Please tell me about Flying J.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cuts_up said:
John in Detroit:  If your wife had wined more, she might not have noticed the slides weren't out.  ;D  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;D

Good point, alas she is a tea-totaller in that respect and I'm a coffee-holic

Flying J  Yes we stayed in the Flying  J south of St.Louis on 44 in the snow storm end of Nov.....It was a 6 day visit and all went well propane food good coffee not a bad thing happened but I did not expect any ...Bill McClary

Not all flying-j's have rv facilities (Special parking, Dump stations or special islands)

Most do, you can stop into any Flying J  or go to www.flyingj.com (I meant for this to be non clickable) and download a PDF of their locations handout.

They also have a tendency to be the best price on gas before you apply discounts, and if you apply for their RVers card (free) you get at least a penny a gallon off

cuts_up said:
John in Detroit:  If your wife had wined more, she might not have noticed the slides weren't out.  ;D  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;D

LOL, cuts-up!! Very good, very good.

Regards,
Liz

Not all Flying J's are equal.  Pick up a location map at any flying j for all their locations and additional information.  Handy while traveling.  Same information is available in their website.  I have never seen dedicated rv parking.  I thought it was for large vehicles.  We like to park a long the curb when available, to put out the bedroom slide.

Apply for the RV card online at their web site, and you'll receive it faster.  Use it for everything you purchase at a flying j.  We got $3.00 off dinner last week.

Be curious when fueling.  If you have to pay inside, pull out of the island, and find a parking space, and than go in and pay. 

We have never been bothered by truck noise or shady people.  I feel safer in a flying j, than in other public places.  Remember,  they might be public places, but they are private property. 

Barb
WHR Casa Grande, AZ

That and the fact that they are lite up like a Xmas tree 24/7 with people moving constantly with people supposedly watching from inside and many have cameras.  True not all have  parking for overnight, but those are usually the ones that FJ have purchased in the last year and half and usually in the city area.  Most of the Js are huge.  Been staying in them for years. Forget love's  they plain ole Suck for an RV stop./  I even got a discount when I left my wife at the Flying J  LOL

Shayne...tell me more about losing the wife. I got one to get rid of.

Frank

Shayne is an expert at losing his wife. He learned the hard way when it didn't work first time around. Says he won't make that mistake again.

The relatively new FJ south of Barstow, CA on I-15 is a no-no. Or at least it was when we were there last week. 18 wheelers were lined up just to get on the side road in order to go around to the rear of the fuel lines. Incredibly busy.

However, across the street in front of the FJ (NOT across I-15) was a service station with the right side marked "motor homes" @ the diesel pumps.  AND they had potable water and a dump site with free air, and windshield cleaning equipment. Very easy in and out with 40' DP and towed.

On that day diesel was cheaper than regular unleaded ($2.72). (less than FJ).

29er.

We filled up at the Barstow FJ about 2 weeks ago and there was no waiting at the truck islands.  If they had been backed up we would have gone elsewhere as the RV islands were very busy.  We were in and out of the truck island before any RV cleared the RV islands.  We paid $2.74/gal. net with a credit card.  I would guess the $2.72/gal. price was cash.

How busy a given fuel stop is depends on the time of day, day of week, etc.  We were there on a Saturday about mid-morning.

Other, perhaps, better, maybe.  We had no interest in overnighting at the FJ and the truck islands were not busy.  With the Frequent Fueler card, we get the cash price with a credit card and a $.01/gal. discount too.  This almost always makes FJ cheaper than any other fuel stop in the area.  If you don't use the FJ card and don't care about paying with cash, then your stop was OK too.  If FJ had been really busy we might have gone there as well, or over to the Pilot.

I can believe that Pilot was busier than FJ.  The construction at that interchange made getting to the FJ somewhat complicated.  They've been working on that interchange for years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom