Propane flow issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomnnva

Don?t know if this is a Winnie specific problem, John will know.

We don?t use our propane very often, the only use left on our rig is the cook stove.  So just prior to winter storage here is AZ, I tried the stove, no luck.

1) Inside coach gage shows ? tank of propane remaining.
2) Gage on propane tank shows ? full, also.
3) I made sure I turned ?on? the valve on the tank, many times.
4) The last time the stove was used was probably 8-9 months ago, worked fine.
5) This is still the original tank of propane that came with the new rig.
6)    No propane smell after leaving stove "on" for 30 minutes.

Edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Just for the heck of it, and I  know you already turned it on and off several times, but turn it off again and wait 2-3 minutes, then double check that the stove/oven/hot water tank are all off, the turn the propane one again very slowly.

tomnnva said:
Don?t know if this is a Winnie specific problem, John will know...
Gosh Tom - not sure if you have a generic propane issue or an issue with the Winnie house, your thread can at least live here for a while.

I'm thinking a regulator problem or a shutoff solenoid problem - you might try rapping on the regulator.

Just wondering have you held a lit match by the burner when you try to light it? Can you hear propane /air coming out? The match is a good indicator you are getting something out of the burner. If there is no flow I would do like John said turn the valve solenoid on and tap the valve with a plastic mallet. Good luck.
Bill

My next step would be to disconnect the outlet side of the regulator (near the tank) and see if you get gas there. It's very low pressure coming out the regulator, about 0.5 psi. If you have gas there, then you probably have an oil clog in a line downstream. May be able to blow it out with compressed air if you open up the other end(s) near the appliances.  If no gas there, replace the regulator (standard LP item, not expensive). You can test the flow from the tank if you carefully crack the valve with the regulator removed.  That's extremely high pressure, so be cautious.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will go to the storage lot today and give them a try.  One thing I forgot about is an extra propane connection located on the side of the rig, quick connect for use in low LP applications, I don't see how this could cause the problem, but I'll check that also.

The tee for an auxiliary LP tank should be upstream of the regulator (the high pressure side). If it is downstream form the regulator, the aux LP tank must have a regulator of its own. In either location, a failure of the tee inlet check valve would let LP escape from the coach lines.

Problem Fixed.

The most difficult part of the fixed turned out to be partially removing the plastic cover that Winnie placed over the propane regulator.  I never did get the cover completely off, but I was able to twist it around and get a wrench under it so that I could beat on the regulator.  That was the fix, beat on the propane regulator.  Thanks for the help, we will attempt to use the stove more than once a year.

Back
Top Bottom