transporting a firearm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

I was going to tack this on to an old thread but there was no reply button..... do you admin folks close threads when they get old?
anyway
getting ready to go on my first long trip in our RV soon.
I generally carry a small revolver with me when I travel.  I'm a CCW permit holder, but generally travel with it locked in a box with ammo but unloaded (for safety with the kids).... but so that I can get to it if I'm ever placed into a dangerous situation, such as breaking down on the side of the road.....  I know, I know.....
Anyway, I'm legal in all the states I plan to go to...

I was considering a stop at the Naval Aviation Museum, but it dawned on me that it's on a military base..... so I can't drive there with the gun in the RV....
So my choice is to not go there, or leave it at home.  Ugh.

But I was thinking about you full timers.  How would you handle it?  Seems like a sticky situation that was be easy not to see until its too late........

I am looking for a good answer to this as well. No military base will answer with anything except "Don't  bring the weapon on base."
I have several friends that simply don't tell. That risks not good things happening. The ones that do have literally done so forever.
Anyhow, heres hoping someone has a real answer.
Bob

Leave the weapon at home.  How many times have you had to threaten or kill someone in the past?  ;)

During the course of my employment I have had to enter a secure installation. I declared my weapon and they placed the weapon in a secure locker that I picked up on my way out. You should call the specific installation and verify their system of handling weapons. Each installation will have their procedures, you will not have been the  first person with this issue.

RE YOLO, never.  But rather and never need than wish it was close by.  You never know what can happen, and with luck it never will.

As to entry on the base, could you just leave behind in a secure place in the RV and go on in the car or truck?  This is what I did when I got a toour of an Air Traffic station.

To expand on what Bill said. We have never lived in a crazy world like we live in today. I never leave home with out some form of defense. Even here in the Midwest people are shot or killed along our highways when having car problems. Others are killed by folks who just wanted to see a person die.

PancakeBill said:
As to entry on the base, could you just leave behind in a secure place in the RV and go on in the car or truck?  This is what I did when I got a toour of an Air Traffic station.
During travel I often wish to use the MWR facilities for camping and other recreation opportunities. It would defeat the purpose leaving the RV off post :-\.
Oscar, I haven't found a base yet that offers secure storage at the entry point. Bases used to let you take a weapon to the armory at the shooting range but haven't allowed that in years. :(
I am not discussing gun issues since that tends to get otherwise productive subjects closed.

Maybe you can check near the base to see if there are shooting ranges or gun shops nearby who may be willing to hold your gun while you go on base.

ksbowman said:
To expand on what Bill said. We have never lived in a crazy world like we live in today. I never leave home with out some form of defense. Even here in the Midwest people are shot or killed along our highways when having car problems. Others are killed by folks who just wanted to see a person die.

Yes, and some people are struck by lightening. There may even be a few who die from meteor strikes.

An essential (but too often neglected) step in risk management is to understand the probability that the the hazard in question might actually occur. I am quite certain that you are in far less danger when broken down on the side of the road, than you are when driving on that same road.

Joel

Give a local gun shop a call and ask if you can leave your weapon there.

I see the naysayers are already tuning up, so hopefully I'll get my suggestion in before they get the topic closed.

Ken

Another option may be to rent a safe deposit box at a bank. This would work I suppose if you were going to stay at one place for a long time.

I'd be worried more about taking it into a bank.  Nothing good ever happens in banks when guns appear.

Call 'em.  It won't hurt to ask and they you'll know.  Please pass it on here because I'm spending a couple of days at Edwards AFB next month and have the same problem.

bobsharon said:
During travel I often wish to use the MWR facilities for camping and other recreation opportunities. It would defeat the purpose leaving the RV off post :-\.
Oscar, I haven't found a base yet that offers secure storage at the entry point. Bases used to let you take a weapon to the armory at the shooting range but haven't allowed that in years. :(
I am not discussing gun issues since that tends to get otherwise productive subjects closed.

I said Secure Installation, I did not say Military Installation, that's why I recommended calling the installation for their procedures.

bobsharon said:
I am looking for a good answer to this as well. No military base will answer with anything except "Don't  bring the weapon on base."
I have several friends that simply don't tell. That risks not good things happening. The ones that do have literally done so forever.
Anyhow, heres hoping someone has a real answer.
Bob

Ok, here is what I've learned on this issue.  Throughout most of the country one can have a gun in the vehicle, loaded ready to protect people.  In Illinois, Maryland, and New York City, NY, it must be unloaded, with ammunition stored in a separate place, both lockable, without access from the inside of the vehicle.  On a military post, federal prison, etc. you have two options, stop by a gun shop or most pawn shops, and they will store it for you for, usually, under $5 a day.  I've had them as cheap as free, they will give you a receipt with the serial number on it.

In a pinch, I disassemble the guns, and lock the separate pieces in different locations in the Truck/MH.  According to my Lawyer, it's a chance you take, but most people would never give you a problem with "gun parts," and he believes we could beat it in court if it goes that far.  But regardless, you should be as humble and cooperative as humanly possible to avoid is going to court, yes sir, yes mam, even if it's a 20 yo kid and you're an 80 yo adult.  It's also a good investment to purchase the small gun safes to have in your MH, mine are bolted down.  They can be some place in the MH if they are lockable, other wise they need to be in a outside lockable container, such as a box locked in the basement.  If a gun is in pieces, you are telling the truth when you say you have no firearms; you have firearm parts, but as long as that's not the question, your answer is defensible. 

The exception to this is California, if you have a magazine over 10 rounds there, you can be charged as if you had an assault weapon.  So even if there's a chance I could be going to CA, I leave my magazines that hold over 10 rounds at home. 

This is not legal advice, consult your own attorney, I'm a truck driver who pays good money to others to keep up with this stuff for me.  There are many services that cover multiple states you can employ, here is one I've used; https://www.texaslawshield.com/  They don't cover every state, maybe someone else knows of a service that does.

I just visited an different Army base that had museums on it.  They never asked, and I never even gave it a thought.  Don't overthink it. If they ask about weapons, just tell the truth. I'm sure they have some system.  It must come up all the time.

Entered several bases where our son was stationed
when he was alive. I just secured it with luggage
out of the "area of control" an no one ever asked
nor did they search.

That could change at anytime, however that was
my experience.

8Muddypaws said:
I'd be worried more about taking it into a bank.  Nothing good ever happens in banks when guns appear.
I agree!
Old me and PrairieParson you join several others that I know that risk ugly happening. I have known of an individual with an errant shell, not even a weapon on board charged when entering a government facility with "Weapon or materials in their possession". They conduct random searches and really up their game when threat levels are elevated.
99WinAdventurer37G your idea I will have to try. It will be a PITA but for short term doable.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom