Surge Protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balajiramarao

Please help me with the following question.

How important is it to have a surge protector or power conditioner for your RV (fifth wheel in my case).  Ours is a 50A unit, and it appears that there are many types and models out there for these surge guards, protectors, detectors, switches, regulators, etc.

What would you recommend?  Which is the simplest and best combination option?  How reliable are the power supplies at the power pedestals in the higher rated RV parks?

Thanks in advance.

Power in RV parks is generally pretty good, but it only takes one miswired or damaged outlet to cause major problems with your electrical system.  For 50A service, many of us use this product but Progressive Industries has other models just as suitable.  The advantage of the hard wired model is you won't forget to use it and the remote display is useful for energy management.

If you have a newer model RV with flat screen TV, microwave, DVD player, satellite, laptops, etc then a surge protector is cheap insurance. I bought one of the plug-in type but then modified my power cable so I can plug the surge protector in inside my electrical compartment instead of having it hanging out on the power post.

It is one of the best things you can buy for your FW.  I have a Progressive and works very well. 

Ditto.

I lost an LCD TV to a power surge.  I was lucky that it didn't take out anything else.

Even with a surge protector I usually keep the TV & home theater system unplugged until I'm sure the site power is OK.

I have a 5vr with 50 amp service and a truck camper (TC) with 30 amp service. If I purchased one of the portable 50 amp surge protectors, can I use it also on my truck camper with the appropriate adapter or would I also have to have a 30 amp protector for my TC? 

Thanks for your advice.  I just ordered a Technology Research Corp 50A Surge Guard that is the pigtail variety. Reviews have it at 5*.  I like the other ideas of a permanent hook up.  Will definitely think about that once we have some experience RV'ing under our belly.

Thanks very much.

First there are basically two types and one recommended unit
The two types can be easily distinguished by the presence or absence of an alpha/numeric display.  The good ones have it, these are surge guards and will protect against over/under voltage.  The ones with only LED's are spike suppressors, they help but do nothing for low voltage,  and if a sustained surge comes along. They sound a bit like firecrackers (Been there).

Of the ones with an Alpha Numeric display the Progressive Industries xxxxx 50C is the best.

How important?  Well.. I have heard of many many cases where someone plugged into a 30 amp outlet, using an adapter if it was a 50 amp rig, and fried all their electronics... You see, it was not an RV outlet, it was a machinery outlet (Air Compressor, Dryer, Welder, that kind of thing) 240 volt.  Plus a brief interupttion in power just off/on is very very very very very hard on compressors (like in an air conditioner) and the surge when it comes back is hard on everything.

The  50C be it hard wired or portable.... Shuts off power for 2-3 minutes, giving the compressors to bleed down and blocking that surge when power returns 

Finally, I mentioned low voltage above, this too is hard on compressors.  And some other stuff as well.

The Progressive Industries unit Ned referred to is a excellent unit, I have one in our 5th wheeler and would not be without as it offers so much protection and information about your power. :)

How difficult is this to install.  Been thinking about something like this at the box but never new they had ones you could hard wire in.  For us looking at the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System - Hardwire 30A w Digital Remote Display.

I have a 5vr with 50 amp service and a truck camper (TC) with 30 amp service. If I purchased one of the portable 50 amp surge protectors, can I use it also on my truck camper with the appropriate adapter or would I also have to have a 30 amp protector for my TC?
Yes. The 50A unit works with any power source, even 15A.

I have the Surge Guard model #40250 hardwired unit with remote that monitors power continuously as well has clamping surges. The equivalent Progressive unit is excellent too - take your pick.

Installation is simple wiring, but sometimes finding a place for it and getting it into the spot is challenging. Likewise for the remote display. It's basically just connecting the existing 4-wire shore power cord to the unit and then splicing in another 4-wire cable between the unit and wherever your shore cord previously connected. The wire for the remote display is thin, similar to phone or LAN cable, so usually not too difficult to route to wherever you place the display. Each situation is different, though.

Whether you NEED one is harder to say. Newer parks, and well-maintained parks, generally have good quality power and properly wired outlets. Older parks, or those that have neglected maintenance (or had it done by unskilled help) sometimes have miswired outlets, broken/corroded connectors, or low voltage and any of those can cause problems. The powerline monitor is insurance against that eventuality.  Like any form of insurance, it's just an extra cost until the day comes when you need it.

Elkhounds said:
How difficult is this to install.  Been thinking about something like this at the box but never new they had ones you could hard wire in.  For us looking at the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System - Hardwire 30A w Digital Remote Display.

I did not find it that hard to wire in.  However, I have done handyman wiring around my house for years. I have the same unit you are looking at.  The space/location of your main power box could be the hardest part to deal with.  Do some searches on line about this unit and you can even find a youtube video of an install by a customer.  I am happy with mine and consider it a type of "insurance policy" for my electrical.

I've pretty much convinced myself to bite the bullet and get the hardwired 50 Amp unit with the remote. The only question I have is the blue jumper wire. If I need to use this, is it mounted internally and what does it take to use it. Does the cover need to be removed to gain access? Where I'm going to mount the unit in my 5vr will be very hard to get to so I was thinking about running that wire outside the box to a switch which would be mounted someplace with somewhat easy access. I would probably have to reach over a wall in my basement storage compartment to get to that switch. This wall will have to be removed to install the protector which will be a PITA so I only want to do it for the initial installation.

Ned said:
What is the blue jumper?

Apparently, you can bypass the protector if the computer board died which allowed you to continue to have power but no protection.

Update: I guess I read the operating manual wrong. I just realized the system can be bypassed by a switch on the remote.  Sorry for the confusion.  :(

I don't see any reference to that in any of my documentation.  What document shows that?  I can turn the power protection off from the remote panel, but that requires the control board to be working.  A control board failure has to be pretty low probability, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Ned said:
I don't see any reference to that in any of my documentation.  What document shows that?  I can turn the power protection off from the remote panel, but that requires the control board to be working.  A control board failure has to be pretty low probability, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Ned,
I knew I read it someplace. Go to MAKARIOS RV's Web Site.
http://www.makariosrv.com/progressive-electrical-management-system-hardwire-50a-240v-ems-hw50c/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&gclid=CKLo4KGl38ICFcXm7AodgH8A9g

Scroll down and you'll see this:

Bypass Switch:

Enclosed blue jumper wire allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing source power into the RV.  This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS.

Rene, thanks, found it.  That's not described in the manufacturer's documentation.  The jumper does the same thing as turning off the remote monitor.

Ned said:
Rene, thanks, found it.  That's not described in the manufacturer's documentation.  The jumper does the same thing as turning off the remote monitor.

So I guess that means there is no need to open up the cover to make a change just turn it off at the remote and this will bypass the protector in case of board failure. Is that right Ned?.

Back
Top Bottom