Help for the crank and your back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philnoklahoma

Just stumbled across this socket that was designed to handle your cranking up the top.  I found I could raise the roof okay but sometimes needed an extra breath to do so.  Found this link for the socket help https://www.customcylindersintinc.com/socket_jenie_sockets.htm. Tried to show this as a link but may have been tech challenged, lol.  Anyway the web address is valid.  The socket will allow the crank to work with a drill but also your hand crank in case power is not available.  Seems to be cheaper than replacing your manual crank up system on the pup.  My first attempt at this :) so be kind.

Staff edit: Make URL hot

Good link for those who need special tools,, Many jacks use a 3/4 inch nut, same as the lugs on many cars, And a standard drill with a the proper socket and adapter work fine... Or a power tire lug removal device (i have both)

John From Detroit said:
Good link for those who need special tools,, Many jacks use a 3/4 inch nut, same as the lugs on many cars, And a standard drill with a the proper socket and adapter work fine... Or a power tire lug removal device (i have both)

I tried that, but my cordless drill just didn't have enough torque. I ended up getting a cordless impact driver. it is slow, but has loads of torque.

I thought of it when I  saw one on a close out sale at Ace. The thing cost me $18, and included the Li battery, charger, an assortment of bits, and a nice zipper carrying bag. Oddly, I thought about getting a spare battery, but it was $20.

Joel

The requirement for a 1/2" drill chuck will likely limit its usefulness. Not many carry that big a drill, especially in the cordless variety..... But it may work fine for you!!!

Even though I have gone to a TT our first was a Coleman Pup. Those sockets are handy! You need a heavy duty drill 18v Li minimum, 24v is better. Over on another Pup specific forum they warn about using cordless "impacts" the hammering can cause damage either to shearing the roll pins or the small friction disc in the lift system.... YMMV

I just picked up a new Rockwood A121HW with a manual tongue jack.  I didn't like cranking it at all so I made an adapter to replace the crank handle.  Our first time out I had a hitch pin installed so I could go back to the handle easily, but my cordless impact drill handled raising and lowering the tongue just fine, so when we returned I replaced the pin with a screw and nut (I'm keeping the handle handy in case my drill craps out....).

Attachments

• Tongue Jack Adapter1.jpg
    Tongue Jack Adapter1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Tongue Jack Adapter2.jpg
    Tongue Jack Adapter2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member