$19 OBD2 reader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
If you're looking for an inexpensive OBD2 reader, this device should fill the bill.  Uses Bluetooth to work with an Android or Windows tablet for the display.  Almost like a VMSpc for non-diesels :)

Ebay has probably 50 different ones for sale on any given day for between 10 and 25 dollars.  I have one that sends signals to my phone which runs Torque for engine managment.

There are also ELM327 USB cords that can be hooked to a laptop...and many free programs that you can download.

I keep a $99 scanner in my truck.....handy if the engine light comes on while on the road

In my cloud computing class last year, we designed an app similar to this. Of course ours was bigger and better and had all the bells and whistles, such as along with the diagnostics, you could bring up nearby verified (paid sponsors) trustworthy mechanics who could help you fix the problems. :D If any of us ever wanted to actually turn it into something we could have probably paid our tuition.

Caryl

javandyke said:
What a neat gizmo. I was about to purchase a second ScanGauge and this solution looks much better.

Do let us know how it works for you.

javandyke said:
What a neat gizmo. I was about to purchase a second ScanGauge and this solution looks much better.

Thanks Ned!

I have both this and a ScanGauge II. The Scangauge now usually sits in the glove box of my Tundra. The Torque Pro app for Android is fantastic. There is a gauge available for every ODB2 function. If you want a dedicated display, use one of your old Android phones that's sitting in a drawer. Load the app from Wifi, and away you go.

I am a neophyte in this area but am interested in an OB2 reader.  I would like to have a system that will work on my 2009 Saturn Aura, 2014 Lexus ES350, 2007 Monaco Diplomat 400HP Cummins Diesel Roadmaster Chassis and a 2006 Mandalay 400HP Cummins Diesel Freightliner Chassis.

Will this device and VMSPC provide Engine Information to the PC, if not what will I need.

Got mine installed today, and downloaded Torque onto my android phone.  Started the engine and paired the device.  No data is transmitted to my phone, and a "NJ1939" error appears on my instrument cluster.  Removed the device from the OBDII connection and the error went away.  So far it looks like I wasted about $20.00.  I am going to do some research and see if I can make this work.

Also, in the info I read said it would work with Android and Windows, but a search of the "Torque" forum says that it wont.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom