Tow package set up for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanhui

I am in the process of putting the parts of a towing package for my Brave. Currently considering a 2002 Jeep GC as a toad. It has two "hooks" (newbie's technical term) showing under the front bumper.

After spending hours going over past posts on this forum, I am considering a Blue Ox (BX) tow bar such as the Acclaim (spec'ed for 5000 lb), BX base plate for GC, BX bulb and socket tail light wiring kit and the Brake Buddy (BB) Vantage Select.

Despite this list, I am not confident that I have all the necessary pieces to install them.

First off, I found locally a used BX Acclaim for $350, which includes cover and safety cables. Can the experienced ones on this forum confirm that Acclaim is adequate for my use? I am assuming that Acclaim will work with other base plates in case I cannot get this Jeep GC.

I have limited auto mechanical tools other than a set of socket wrenches. Is heavy drilling and cutting needed to install the base plate on a Jeep GC? Is it better to have a pro do this for safety?

How important is it for me to connect 12v power from the coach to the toad? I have read that BB does not take much power if set on Level 4 (emergency braking.) Is this a good practice? If so, can the BB be powered through the Jeep's cig socket?  If coach power to toad is essential, how do I ascertain that the existing coach has the proper outlet? 6 pin etc? I found the BX 6-wire coiled cable on Amazon. is this the way to go?

I also read that the Acclaim coupler needs to be level and the tow bar need a rise of 7" from the toad to the coach. Not exactly sure how all this play out with my parts list. Any other key factors that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I had a 2004 GC from 2005 - 2012 that I used with a BB and never needed any additional 12v hookup from the MH.  I had a Roadmaster base plate and tow bar, so can't comment on the BX items.  The Roadmaster baseplate was easy to install, I needed to remove the tow hooks when installing the baseplate.  Dick nvrver

The BX tow bars will work with any BX base plate, regardless of the vehicle model or year. The BX brand base plates are all designed to connect to BX tow bars. There are also adapters available to mate a Roadmaster tow bar to a BX base late, or vice versa.

It's common that drilling bolt holes in the frame is required. Other than that, just basic hand tools.

Here are some preliminary instructions from BX: http://blueox.com/t-BaseplateInstallation.aspx

You can view the details and full instructions for a 2002 Grand Cherokee here:
http://blueox.com/bx-r-BaseplateProducts.aspx?ProductId=1055

If you get a different vehicle, look up the base plate on the BX website to find similar info on that one.

Back
Top Bottom