transporting a firearm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Frizie's idea. Leave the weapon in the RV and rent a car for the day.

I look at carrying a weapon like a seat belt. You might drive around without a seat belt and never have a accident in your entire life. Or... You might drive round without it and have accident and wish your wearing your seat belt. Just like carrying a weapon you might carry a weapon for years and nothing happen but the day you relax and leave it at home you'd wish you didn't. Out here you worry about the four leggers more that the two leggers till you get to the bigger cities then you watch the two leggers.

cgmartin said:
...I retired from a local law enforcement agency in California, and as a honorably retired officer, I qualify for the basic CCW permit, which is only good in California. It is not honored anywhere elsei unless I have a special endorsement, which is separate from the CCW itself. I let the endorsement lapse, so now I am only good in California...

HR218 or "LEOSA" allows active duty and qualified retired LEO's to carry concealed in any state, no permit necessary.  Individual state laws can still regulate prohibited zones such as government buildings, schools, liquor stores, bars, and so on.  But in any area where an individual with a resident CHL/CCW can carry, so can you.

It's quite sad about the 2yr old that shot his mother with her concealed gun in Walmart.  I don't care if you carry or not, but please make sure no else can get at your gun.

kjansen said:
It's quite sad about the 2yr old that shot his mother with her concealed gun in Walmart.  I don't care if you carry or not, but please make sure no else can get at your gun.

The mother was totally negligent in this case. It is so sad for something that was preventable real easy.

I normally carry double safe.

1. Nothing in the chamber.
2. Safety ON.

But it takes less than 1-2 seconds to draw, click to FIRE, and cock the the slide.

Same here...I never carry with a round chambered.  I've heard the argument that the time it takes to chamber a round can be the difference in coming out on top of the altercation or not.....but like the MoparMan stated, I can go from holster to painting my target in under 2 seconds.  If my situational awareness is working, that's fast enough.

The Wal-Mart incident can be completely laid at the hands of the deceased.  Negligent firearm owner, plain and simple.

IMHO carrying a gun in a purse is a mistake.  Purses get snatched all the time and in that case you just gave a gun to a criminal.

Carrying a gun in a purse with a chambered round is incredibly stupid.  She probably had little to no training and it cost her plenty.

Ladies have so many options to carry concealed but the best one I've seen is called a 'Flash Bang holster'.  (Google it) Seems like a silly and sexist idea but I'll bet they work.

Wonder what this is going to the child in the long run.

Trailer traveler said:
If what you say is true than each state could requiire that you have a driver's license and register your vehicle in their state in order to operate it in their state. I'm sure they would love to have all the extra revenue from nonresidents who want to drive in/through their state. It is Federal Law that requires states to honor the drivers licenses and vehicle registration of residents of other states. Their is no constitutional right to have a driver's license it is considered a priviledge. Most recently the state of Arizona's rules/laws regarding who must be issued driver's licenses has been over turned by the Federal courts.

As to carry, there is a very sigificant legal difference between carry and transport. If you don't know the difference, I suggest you do some additional research on the definitions of those terms as they are used in many of the laws regarding firearms. The Federal Law in 18 USC addresses interstate transportation not carrying of a firearm.

Ok, so heres my last attempt at clarifying (I can see comprehension is a tough nut for you to crack). YOUR interpretation of a Federal law means NOTHING when you're staring at an officer that just discovered you're transporting and/or carrying a firearm through his state. You'll be hauled off, your rig will be hauled off, and then you'll get your chance to attempt to defend yourself. All the while you'll have a nice FELONY charge on your record. Oh, and enjoy that HUGE towing & impound bill!

And again, your WRONG about the Federal governments influence with Drivers License. ALL (non-commercial) drivers licensing rules/laws & enforcement is the duty of the individual state. You can drive in other states purely because they all share reciprocity as far as testing requirements....thats it, not sure how much more plainly I can put it.

You couldn't have connected two less related items than the ability to drive a vehicle, and the ability to transport/carry firearms.

I've been handing/carrying/shooting guns all of my life. I have trained with Sig Sauer here in New Hampshire. No small part of that training was the laws pertaining to the very guns were were training with. Furthermore, I got into several discussions with one of our instructors (retired ATF) regarding "transporting and/or carrying firearms through other states". There is NO Federal law that authorizes civilians to legally carry through any particular state without authorization from that state. State law trumps Federal law...

I'll close with the most entertaining line of the thread:

"If what you say is true than each state could requiire that you have a driver's license and register your vehicle in their state in order to operate it in their state".....heres your sign  ;)

I am a concealed carry permit holder and have a handgun in the motor home or truck with me when on the road. I have seen twice recently on the news about the state of Maryland using license plate reader that are linked into numerous state concealed carry data bases. Seemed strange when I saw it the first time, but more plausible the second time. The Floridian was stopped and searched (after giving permission). He told the officer that the weapon was at home (which was correct). His wife when asked said she assumed it was in the car. They searched the car for an hour or so. Bottom line is the technology is getting very interconnected. I have had my weapons in all of the lower 48 and my CCP is valid in only 32 states. I am afraid that those days are over now. There has been a bill in congress for years allowing some common sense nationwide rules rather than the patchwork we have now, but it has never been able to pass the Senate and be signed into law.

Lindsay Richards said:
I have seen twice recently on the news about the state of Maryland using license plate reader that are linked into numerous state concealed carry data bases.
What states provide links between license plates and CCW databases? They are not supposed to allow  that, at least not here in Texas. Can you provide a link to one of the Maryland instances?

Why would anyone ever give a cop permission to search your motorhome?

they need a warrant. permission or probable cause to search any vehicle,

make them get a warrant, or show you the probable cause.

never admit to having a weapon in the vehicle, if they find one, don't answer any questions !

tell them that you want the questions to stop..... and you want an attorney..... and completely stop talking !

Cops should know the law, and also need to follow the laws............. make 'em do their job right.

TonyDtorch said:
Why would anyone ever give a cop permission to search your motorhome?

they need a warrant. permission or probable cause to search any vehicle,

make them get a warrant, or show you the probable cause.

never admit to having a weapon in the vehicle, if they find one, don't answer any questions !

tell them that you want the questions to stop..... and you want an attorney..... and completely stop talking !

Cops should know the law, and also need to follow the laws............. make 'em do their job right.

In Texas when stopped, if you have a CHL, you must present it with your license.  If you don't, it will show up on their computer anyway, and you can lose it.  The usual experience of showing my license and telling them I have my gun with me, is, "What kind of gun to you carry?"  the next question is "Where is it?" sometimes they ask to see it, other times not.  But I believe it has helped me more times than it has hurt me. The cops know that less than 3% of CHL holders are ever involved in a crime.  We've all gone through a federal background check and have our fingerprints on file.  Most are law abiding citizens that know our responsibility is to protect ourselves, the cops write the reports on the deaths of those that fail to properly protect themselves. 

I've had cops quiz me about my practice rituals. I even had one suggest I do some wind sprints and then shoot at my targets.  He said getting your adrenalin moving will be more realistic than calmly shooting at stationary targets.  All have been very informative conversations, and many times when I thought I was going to get a ticket they let me off.  Most cops like guns, and talking about them seems to put the cops in a good mood. 

But, a very cooperative attitude, with respect, works a lot better at a road side stop than saying something like; "Don't you have some real criminals to hassle?"  That type of attitude should just about guarantee it won't be a good encounter. 

99WinAdventurer37G said:
But, a very cooperative attitude, with respect, works a lot better at a road side stop than saying something like; "Don't you have some real criminals to hassle?"  That type of attitude should just about guarantee it won't be a good encounter.

That is pretty much the bottom line.  A tiny splash of respect will take you miles.....

Back to the original question - I recently took my son to an Army base. It was an unexpected trip and I forgot I had my gun until we were pulling up to the gate.  I pulled in the parking lot and my son went in and told them I had my concealed carry in the car. Since the base had a shooting range that was open to the public, they simply required me to unload the weapon and put it in the trunk. The ammo was put in the glove box. No problem. They didn't even come out to check. We got our pass and my son took care of his business on base.

bobsharon said:
What states provide links between license plates and CCW databases? They are not supposed to allow  that, at least not here in Texas.

It is true that in Texas your CHL is not tied to your license plate directly.  However, it IS tied directly to your driver's license, which is available under the vehicle owner's information able to be obtained by running the plates.  So in a round about way, yes they can figure out you have a CHL by your plates.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
In Texas when stopped, if you have a CHL, you must present it with your license.  If you don't, it will show up on their computer anyway, and you can lose it.

Texas is a duty to notify state, but ONLY if you are actually carrying a weapon.  You do not have to show your CHL if you are unarmed.  You may have not meant to insinuate it that way, but just in case someone else who doesn't know better reads this I wanted to clarify.

jdq1986 said:
It is true that in Texas your CHL is not tied to your license plate directly.  However, it IS tied directly to your driver's license, which is available under the vehicle owner's information able to be obtained by running the plates.  So in a round about way, yes they can figure out you have a CHL by your plates.
I have a feeling cops know more about the car and registered owner than they like to admit when they pull you over.
the answers you give to their questions tell them more than what they already know.

side note.....many LEO agencies are using the new "license plate recognition camera systems" on the tops of the patrol vehicles.

it's spots stolen vehicles in a split second as the cars just drive by,........so.... in theory, that camera system (and other cameras) could also be used to track people based on vehicle registrations.

try parking in an airport without a front license plate here in CA. While parked you will get a visit from the police and a ticket for no front plate.

big brother is alive and watching you.......9/11 changed everything.

Be careful in Md.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/?page=all

I'm not sure how they get around the Fourth Amendment, doing warrantless searches and seizures on motor vehicles, for firearms which are not in plain sight.

rebelsun said:
Be careful in Md.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/?page=all

I'm not sure how they get around the Fourth Amendment, doing warrantless searches and seizures on motor vehicles, for firearms which are not in plain sight.

It looks like in both cases they were pulled over for speeding.  Other things they may pull you over for are lights and loose items on your vehicle; such as bikes tied to the ladder that the officer thinks may fall off, or muffler bracket broken with the muffler hanging down. 

The other actor in the article was carrying the gun and ammo in the same locked container.  Federal, and state law clearly state the gun must be locked in a separate container from the ammo.

It is necessary for those of us that recognize a need to keep our family safe, to write our representatives in support of a national concealed carry permit.  Especially for those that spend a majority of their time on the road.  Such as salesman, RV'rs, and truck drivers.  There have been a number of truck drivers killed parking near a shipper or receiver.  I've not heard of many RV'rs robbed and shot, one would think they carry more cash than truck drivers, so I believe this is a lesson as to where to park.  Industrial areas are not as safe as most other areas.  Rest Areas on the highway have seen many shot and killed though, that's why many states are either shutting them down or providing security.  But we should be able to afford ourselves to the choice to either carry to protect ourselves, or be content to rely on the cops to draw a good chalk line around us and each of our family members. 

PLEASE, take the time, write and call your representatives.  Make sure they know you support, and expect them to support, a national concealed carry license to end this madness.

Enter your zip here to contact your congress person;  http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

You have two Senators, here's a link to write them;  http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm  Write and call both.

I've heard it said one letter is worth the voice from over 5,000 constituents, as most people just complain to people that have no power to make the changes.  Very few actually take positive action to write a letter and make a phone call. 

Contact your senators !!??

That's a total waste of time for me....I live in California and my senators are Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein.

They will never change their minds about the gun control laws and odds are they (or ones just like them ) will always be re-elected.

coming soon  .... governor Moonbeam will sign a law making all law abiding Californians will surrender their guns, and drive a Prius.

TonyDtorch said:
Contact your senators !!??

That's a total waste of time for me....I live in California and my senators are Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein.

They will never change their minds about the gun control laws and odds are they (or ones just like them ) will always be re-elected.

coming soon  .... governor Moonbeam will sign a law making all law abiding Californians will surrender their guns, and drive a Prius.

But if you, and people like you don't call, all they here from left wingnuts.  We'll never get our country back if we "assume" our call/letter doesn't mean anything.

Back
Top Bottom