"Wide World" trailer (not 5th wheel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayrenee

Need ifo...
I am TOTALLY new to the "RV" world so "bare" with me for my ignorance...

I have been offered a trailer that only has "Wide World" printed on the side of it.
Colors are white and a peach (pinkish?).
It looks like a late 70's early 80's trailer.
The only door is on the right side and it has 4 total wheels below it.
It gets towed behind a truck off of a hitch.
Looks like it has a stove and bathroom etc.
2 propane cylinders up by the hitch.

It needs work on the inside and the outside needs some TLC but it looks do-able.
I will talk to the owner later this week but I am trying to recon what info I can before I talk to him.

(I believe I will be getting this for free so cost would only be fixing it up)
Thanks,
RW3

Well, I hope you are prepared for a lot of work and expense. Parts for RVs aren't cheap and if you end up replacing big ticket items like a fridge your "free" trailer may not be a bargain.

You had better figure on a set of tires too, no matter how good they may look. If the are more than about 5-6 years old, they aren't worth trying to drive on if the trailer has been sitting around unused and undriven.

I'd say your first chore is to assess what needs doing on this prize and then see if you want to repair it or simply put your money into a decent used model.  There are an awful lot of older Rvs on the market and prices are usually quite low.

I have to second the above response.
We have an 84 Avion, a real beauty. We've had it 5 years, and lived in it for 6 months straight when we sold our house, waiting to close on the new one.
We also use it for the winter to travel in every year, and for a month in September during Elk season.
I just replaced the fridge, 1200 bucks, and the furnace (650 bucks) as well as the range, which was actually reasonable at about 500 bucks. With the labor, it was a pretty expensive summer retrofit.
We need new tires next year, even though these are beautiful wth deep tread, and no checking or cracking. too bad.
The water heater can go out too, and that is more expense.
You can find a rig in good shape, and still pay less than you might expect, but be prepared to replace these items anytime after you get set up.
The other thing you have to consider is towing. Is your truck (Towing Vehicle or TV) set up for the extra load on it's rear end, and do you have a weight equalizer hitch (anouther $250 or so)? if you haven't towed anything, you will need some practice before you take off with your new home. Borrow a cargo trailer, and practice towing, and backing. See  how your TV responds to the extra load (handling and overheating?), and how well you can see or not. Watch your turns, and rear bumper drag, etc. How do you and your wife get along on the radio? Backing is a real strain on a marraige sometimes. Nicest thing I ever saw, was a guy in a neighboring spot, take the radio from the driver's wife, and let her sit at the picnik table while he backed her husband into the spot. Nobody got upset.
Are you handy? You will have a routine of maintainance that you have to do to keep everything running, or repaired. You will learn all about water and black and grey waste tanks. You will get far more familiar with that than you ever thought possible.
Are you organized? There is a mental check list of items you have to do every time you make up your mind to tow that baby.
I have seen lots of guys pull out of RV parks still attached to the sewer or water line, or power and tear something up. Lots of guys going down the road with antennas up, or even slide outs still deployed!
As with any new thing, you can achieve a level of expertise. Get all the advice you can from knowledgable people, and read everyting you can find.
Get the rig checked out at a reputable RV mechanic. It may cost you some bucks, but can save you a ton of money avoiding a problem rig.
Don't forget to check the frame for bad rust, the running gear, and the inside paneling for rot and dampness.
Best of luck with your new rig.

Back
Top Bottom