What do I need to Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tin man said:
To answer the first question.  A Fishing Rod....
I agree.  My Uncle used to say there are only two rules in fishing.  Rule one - go fishing.  Rule two - retry rule one. :)

Carl L said:
Humor?  Sir or madam, I was not attempting levity, I was merely making an observation about a class of humanity to which I seem to belong.  I look at the fly and spinning rods, reels, spools of line, and the gazillions of flies, spoons, and assorted lures that I have collected over the years and I do doubt my mental ability.  (Do not get me started on bass fishermen, another class of which I am a tackle box-carrying member.)

Humpf, humor indeed!

I can relate to questioning my mental state when I compare my catch to cost ratio. After buying a half dozen boats, dozens upon dozens of fishing rods, and reels, a variety of tackle, lures, spinners, flies, attire, hats, artificial bait, and on and on and on one has to question their sanity.

cadee2c said:
There was a couple there who were pulling out a bunch of carp. They told them they smoked it all and that it was really good smoked.

I say,, maybe, but there are also people who say lutefisk is really good too.  :p

Wait a minute, you're from Minnesota and have never had smoked carp?  I'll almost bet that if you've eaten smoked fish, it could have been carp.  White Fish is better abut a lot of people smoke carp.

I am lazy, so this how I fish on the Colorado River here close to Yuma AZ. 8)

Attachments

• fishing with birds cormorants 19.jpg
    fishing with birds cormorants 19.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 59
Wait a minute, you're from Minnesota and have never had smoked carp?

Im not from Minnesota. I've only lived here about 20 years. I've never eaten lutefisk either.

Smoke a carp?  How do you smoke a carp?  Simple, cut off one end, light the other end, and puff.

I knew someone here would take us down that road. You can't resist the power of the pun.

I retired about 12 years ago and moved to a lakeside home, bought a new boat and started fishing.  I could go any time I wanted.  The boat wasn't in a slip, but I could easily launch from a concrete ramp about 1/2 mile away.  We tore up the lake.  Funny how it goes, though.  I don't have to fish in inclement weather or when it's too hot or when my bones ache.  So, I don't.  I soon found it was sometimes months between fishing outings.  But, I can go any time I want. :)

cadee2c said:
Im not from Minnesota. I've only lived here about 20 years. I've never eaten lutefisk either.

Contrary to popular belief, not all Minnesotans are Norweigenites?.
Minnesowda has a large contingent of Teutonics who collectively shake our heads in disbelief as our Nordic neighbors actually consume ?whitefish? (a polite term for ?bottom-feeder?) that has been soaked in drain cleaner - also known as Lutefisk.

But we?re not entirely blameless. We have our sauerbraten, shnitzengruben, sauerkraut, and various other dishes that would turn the uninitiated Norwegian stomach inside out.
A classic example from some time back was the annual potluck picnic, where I brought ?actual? potato salad (the german version) which did not sit well with the Andersons, Olaffsons, Pilkvists, Otegards, and the Svenguards, who were apparently expecting the milktoast version that is cold, and contains mayonnaise and hard boiled eggs?. Oh my gawd?uggh..

A horrible fight ensued (In thick Fargo-esque accent)?
Ivar Otegard: ?Ya know?. If a guys gonna make da potata salad, youd think he cudda done it right?
Me: ?This is done right. It?s true potato salad. Not that baby food version you?re used to.?
Sven Olaffson: ?Now dog gonnit..that ain?t potata salad. On account- a it?s got da vinegar in it.?
Me: ?You have to have the shredded beets with the potato salad to get the full effect.?
And so forth and so on??..

Dear Ingrid Otegard came to my rescue? ?Now Ivar, leave Bob alone. He has strange ways and ain?t quite right in da head.??..?

In subsequent years at the annual gathering, I?ve been taken off the food list and put on the beer list.  They DO appreciate a good german beer?.

Bob,  I think I'm a true Minnesotan.  I little bit Norwegian, a little bit Swedish, a little bit German, and a dash of Irish.  I missed out on the Finnish and Polish.  Did I miss anything else?

Sorry, I forgot this thread was about Curiosity's question about fishing.  Someone mentioned a closed real rod.  That's what I started fishing with when I was about five years old.  It's still a good way to start and the rods are affordable. Just ask the locals what they use for bait and where the good fishing "holes" are in your area.  Many of the old timers are wiling to share their fishing secrets and stories.  (I think I'm approaching the old timers category.)

Well, you need water, string, a stick and a hook and some bait....and a fishing license...

And I am a professional fishing guide!!!

Local bait and tackle shop will have all the information you need and will be happy to sell you everything you don't have!!!

Talk to the locals....

Jim

Curiosity said:
Oh no what did I start. ROFLOL.  ::)

You guys should take this show on the road.  :)

I have been told  something like that before.  As I remember, the words were:  "Hit the road, clown!"

Unless I just missed it, no one has mentioned the very important requirement for fishing,  Patience!

Bob, I totally read that conversation in "Minnesotan" accent.

and for what its worth, sauerkraut ranks right up there on the list with lutefisk. ish!

There are two tried and true methods for catching trout... Worms... big huge fat nightcrawlers and don't skimp on em. put as much as you can on the hook. I caught a 12 lb German Brown doing that (by the way, fisherman inches is sorta like internet inches... in reality is was just over 3lbs.)

The other method is using what our family called "egg sandwiches" 1 corn, 1 salmon egg (neon pink), and another corn, topped off with a marshmallow to keep it off the bottom.

Anyone can catch sunnies (aka blue gills)

When my son was 5, he caught a bass with an empty hook while sitting in a kid sized lawn chair waist deep in the lake. We put the fish on a stringer and left it in the water and when I walked too close to it, it tried to bite my little toe... they are territorial and will bite at anything.

cadee2c said:
...I caught a 12 lb German Brown doing that (by the way, fisherman inches is sorta like internet inches... in reality is was just over 3lbs.)....

Is a little known scientific fact that fish are the only organisms that grow after death.  In some cases a dead fish can double in size, or in this case, quadruple.

Back
Top Bottom