transporting a firearm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The TSA couldn't care less about the ammo true...but DOT has other opinions.  As a commercial driver and formerly a commercial airplane driver I can say that DOT will allow certain amounts of ammunition.  The problem comes in when the insurance industry and the attorneys get asked.  Most carriers will prohibit ammunition in any quantity simply because they don't want or need the hassle.

The work around is easy, it's simple to ship ammo.  It's not so simple to ship a gun to another state, you can ship it but picking it up can be problematic unless you have residency in the terminating state.

Then I would say if you don't want the hassle of flying with them, and don't want to drive, ship them using an FFL.  You can ship your guns from a local FFL to one near where you are going and pick them up there for a small fee plus shipping.  Any gun shop and most pawnshops can facilitate.  Call around for the best price.  I've gotten it for free a few times, just paid shipping.

Even though it's legal to ship a gun to yourself, very few if any gun shops will release it to you unless you meet local and state laws.  You would have to be a resident of the state in which you were picking it up.  I as a resident of Wyoming can not ship a gun to an FFL in Texas and then pick it up.  You might be able to pull that off if you had the receiving states CCW but since Nevada requires residency for CCW and respects no on elses CCW (or very few) than that trick won't work.

Foto-n-T said:
Even though it's legal to ship a gun to yourself, very few if any gun shops will release it to you unless you meet local and state laws.  You would have to be a resident of the state in which you were picking it up.  I as a resident of Wyoming can not ship a gun to an FFL in Texas and then pick it up.  You might be able to pull that off if you had the receiving states CCW but since Nevada requires residency for CCW and respects no on elses CCW (or very few) than that trick won't work.

That's not true.  You only have to be a resident of the state to BUY A a gun from that FFL (not even always then) not to just receive it.  I have done it many many times and never been turned down or encountered any problems. The gun shop makes money when you do this, it's legal, so why on earth would they refuse?

By the way, Nevada honors permits (even non-resident permits) from 14 other states.  They allow carry in state parks, state/national forests, and "No Guns" signs do not have any force of law.  Open Carry is also legal.

It's very counterproductive to cite the laws of an area if you don't verify you're correct first.

I stand corrected then on picking one up.

I do still stand by my statement, "Nevada requires residency for CCW and respects no on elses CCW (or very few)" though.  But I'm impressed, 14 whole states huh?  And not one of those states borders the state of Nevada.  They honor Alaska of all places which has no requirement for CCW and has Constitutional Carry but no other state that has Constitutional Carry like Arizona and Wyoming.  Sorry but I'm not impressed by 14 states.

Foto-n-T said:
I stand corrected then on picking one up.

I do still stand by my statement, "Nevada requires residency for CCW and respects no on elses CCW (or very few)" though.  But I'm impressed, 14 whole states huh?  And not one of those states borders the state of Nevada.  They honor Alaska of all places which has no requirement for CCW and has Constitutional Carry but no other state that has Constitutional Carry like Arizona and Wyoming.  Sorry but I'm not impressed by 14 states.

Nevada does NOT require residency for CCW.  Nevada issues both resident and non-resident CCW permits.  I will give you that 14 states is not enough.  However, 49 is not enough.  Also, Idaho permits are honored and they are a bordering state.  I will also mention that there are ZERO states with constitutional carry, regardless of what they call it.  Constitutional carry would be pursuant to the second amendment, which contains no restrictions.  Doesn't say you have to be 21 years old, doesn't say you can't carry in any specific place, doesn't say anything about any of the regulations currently infringing on the second amendment. 

Gun laws are something I am very knowledgeable and passionate about.  Impressing you isn't important to me, correcting false information in order to ensure people are well informed on the single most important right in existence, the right to keep and bear arms, is.

As usual the interweb isn't always the best place to get important info, i.e. resident CCW and reciprocity.  When I looked up Nevada reciprocity I didn't come up with any bordering states.  I really would like to know the reasoning behind not honoring AZ and UT, I can understand CA.

Foto-n-T said:
I really would like to know the reasoning behind not honoring AZ and UT, I can understand CA.
Reciprocity is more than honoring another states license. Reciprocity is an agreement between two or more entities that if you will honor mine, I will honor yours. CA will not honor anyone's license.
The agreement is not necessarily lacking due to Nevada action.

Foto-n-T said:
As usual the interweb isn't always the best place to get important info, i.e. resident CCW and reciprocity.  When I looked up Nevada reciprocity I didn't come up with any bordering states.  I really would like to know the reasoning behind not honoring AZ and UT, I can understand CA.
It is my understanding that NV requires a demonstration of firearm proficiency.  It doesn't recognize other states that don't.

Wyoming require an NRA course, hunter safety or pistol course, both of which require proficiency to pass.  Arizona requires demonstration of proficiency as well as legal training, neither are honored by Nevada.

Foto-n-T said:
Wyoming require an NRA course, hunter safety or pistol course, both of which require proficiency to pass.  Arizona requires demonstration of proficiency as well as legal training, neither are honored by Nevada.

AZ no longer requires any training !!

You should tell that to the AZ officials. From their web site: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

General Eligibility
Applicants must: 
be a resident of this state or a United States citizen;
Is twenty-one years of age or older or is at least nineteen years of age and provides evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces, United States Armed Forces Reserve or a State National Guard.
not be under indictment for a felony offense;
not be convicted of a felony offense, unless the conviction has been expunged, set aside, vacated or pardoned, or the individuals right to possess firearms has be restored AND the individual must not be a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.
not suffer from mental illness and been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;
not be unlawfully present in the United States;
complete a firearms safety training program pursuant to ARS ?13-3112.N.

I suppose it's possible that they've changed the law in the past year, however it was a requirement on 8/28/2013 when they issued mine.

Ken

I think they were alluding to the fact that AZ now does not "require" a permit to carry concealed.  In order to obtain an AZ CCW though you do have to complete a training course and also prove proficiency with a gun not necessarily the one you will carry.

This may sound offensive to some but you'd have to be an idiot to carry concealed without any sort of training.  There's way too much responsibility involved in toting around a shootin' iron to just strap the thing on and think you will react the way you've fantasized about since you were in training pants.  Think before you carry, if you have to use it your life will never be the same.

Foto-n-T said:
I think they were alluding to the fact that AZ now does not "require" a permit to carry concealed.  In order to obtain an AZ CCW though you do have to complete a training course and also prove proficiency with a gun not necessarily the one you will carry.

This may sound offensive to some but you'd have to be an idiot to carry concealed without any sort of training.  There's way too much responsibility involved in toting around a shootin' iron to just strap the thing on and think you will react the way you've fantasized about since you were in training pants.  Think before you carry, if you have to use it your life will never be the same.

I thought we were talking about CCW reciprocity, which requires a CCW permit, which requires a class. If you're just walking around in AZ then it's a different story.

Ken

In AZ you do not need a permit to conceal carry.

But to get a permits does require "training" in addition to the other requirements listed.
This training can be as simple as a hunter safety course, a national rifle association course or proof of military service. It does not have to involve proficiency with a hand gun.

Sorry if I mis-stated the case in my previous post, but I had read an article that they had dropped all training requirements - but that's not true if you want a permit.

Nevada stopped honoring the AZ permit when AZ downgraded the training requirement below Nevada's standard. AZ's permit is still honored by many states.

ask them if Navada gives you reciprocity of the Bill of Rights,  if so...could they please show you in the 2nd amendment where it says you need a ccw permit.

I believe this post has somewhat gotten away from the original post, but has been entertaining.  I do have a question. I would like to know if having a handgun in the 5er but not carrying concealed is legal in most states?  Ofcourse it would be locked in a cabinet and unloaded, but available if I wanted to use it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom