Traffic Expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

In years past we have gone south in the 2nd or 3rd week of January.  We have heard horror stories about wall to wall traffic on I-75 southbound on January 1.

This year we are leaving on Monday (12/22).  We have decided to avoid Atlanta and go down I-65 as far as Montgomery, and then take a turn towards the Georgia / Florida line, joining up with I-75.

The discussion is currently how much traffic we should expect.  Given that the travel will likely be on the 22, 23, 24 and 25, I contend that we should expect increased holiday traffic and plan for delays.  The other school of thought is that once we are outside of urban areas, there would be little traffic on the 25th.

Anyone with experience on this route care to chime in and hazard a guess as to what we should expect?

Also, do the states of Kentucky or Alabama allow overnight parking in rest stops?  (Or are we better off in a Walmart lot?)

Neither Alabama or Kentucky allow overnight stops in their rest areas.  Kentucky officially allows 4 hour stops.  Haven't tried either, so I don't know how strictly the rules are enforced.

Have a safe trip!

The Walmart in Glasgow, KY is a safe place that permits overnight parking.  From I-65 use Exit 53 at Cave City and take Hwy. 90 for about nine miles toward Glasgow.  It is a good road.  Go straight through the light at the Veterans Outer Loop and the entrance to the parking lot will be on the right at the next light.

Hope you have a great trip & if you need any help in southern KY will be glad to try.

Back
Top Bottom