What do I need to Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

One of the things that I love is the photos of people fishing, for dinner, while camping.  I think there would be nothing better than to be able to eat freshly caught fish  ;D. 

Do you need to get a license to fish?  Is there one license that you can use anywhere or is it State by State.  How would I get a license in another state.

Now the big question.  I don't think I want to clean the fish in the trailer so what do I do. How do you clean the fish with limited access to water?  Is there any thing I can do to "recycle" the parts of the fish you cant eat?

Thanks and have a great holiday season,
John

Fishing is state by state. You can usually buy a one day, a 3 days, or a seasonal non-resident.  If you are disabled, some states give you a free pass, but you have to show your award letter from Social Security. I'm not sure if you have to be a resident of that state or not.

I think most campgrounds, if they are on a lake, will have fish cleaning areas by their docks or fishing areas.

As for the parts you don't want, just throw them up into the air.. the seagulls will grab them before they hit the ground.

Caryl

I'm one of those people that is in the photos while I'm out there fishing and I really enjoy every moment of it. We setup camp on the lake or a river most of the time so I can be on the water fishing. I also carry my fishing kayak so I can go wherever I want to fish and my daughter loves going out with me as well.

Most campgrounds that are on the water will have a fish cleaning station on site so you can clean them there and cook them over the campfire that night.  ;D

Each state has different rules as far as licensing so you will need to check the states Fish, Game & Wildlife site for regulations. You can purchase a fishing license in Wal-Marts and most outdoor stores.

edit:  No changes made.

States control fishing within their borders.  Fresh water fishing always requires a state license.  These can be expensive, tho some states issue cheap limited period licenses  which can be as little as 10 days or even 1 day depending on the state. Sal****er, ocean, fishing may or may not require a license. California for instance, requires a license and a special stamp for ocean fishing. In my experience some Eastern states require no license in sal****er. 

So how you gonna know what is what?  Simple, just ask at the local sporting goods stores or call the state Fish and game.  Where do you get a license? Get a license at a sporting goods store or a fishing tackle store. Just ask locally.

Most beginner fishing involves planted rainbow trout in streams and lakes/ponds.  A light inexpensive spinning rod and reel loaded with light line is as good as any rig.  Cheese balls have caught a lot of trout.  So have crickets, grubs, worms, stink bait, marshmallows, and salmon eggs -- trout are not fussy eaters.  They will also hit spinners, spoons, and who knows how many artificial flies.  The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.

Trout are easy fish to clean. They are generally simply gutted and told cooked whole. No skinning or scaling is involved. Cook some in a hot, buttered pan. Serve the cooked fish onto a plate strip out the ribs and backbone as a unit and eat. Butter-fried, fresh caught trout are a great breakfast. There is no better.

Another great beginner fish is bluegill. Bluegill's are found in small lakes and ponds. Millions of them. They are eager feeders and are cooked naturally much in the same fashion as the trout. Bluegill limits tend to be large ? check the local regulations.

Fish cleanings and leftovers are garbage. Treat them as garbage, and do not try to "recycle" them.  They go in the garbage or down the disposal. In fishing country public fish cleaning stations complete with disposals are widely encountered. Otherwise into the garbage can with them.

Finally when you catch a fish and you intend to keep it, please for God's sakes kill the animal swiftly and mercifully. Don't allow it to slowly suffocate.  Dispatch it with a knife in the back of the skull or by bashing it against a rock.

If you have a printer, many states offer on-line license purchases.  You print it out for proof of license.  Look for the specific state's fish and game web site.  You can typically learn what license is required and how much.  Often, these web sites have links to fishing methods and locations, as well.

>>The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.<< 

There goes our friendly RV forum staff member just stirring the pot for pot stirring's sake!  :mad:  There are probably a number of trout fishermen on the forum who most certainly do not appreciate your attempt at humor.

Carl L said:
Cheese balls have caught a lot of trout.  So have crickets, grubs, worms, stink bait, marshmallows, and salmon eggs -- trout are not fussy eaters.  They will also hit spinners, spoons, and who knows how many artificial flies.  The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.

Ahh Carl, Minnesota trout (excluding farm raised) must be smarter than other trout.  They don't seem to bite on cheese balls or other junk food.  The ones here are very fussy eaters.  Now crappies, that's another story.

Agreed....
Rockies trout may bite on anything you may pick up at the junk food section of the supermarket. But MN trout are a force to be reckoned with.....

Carl, I'm extending a friendly invitation (challenge) to attend the Minnesota rally in Lanesboro, Minnesota in May 2015.  There are three blue ribbon trout streams in the area. The Eagle Cliff Campground borders the Root River.  Bring your cheese balls and marshmallows.  We can see if your statements apply to Minnesota trout.

ROTFL. Carl I resemble that remark. I love trout fishing with an ultralight spinning rod and some spoons or flat fish. Have a fly rod that I have yet to master. To the op, where are you planning to fish? If a freshwater stream or lake, a spinning rod with a closed face reel is a good place to start. Practice in the back yard with a lure with the hook removed to minimize the risk of injury. Surf fishing is a different game, I have no experience here.

One thing not mentioned in the things needed to fish was a 12 pack of beer. This is very helpful to bank or boat fishermen, but hard for trout fishermen to carry.

If you happen to catch a big carp, the best way to cook it is grilled on an oak plank. Then, throw away the carp and eat the plank.

But, many years ago, when food was harder to come by than now, my mother would cut the red strip out of the carps back, pressure cook the fish until the bones got soft, make little fish patties and fry them. We did not know we were eating a "junk" fish. Times have changed a lot.

All sal****er fishing, at least along the Atlantic shore, require a permit or license for fishing.  Should you go out on a party boat or a 6-pack, or pay to fish off of a pier, the owners ave a permit and youy should not need one.

Tom and Margi said:
>>The only thing dumber than a trout is a trout fisherman.<< 

There goes our friendly RV forum staff member just stirring the pot for pot stirring's sake!  :mad:  There are probably a number of trout fishermen on the forum who most certainly do not appreciate your attempt at humor.

Humor?  Sir or madam, I was not attempting levity, I was merely making an observation about a class of humanity to which I seem to belong.  I look at the fly and spinning rods, reels, spools of line, and the gazillions of flies, spoons, and assorted lures that I have collected over the years and I do doubt my mental ability.  (Do not get me started on bass fishermen, another class of which I am a tackle box-carrying member.)

Humpf, humor indeed!

MN Blue Skies said:
Obviously Carl is not a fly angler. 
Wrong. Carl is a fly angler.  I have fly fished the California Sierra and Alaska.  There I have encountered many trout smarter than I. Or at least I think I did since they ignored my various offerings. I will admit on occasion I have considered the use of hand grenades. However, I put that thought from my mind ? I would probably miss the lake on the throw.

I will admit I have met one smart trout fisherman. He ran the tackle shop on 395 in Bishop across from the trailer park at the north end of town. The lad made a fortune off me.

But, many years ago, when food was harder to come by than now, my mother would cut the red strip out of the carps back, pressure cook the fish until the bones got soft, make little fish patties and fry them. We did not know we were eating a "junk" fish. Times have changed a lot.

I had some friends who were at a lake in Washington that had an over abundance of gold fish so the DNR was there doing what I think they called a complete fish kill, where they kill off all the fish in the lake. There is nothing wrong with the fish and they are safe to eat. The DNR guy told them they could take all they wanted, trout, bass, crappie, bluegills, whatever, no limit.

There was a couple there who were pulling out a bunch of carp. They told them they smoked it all and that it was really good smoked.

I say,, maybe, but there are also people who say lutefisk is really good too.  :p

cadee2c said:
I had some friends who were at a lake in Washington that had an over abundance of gold fish so the DNR was there doing what I think they called a complete fish kill, where they kill off all the fish in the lake. There is nothing wrong with the fish and they are safe to eat. The DNR guy told them they could take all they wanted, trout, bass, crappie, bluegills, whatever, no limit.

There was a couple there who were pulling out a bunch of carp. They told them they smoked it all and that it was really good smoked.

I say,, maybe, but there are also people who say lutefisk is really good too.  :p
After living in Taiwan for a time and also visiting Japan several times, I found that carp wasn't too bad when steamed.  Then again, it may have been the beer... :)

To answer the first question.  A Fishing Rod....

Sorry I just could not stop myself

The best time to fish was yesterday....

Fish and Man "If they kept there mouth shut they would stay out of the frying pan"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom