Purchase a 1996 Dolphin M-534 Widebody?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fyrmnk

Hi all, I'm searching for our first MH and have come upon a 2nd owner 1996 Dolphin M-534 Widebody. It looks very clean and seems to have a great deal of upper end options.

As far as particulars, it has 47000 miles, 539 hours on 5.5KW Generac generator, 460 Ford fuel injected, transmission cooler, and double roof. It is selling for $28000.

Does anyone know of any inherent problems with this particular model? I would be towing a 3500lb. boat with it.

A search turned up some positives on National products, but wasn't sure for this one and this year.

Thanks!

//you should be quite happy with that unit.  Good engine  and tranny.  I have no expeirence with Generac gensets.  I always have had Onans,  the hrs  don't matter if it was taken care of.  Better to have hrs on it than not hardly being used.  Your tow will hardly be felt.  I might suggest, and this is only my preferance, switch to Mobile One oil, lube it and then enjoy the heck out of it.

Check a price guide as the price seems a little high to me for that coach.  I had a '94 seaBreeze on Ford chassis and it was a good performer.  If you get it be sure to check the tire ages and also you may, I recommend, installing a header and exhaust system as well as a Banks transcommand module for the transmission. 

We towed a Honda Accord and later a Saturn with the SB and had no problems although it was a little slow on the hills.

We liked the SB a lot but ran up the miles and it was too small for long, multi-month trips.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the replies. The front tires are new with 100 miles on them. I've been watching it for a couple months. Was at $37,500, then reduced to $29,500, and he said he would take $28000. I saw on NADA that it might be a bit high, but hard to tell for me without knowing for sure what all was standard and what items in this are add on options.

I was actually hoping to negotiate to $25K or below just to be on the safe side. Would that be more in line with this unit?

I had been originally looking for a DP, but then started hearing a lot of good reasons to go gas. I'm fine with that as long as the power is sufficient. I would also look at the Banks system since I heard so many good things about that.

Thanks again, this forum is great, keep the feedback coming. Below are the features listed for the unit if this spawns any additional input.

Features:
Sleeps 6 with walk-around queen bed in rear (See Floor Plan and Photos)
Ford 460 CID-7.5 Liter V-8 Fuel Injected Gasoline Engine with oil cooler
Automatic Overdrive Transmission with cooler
Tilt Steering Wheel
Cruise Control
Auxiliary Start System and almost new 130 Amp Alternator
Four LT 235/85 R16 Michelin Rear Tires
One LT 235/85 R16 Michelin Spare Tire
Two new 235/85 R16 Power King Front Tires (Less than 100 miles on these)
5.5 kilowatt Generac Generator
Audiovox rear back-up camera
Milwaukee 4 leg manual hydraulic leveling system
10 Disc CD changer
AM/FM Cassette radio
Philips VCR in front with switch to play in rear
17 “ Color TV in front with rotating TV Antenna
13” Color TV/ VCR combo with separate DVD player in rear
GE Microwave/Convection Oven
Three burner propane range top with two speed vent
Corian Counter top and Corian range cover and Oak Cabinets
Porcelain Toilet W/Spray hose
Power entry step
Dual roof AC units for vented Central Air
35,000 BTU Ducted LP Furnace
6.2 gallon 8800 BTU LP Water Heater with bypass
Outside Shower
Separate Gray and Black water tanks with San-T- Flush on Black Tank
19 Foot A & E Awning
8 Cu. Ft. Dometic LP-Gas/ Electric Refrigerator/Freezer
Dual Adjustable Sunvisors (These are really great to have!)
Remote Power Heated Mirrors
Solar Battery Charger
Two Auxiliary 6 V House Batteries
Oak Plank Floor in Galley
Attic Fan (Fantastic Temperature Controlled)
Stainless Steel Wheel Liners
6 Way Power Driver Seat
Extra Wide Co-Pilot Seat
Deluxe Highline Carpet and Pad Throughout
Pleated Day-Night Shades in Lounge Area
Full Panoramic Wrap-Around Tinted Windshield
Panographic Windshield Wipers w/Intermittent
Double Roof (Rubber Roof over one-piece Laminated and Steel Reinforced Sub-Roof
3 Point Seat Belts
Dust Buster
Telephone Jack
Hair Dryer
Sofa Bed
Cable TV Connection
Lighted and Insulated Cargo Bins
Radius Entry Door
120V/12V Power Converter with Charger
Steel Roll Cage Construction w/Steel Structure in Floor, Sidewall and Celing
Laminated Sidewalls with Solid Block Foam
Two Dash Fans
Class 3 Trailer Hitch with Electric Brake
Drink Tray
Roof Rack and Ladder
Insulation and Gel Coat Fiberglass Exterior Skin
Shurflo water pump
24 Gallon LP Tank
75 Gallon Fuel Tank
100 Gallon Freshwater tank

Tip of advise  Dump the Power Kings  Had terrible luck with them and also dealer and company.  Their Warranty sucks as for as I'm concerned.  Make them replace them with matching michelins and offer them 22  you can always come up but once you start higher they won't go lower.  Never know it's worth a try.  Worst they can do is say NO.  Just dont be too eager. Maybe you can buy for what you desire to pay then.  Make sure everything works and they go over everything for and with you.  Any Qs ask them and get everything in writing before you sign on the dotted line. Can't imphasize enough get it on paper before you sign. Later is too late.  As for the Banks Pak  that's an individual taste, personally I love it.

I've been watching it for a couple months. Was at $37,500, then reduced to $29,500, and he said he would take $28000. I saw on NADA that it might be a bit high, but hard to tell for me without knowing for sure what all was standard and what items in this are add on options.

I was actually hoping to negotiate to $25K or below just to be on the safe side. Would that be more in line with this unit?

Do not pay over the NADA retail book value, regardless of options. The "value" of the options listed in NADA is mostly fictional - they make no difference at all in the going prices. Especially in a private sale, where prices are generally well under NADA (5-15% under).  A particularly nice rig with a lot of options might bring close to the book base value, but typically not. That's because a dealer buying the rig from the owner would pay only low NADA wholesale (if he would buy it at all, which is doubtful these days), which is perhaps 50-60% of the retail book.  So it's really a buyer's market - your only concern is that someone else may also be negotiating for the same rig.  But people's tatses differ so widely, and ther are so many RVs for sale, that the risk of that is low. 

So, make an offer you feel is fair and stick with it. 

>>I was actually hoping to negotiate to $25K or below just to be on the safe side. Would that be more in line with this unit?<<

Go to the library or purchase a Dealers Nada book online....Don't pay more than wholesale.

Allow me to revise my offer price suggestion.  Start at 17500 and go from there  The Low price is 19500 and and the high is 22500  Not worthy what he's asking.

Hi all, just a follow up, still working on this and now are down in the $18K range. Anyone else have any input good or bad on this unit. Thanks alot for all the help.

Sounds as if you are in the ball park, now time for serious negociations.

Back
Top Bottom