5W narrowed down....any input??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for the comments. I know the layout I want, so that has helped narrow some things down. Still looking hard at Montana's and Solitudes!! Made the mistake of looking into DRV's. Man those are nice, but harsh on the wallet!!
Keep the comments coming, I'm a big sponge at this point.

We were heading to buy new 5er as well.....and then we heard about an Arctic Fox for sale...rare beasts around here..the nearest dealer is just about on the other side of our country... I think there are only 38 or so dealerships in N/A. Went to see it and was blown away by how sturdy it felt. It isn't the floor plan we wanted but very livable.  It is also a 4 season unit so if we hit cold when we are escaping the northern climate, all will be ok.

As well, it was in excellent condition. We are not into bling nor Victorian woodworking so it fits our lifestyle. We figure we will be doing a lot of traveling in the 'states and we can trade it for one of their rear kitchen models at a later date ...plus, we have never lived  in an RV so we really don't know what we will want...

The search for a RV is fun so enjoy and I hope you find what fits you and your family.

ian.

Devinh2 said:
Thanks everyone for the comments. I know the layout I want, so that has helped narrow some things down. Still looking hard at Montana's and Solitudes!! Made the mistake of looking into DRV's. Man those are nice, but harsh on the wallet!!

I like the Solitudes, too (as a looker, have never owned one).  One thing I noticed about their front-living-quarter model - that rear bedroom has little or no cross ventilation.  Something to consider for when you're in warmish climates and don't want to, or can't, run the A/C.

After considering the various comments from those who have had experience with various makes and models, May I suggest you consider somewhat like we have done?.

We are now using our fifth 5th Wheel Model, a Montana 3750FL, that we purchased in 2010. We owned four others prior this this one since 1961, Red Dale, JayCo, Conquest, JayCo and now the Monty. We have enjoyed them all. and under the circumstances of each of those times, I would have bought every one again.

We use our Montana all 12 months of each year, both for business and pleasure trips, traveling mostly in the Midwest and Western States. We are no full timers but on average my wife and I live in our RV about 65 to 75 days each year.

We have selected our RV;'s based on our experience of how we will use them (our lifestyle), the floor plans that we believe will meet the way we use it, the conveniences and comforts of the appliances, furniture, utilities, etc., and the price (we have always purchased new). We have been happy with all five, different makes and models, that we have owned. Each one was the type we wanted at thime of our life the way we used them and we traded up only as time and our ages indicated that we desired an upgrade. We also moved up is size each time we bought a replacement, to meet our experience and desires.

I suggest that you give thought to the way you intend to use your RV, anticipate where and what you want it to be able to do to satisfy your using lifestyle, where you intend to go and  think through your day to day living in it in the locations and purpose of using the RV. Then actually check out as many makes and models as you are able, with your thoughts in mind. Using you budget after this you should be able to select the one that best suits your needs.

There will be plus and minus points on every one you consider but take your time and I am certain that you will be happy with your choice.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to the big RV show in Tacoma, Wa this weekend, so that should help muddy the waters even more!!  ;)  I know the floor plan that I want, and it needs to be a four season full time rig, so that helps me narrow things down a bit.

We are in our second Montana. Loved them both. We have had some issues (remember you will be hauling your home down bumpy roads). Overall we feel you get more bang for your buck with Montana.

You might want to check out the Evergreen RV Bay Hill line... we just took delivery of a 320RS model. We were impressed with the fit and finish, and that it came standard with an auto leveling system.

8Muddypaws said:
Heartland builds a nice looking RV and lots of people look no deeper than that.  The biggest RV dealer in my area is one of the biggest HL dealers around.  SeeGrins RV in Gilroy, Ca.

It was not a fridge fire.  HL and the lawyers tried every angle they could to pin it on the refer.  The Fire Marshall said the fire started 'near' the waterheater.  Not in the water heater, just near it.  That  would seem to point to an installation error wouldn't it?  Incidentally, nothing in the RV was on.  But it was plugged in to maintain the batteries.  If my sister in law hadn't had to pee in the middle of the night they could have been trapped in a burning house.  If it had happened a day later that would have been on their way to India on their honeymoon.

The stuff you're looking for, ie blaming the supplier, just ain't happening.  They use the same suppliers as everyone else and other than the crappy Jensen DVD/sound system stuck on the wall near the TV everything else has been reliable.  It's been replaced twice that I know of.

My brother in law, the one who lost his house, is on his third Heartland.

Muddypaws8,

Can you tell me what kind, year and model of HL FW your brother-in-law had and when it caught on fire.  Our HL FW also caught on fire in the middle of the night.  Hope to hear back from you.  Thanks.

MuddyPaws8:

Can you tell me what kind, year and model of HL FW your brother-in-law had and when it caught on fire.  Our HL FW also caught on fire in the middle of the night.  Hope to hear back from you.  Thanks.

I think it was about 5 years ago, So it would have been a 2010 or 2011 Sundance.  If you need specifics I can get you in touch with them if they agree to it.

Thanks for responding.  No need right now but we may get back I touch with you if you don't mind.  We are in the process of contacting HL.  Thnaks again. really appreciate your response!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom