Please help this mechanical guy dim my lights and make my DW happy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LED lights come in three flavors for this discussion.
Some have current regulators, on this type using a pot to dim them will not likely work as the regulator, which is basically a variable resistor itself, will simply lower it's apparent resistance to counter the added resistance you put in.

The second kind is voltage regulated,, With this kind you can dim them with a pot, but again, it may not work the way you think and when dimmed they may respond to changes in your 12 volt system voltage as the converter changes modes or loads appear and dissappear (Epically the water pump, furnace and any macerator devices).

The third simply puts a resistor in the line with the LED, this is (normally) considered the WORST, and this type will respond to voltage changes, but the pot will work well

What would work better?  a variable voltage source.  There is a device, I think its rated at around 3 amps, that is a DC/DC converter, takes like 9 to 30 volts in and puts out an adjustable around 12 volts (or less)  This should work well.. I do not have a link to it but may well find one later today.

Just Lou said:
blw2 - Here is a dimmer marketed specifically for your RV incandescent bulb dimming.

Ned - I meant to specify a high wattage wire wound rheostat.  I just got tired of typing. ;D

Now that's exactly what I had pictured in my head...... thought it would be a simple pot from radio shack though.... or more accurately didn't think.....
arg..... I was wanting to tackle the project over this weekend.  Can't if I have to send away for it.....

Thanks everyone for the great discussion!

If you have a local Camping World store, they probably have 12v dimmers of both types. A few auto parts stores carry them, and larger marine stores too. Also specialty shops that do car audio and such may have them, though perhaps at a premium price.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If you have a local Camping World store, they probably have 12v dimmers of both types. A few auto parts stores carry them, and larger marine stores too. Also specialty shops that do car audio and such may have them, though perhaps at a premium price.

Tahnks Gary... interesting points!
I was just at the St Aug CW yesterday, saw the ones that look like this
http://www.adventurerv.net/dimmeronoff-rocker-switch-assembly-bezel-white-p-3951.html?gclid=COvm-PzywMICFRQQ7AodciwAgg&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle but nothing else.  I didn't think to ask.....
maybe I'll check auto parts or west marine.... thanks for the tip!

That' an intriguing idea for sure..... as they would likely be more functional when used as task lighting...... but it still wouldn't solve DW's need for dim background lighting..... so i wouldn't be done with it after all  :(

blw2 said:
That' an intriguing idea for sure..... as they would likely be more functional when used as task lighting...... but it still wouldn't solve DW's need for dim background lighting..... so i wouldn't be done with it after all  :(
Maybe a cheap pair of sunglasses?

One word of warning, those LED dimmers are a major source of Radio Frequency Interference, may disrupt TV or Radio (or not, depending on many things) .LEDs alone can be bad, but can be easily filtered, not so easy with the dimmers.

There are LOTS of dimmers with wireless remotes on eBay. Don't pay attention to the fact it says LED on the title, thats to narrow up search engines, look at the fact that allot of them are rated for 8A.

Like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-8A-IR-Remote-LED-Light-Dimmer-12-Key-Adjustable-Brightness-Control-/301138478679?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item461d408657  (Still can't figure out how to post a functional link on this forum)

I have 2 of these and tested them with a pair of 921 (IIRC) ceiling lamps and they work great. If you dont want to cut holes you can also find them that are installed in-line and buried so all you have is the remote. What you want is easy, but lose the incandescent regardless

Lou Schneider said:
I doubt you can find a potentiometer with the power handling capacity to do what you want.  Most potentiometers are rated at 1/2 watt to 1 watt - your light bulbs use about 24 watts each.

Now today it may be hard to find but in days of old when folks where bold the heater control on your car was basically a fan speed control... now what it was was a ceramic wire wound variable resistor (Potentiometer)  IF YOU CAN FIND ONE.
(Hunt very old auto parts stores).

You might get lucky.. I last found one around 1975

I also made a solid state Potentiometer once,, basically it is two main parts, a common "Volume control" type pot from Radio Shack and a power transistor with the needed amprage and wattage rating.. You need at least 30 watts heat sunk.

Back
Top Bottom