in a kid sized lawn chair waist deep in the lake. We put the fish on a stringer and left it in the water and when I walked too close to it, it tried to bite my little toe... they are territorial and will bite at anything.

Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
...I caught a 12 lb German Brown doing that (by the way, fisherman inches is sorta like internet inches... in reality is was just over 3lbs.)....

Is a little known scientific fact that fish are the only organisms that grow after death.  In some cases a dead fish can double in size, or in this case, quadruple.

Gary Hageman

• ---
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 01:10:24 AM »
my advice - hire a guide!

They should have a boat and the proper gear as well as the local knowledge as to how where and when. Major discouraging catching nothing and after a few trips with guides you will know what and how and where.

GladisTambasco

• ---
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
I'll share my fishing and camping picx with you dude but after trip.

RSharp1

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:35 PM »
If you're totally new to fishing, I would suggest a spincast combo, such as a Zebco 33 or a Johnson Century. Combos come with a rod and reel, the reel is pre-spooled with line, and usually in Walmart you can find these combos which include bobbers, hooks, and sinkers; perhaps even a few artificial baits. Easiest reels to cast out there, and a great place to start with minimal investment. Many, many books are written on the subject, but keep it simple at first with a hook, bobber, and simple bait like worms/nightcrawlers. As to eating your catch, you can usually find someone to help you with that at most any campground, cleaning fish and cooking them is a much more involved art than the actual catching of the fish. Best of luck, and never forget, the main thing is to have fun!!

Tom Hoffman

• ---
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
Growing up in the Catskill Mountains I lived close to stream that was stocked with a variety of trout.  After many attempts at fly fishing that never led to catching fist I prevailed on Fred, one local old-timer, to teach me the secrets of fly fishing.  He told me that there was nothing to it if I learned 2 key tips.

He went to get the collection of flies he had tied with 50 or more flies on it. Then he went to his screen door and compared this flies to the variety of bugs that were currently sitting on the screen doors.  This seemed like a thoroughly good idea until he picked out 3 flies that had no resemblance to anything on that screen door, nor could he explain at all why he thought they looked similar.

Next we walked 100 yards to the trout stream that was near his home.  There he revealed the other key to fly fishing.  He told me that one could not just toss the fly into the water since the trout would see that as totally unnatural. Instead he said it was necessary to cast the fly to a rock way on the other side of the stream that was at best 18" wide.  He cast his fly to that rock perfectly 3X in a row after which a great big trout jumped out of the water and swallowed that fly. Fred reeled that trout in and tossed it immediately back into the water and said, "You see, there really isn't anything to fly fishing."

That is the very day I gave up fishing.  Of course if you are really into fishing, no problem.  I am, however, much more into catching.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »
I don't consider myself a fisherman as much as I consider myself a feeder of fish. Growing up in Florida we used cane poles. Caught many a pan fish on a cane pole. I used to cut a healthy length of fishing line, grab a hook and bobber and head out the woods behind our house on my dirt bike. I would find a deep enough stream and catch me some black grasshoppers and fish for what we called stump knockers. Bring a stringer full home for grandma to cook.

Now we have to have all matter of fancy fishing equipment. Not so much to better our chances of catching fish but to impress all the other folks out there fishing.

I have fished in almost every State we have lived in or visited, which is nearly all of them. Lived in King Salmon, Alaska and caught a butt load of salmon. Lived in the Umpqua National Forest and fished in the same places as Zane Grey fished. I now live in Delaware and take our grandkids fishing. Doesn't matter if we catch anything. It's a great way to get them outdoors and away from the TV and computer.

Fishing is supposed to be fun. But if you go fishing with the expectation that you will catch fish, you will not have any fun.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:06 AM »
 Can you really catch fish with fake Bait/lures?   I have tried ever and ever and never gotten even a nibble.  Live Worms work but i hate putting them on the hook.    I know I'm not a real fisherman     I just like to play around with it     But I would like an answer to the fake bait question. Thx.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »
I am completely an amateur angler. I started fishing because I like being on the water in a canoe, and fishing is a good excuse. When I troll, I use a fish-looking lure, size dependent on water. I also use rooster tails for trout fishing from shore. Since a lot of places I like to fish don't allow live bait, I sometimes tip them with a plastic worm or add a glob of trout bait. I am totally a spin cast angler; fly fishing requires more practice than I am willing to do.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »
Can you really catch fish with fake Bait/lures?   I have tried ever and ever and never gotten even a nibble.  Live Worms work but i hate putting them on the hook.    I know I'm not a real fisherman     I just like to play around with it     But I would like an answer to the fake bait question. Thx.

I've heard folks say fish are smart and to catch them you have to outsmart them. Fish are not smart. Proof is, I have caught fish, hence they cannot be that smart. Other proof that fish aren't smart is you can catch them on fake bait. Many anglers use spinner baits, rubber worms, and the such. Most of the time I fish we go in the backyard, roll some logs over and collect the worms. If I am taking the grandkids to the lake we normally use cane poles with a hook, sinker and bobber. If we are going to the beach to fish we use a surf pole and reel with something like minnows ( if lucky we can catch minnows with a throw net) or squid. The other day we caught a small shark and a sea turtle. In order to keep the sharks they cannot have teeth. I don't like catching the turtles, I'm afraid I will hurt them.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

Hosted by Over The Network