Guns, I know a beat to death topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldme said:
1- Obtaining proper instruction

2- Make "The Decision" before it is time.

What is "The Decision"?

If you can not decide, you will be the victim due to indecision.

If you can not do this, Do Not get a firearm for protection.
I totally agree with the above.  If you can't pull the trigger you will become a victim.  In the Army I knew several who couldn't or wouldn't fire.  Their names are on the wall in DC.  Talking about self defense is easy - doing it, not so much.

I wouldn't have a problem pulling the trigger, and you know that fact bothers me. 

I would rather be alive to defend my actions than trying to understand why "Taps" is being played at my or a member of my family's funeral. I carry every day including at the nearby Air Force Base. Especially now that my fellow officers are being killed just because of being associated with law enforcement. Yes, I can pull the trigger if necessary.

Cheers

PatrioticStabilist said:
I wouldn't have a problem pulling the trigger, and you know that fact bothers me.

From personal experience.

I would not let that "fact" bother you.
It means that you have enough self-confidence and love of
those close to you, to do what is needed.

What bothered me and my family, was after I was forced
to follow through on "The Decision", were comments to my wife
from her co-workers, that apparently would never protect even
their child. Naturally they did not want to discuss it with me.
Of course the media that wanted to be camped
out for a while was a P.I.A. That too passed.

If you do make "The Decision", seek good training and become
proficient. In times of stress you will do what you are trained to do,
without even have to think about it.

I wish you the best.

For those that chose not to make "The Decision", please do NOT
buy a firearm for protection. You will only endanger yourself and
others.

At a Roll Call Inspection one day a fellow Officer was found
to be carrying an empty firearm. He admitted he could not make
"The Decision" however he wanted to work in the community.
He became a dispatcher. Worked out well for all.

Much of my training has focused on staying alert and getting oneself out of dangerous situations without the use of the weapon.  It also stresses the importance of being called a coward and not having to use a gun, rather than being a tough guy with tens of thousands of dollars in legal bills.  If you get involved in a confrontation where you did anything to escalate it, such as the one finger salute, and you use a gun, the chances are that you will serve some time.  If you carry a gun, whether you are in traffic or in person to person situations, you always need to take the conciliatory tone.  Nothing is personal, they probably don't even know you, so let it go and get away.  As long as one is okay with all that, I say a gun is a good choice for protection.  Hot heads shouldn't carry a gun.

In my MH, if someone were to break in while I'm in bed, the plan is to use the door to the bedroom as the target.  If they take my laptop with all my data on it, that would be life changing, but not life ending.  If they don't open the door, all I have to do is fill out a police report stating someone broke in and stole "stuff."  If they open the door, the first shot is from the shot gun, so I will still have to fill out a lot of paperwork, repairs, cleaning, and legal bills for the, but still live for another day. 

If one doesn't need to get out, and can stop and do all their business in the MH, that lowers the risk.  I don't know of a situation at a rest area where someone broke into a MH and robbed and killed the occupants, but I know of many situations that they got them to open the door, or while they were in the Rest Room, they were attacked and/or killed.  That's why many states are closing rest areas.

In my S&B with many rooms, if I'm home alone, I again would focus the weapon on the "fatal funnel" (the doorway) and call 911.  Let the cops clear the house for me, they will be informed of my location, and the full situation.  The only reason one should try to clear their own house, is if a loved one is in the house and they need to secure them.  Even in that case, once everyone is in place, focus on the fatal funnel, and wait for the police to clear the house.  The "stuff" is not worth the life of myself or loved ones.  At the end of the day, the goal is to be alive.  If I fire the weapon, there will be a legal bill, if the cops fire their weapon, it is likely that my legal bills will be minor if at all.

As long as one obtains the proper training, is just looking to protect themselves and their family, and is smart about their protection strategy, it is my belief that a gun is a wise choice.  With the drugs the perps are taking today, even bear spray or a stun gun may not protect you, and the cops won't be in time to protect you, they'll be just in time to draw the chalk line around where you were killed.  Have a security plan in place!  It's wise to consider the cost of both decisions, either to carry, or not to carry.  It's wonderful that in most of our country, we are still free to choose. 

I have a shotgun under my bed.  My husband works away all the time.  I thought this was a totally safe place.  A few months after we moved back within less then 6 miles of here an elderly man was robbed and killed.  They think he
walked in on the robbery.  It's been about a year and a half and there is a reward out that is being added to and they still
haven't found who did it.  I know a few women that carry around here that live alone.  One I talked to is scared but then she works in a bank.

Believe me they have followed many many leads.  We have heard rumors of who they think did it.  If that is true they live very close to us.  This is rural safe Americana that has been invaded by meth.  Most of us here don't lock our doors, well at night we do of course, that's not smart leaving them unlocked then and its still safer then most anywhere.  Also people are observant.  The man killed lived in an isolated area with no neighbors.  Where I live they know if you have visitors.  I was told by someone one day, oh I saw you in the garage cutting your daughters hair.  Well that's odd since the garage is at an angle to the road, so they don't miss anything here.  Where I live is about as safe as you can get.

But yep, shot somebody and like I said before, I worry more about the lawsuits and everything to go with it by the guilty persons family.  That probably scares me more.

Hi Carolyn and all,

I believe that the NRA sells insurance that protects you if you have to use a gun to protect yourself or family. It usually costs about $10K to $15K and on up if someone makes an issue out of the criminal being shot while threating you (if they are still alive).

While I agree that chances are low of anything ever happening, you might have wished that you had the protection if you are alive to think. I would guess that criminals seeing a women by herself might possibly up the chances of them trying something.

It looks like you are being careful by watching out where you stay. As was said, gut feeling can't be ignored.

I have a CCW and I carry on occasion, depending on where we are going. There is no question that I would bust a cap on any person who is willing to threaten my family or myself. Having said that, in all of the years that I have lawfully carried a weapon more than 40 years) I have never had cause to pull it out. I have had cause to be extremely vigilant and have a plan to pull my weapon, but I have a policy of retreat before engagement. I will back away from a potential threat without any threat to my masculinity whatsoever.

Being situationally aware as others have mentioned is paramount to one's safety. Being able to plan a path of retreat is also a viable plan to saving one's and perhaps a foolish person's life. In fact if you have a way out and do not take it...that in and of itself can make a person culpable in a criminal charge.

Being a responsible gun owner does not mean we have to engage a perpetrator unless we are forced to do so. If a person breaks into my home while I am in the home, or breaks into my coach if I am in the coach then it is Katy bar the door...and I will take whatever action necessary to stop the threat, and hopefully I will win the engagement. If a nut job engages me on the road or in a public environment I will seek an out before engagement every time.

I hope and pray I never have to take another life, under any circumstances.

Molaker said:
I guess my recommendation would be to just avoid areas where you feel uncomfortable.  Memphis can be a stink hole, all right, at least in certain parts of the city.  But, I lived there (in midtown) for several years and somehow managed to survive without a personal arsenal.  Probably my biggest problem these days with Memphis is the lack of decent camping facilities for the "just passing through" travelers.  Consequently, I try to make my overnight stays well before and after.  All that said, I doubt Memphis is any more dangerous for travelers than Houston (lived there, too).

We found this place in suburban Memphis to be okay for a stopover. Actually, coming home from Texas last March we stayed 3 or 4 days here.

I don't have a CCW but I do carry a 38 Special in the coach, usually next to the bed.  When we are traveling it is usually to places we have never been so I have no idea as to the safety or danger of the area. But I do know that if you call 911 the police will respond in 5 minutes but Smith & Wesson responds in one second.

But I do have a question.  Next summer we will be visiting our daughter in Canada and I don't want to carry the pistol across the border (because it is illegal to do so) but I do want to have it available for the other 20 days of the trip in the US.  What would be a good way to store the gun before crossing the border and then pick it up again just after recrossing the border?

Try contacting a gun shop in the area of the border in the US and see if they'll store it for you. There may be a fee for that service.

camperAL said:
Hi Carolyn and all,

I believe that the NRA sells insurance that protects you if you have to use a gun to protect yourself or family. It usually costs about $10K to $15K and on up if someone makes an issue out of the criminal being shot while threating you (if they are still alive).

This program doesn't cover every state, but costs less than $170 a year.

https://www.texaslawshield.com/protection-for-firearms-owners/

The first year I believe there is a set up fee, they may do a background check on you or something, the ongoing cost is under $170 a year for the multi-state program..  Insurance programs don't want to insure everyone, just the ones they believe have the best chance of never having a claim.

But they are also good for questions, training, and other information about carrying a weapon for self defense.

The NRA program is blanket self defense Insurance, that you have to seek out and pay for your own defense first, then if you meet all their policy requirements, they will reimburse you for your legal costs, up to their limit.  Cost of the policy depends on how much coverage you buy.  But the premiums go from $165 - $600 a year.
http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/defense.htm

Bill N said:
I don't have a CCW but I do carry a 38 Special in the coach, usually next to the bed.  When we are traveling it is usually to places we have never been so I have no idea as to the safety or danger of the area. But I do know that if you call 911 the police will respond in 5 minutes but Smith & Wesson responds in one second.

But I do have a question.  Next summer we will be visiting our daughter in Canada and I don't want to carry the pistol across the border (because it is illegal to do so) but I do want to have it available for the other 20 days of the trip in the US.  What would be a good way to store the gun before crossing the border and then pick it up again just after recrossing the border?

When I went to Alaska I have a friend in Kalispell MT and left it with him, make sure you remove all ammo as well....they will ask and could check. I had arranged for a gun shop to hold the gun for me, but then decided it was better with my friend....

You can search before hand in towns where you intend to border cross and contact them in advance and then just drop it off...they wanted proof of ownership, so make sure you ask about any details they may want.

Good Luck,

Jim

Wigpro said:
You can search before hand in towns where you intend to border cross and contact them in advance and then just drop it off...they wanted proof of ownership, so make sure you ask about any details they may want.

Thanks Jim.  I have about a 65 mile stretch of I-69 between Flint and Port Huron that I will be traveling both ways on going in and out of Canada so I have been searching for gun shops in that area and it appears there are several, mainly in the Lapeer area.  My next job is to find one that I can approach with a 35' motorhome and toad and have room to manuever in their or a close by parking lot.  I may just unhook the toad and make a trip to Tim Horton's also in Lapeer for a good cup of java.  That's where Google Earth comes in but I am sure I can find a good temporary home for it. I just bought it last year from Bass Pro so I do have a record of ownership.

Williams Gunsight is in Davison, just east of Flint. You can drop it off there for a new set of sights and pick it back up on your way back through.

All ours were inherited from my dad and Tom's dad, except our sons so its the only one registered and the only one with record of ownership.  I am not registering our guns, actually I don't even own any, so there!.

I come from a very long line of female gun owners.  One of my favorite photos is a picture of my 4' 11" grandmother holding a gun that looks almost as long as she is tall.  Thankfully things are different today and not all guns are designed just for men. 

On the topic of handguns a lot has been said about the importance of situational awareness, having a self defense mindset, and gun training but I believe using a properly fitted handgun is also important.  A gun that doesn't fit right is going to be difficult to use.  A gun that is difficult to use or that I have to fumble around with can be dangerous.

DH and I are on the same page when it comes to selecting the guns I use.  I take a very active part in the selection.  The gun store I prefer to deal with has a gun range so that I can actually try out a variety of guns to see which one feels the best.  I also like this gun store because they have women on staff and the men all seem to have wives or girlfriends who own guns so they are experienced in fitting women for guns.  If cost is an issue DH is willing to trade in some of his old military guns that are collecting dust and going down in value for guns that are better suited for us. 

I have no horse (opinion) in this race; however, I would like to compliment everyone who has participated in this discussion for keeping it informative and respectful of each others' views. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom