Travel trailers and gas stations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arty198

My wife and I are brand new to RV'ing.  We took a short trip this past July and had one of the worst times ever. Towing a trailer and trying to locate a gas station that has the space to maneuver a trailer is about as hard a task as I've ever experienced. I don't know how many times I got off the highway to refuel, only to discover there wasn't room to for the TT and truck.  I've never seen anyone unhook a trailer just to get fuel, but it sure occurred to me to be an option if I didn't want to start walking. What's the secret to knowing where to get fuel?  I sweat bullets a couple times for nearly running out of gas.

I know about the book "Next exit", but it's mainly for Interstate.

Thanks in advance for any sound advice.

Arty

I try to fill up my truck before hooking to the TT and I'm sure you do too.  I really haven't had too much problem with getting gas with the TT hooked up.  When towing, I tend to fill up as soon as the tank gets below 1/2.  This gives me lots of miles to spot a gas station that I can either pull through or pull into and back up easily.  My suggestion would be to refill sooner when you can be more selective. I may be stopping more than I need to but a break is always welcome anyway.

Sometimes that is a problem, especially in a built up area. There are places that it is really tight but in all the years I've been RVing, I've only had to unhitch once. Better to do that than run out of fuel but it's also better to stop before fuel becomes a problem. Usually I do that between 1/2 to 1/4 tank remaining. Need to get out and stretch legs anyhow.

We try to schedule our stops around Flying J stops.  They are generally 2 hrs or so apart.  Have plenty of room, most of the time.  Plus they somewhat cater to RVers moreso than others.

arty198 said:
My wife and I are brand new to RV'ing.? We took a short trip this past July and had one of the worst times ever. Towing a trailer and trying to locate a gas station that has the space to maneuver a trailer is about as hard a task as I've ever experienced. I don't know how many times I got off the highway to refuel, only to discover there wasn't room to for the TT and truck.? I've never seen anyone unhook a trailer just to get fuel, but it sure occurred to me to be an option if I didn't want to start walking. What's the secret to knowing where to get fuel?? I sweat bullets a couple times for nearly running out of gas.

Know the feeling.  I have never in 11 years had to unhitch tho.    I have learned to look for gas stations out in the country and in small towns, preferrably on the edge of those small towns.  Larger towns and cities are generally hopeless -- top off your gas before entering them.  Regard the half tank mark as the time to start looking for a fill up. 

I agree with the half reading.  My tank holds 33 gal...  at 1/4, I can put in 30 gal.
Art

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom