Guns, I know a beat to death topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PatrioticStabilist said:
Texas did require classroom instruction, we also went to the shooting range and had to qualify with the gun you intended
to use.  I can't remember the number of hours now but it was over 2 days. They did a background check and fingerprinting too  At least you had instruction on safe gun practices, it was worthwhile.

I was shocked, here in Indiana I submitted my fingerprints, they did a background check and I got a LIFETIME, did you get that, a lifetime permit without training or anything.  To me that is crazy.
Texas still requires all of those elements for a Concealed Carry License. The classroom training part has been reduced to 4 to 6 hours from the 10 originally required. They have also dropped training requirement for renewals.
I have no problem with a lifetime license as apparently issued in Indiana. What real purpose does renewing every five years serve?
Bob

grassy said:
Tim Horton's Coffee good ?  Don't think so..convenient, yes but not good... yikes...

You must not be Canadian.  Neither am I but one of the few reasons I would cross the border is to get a cup of Tim Hortons.  As for Starbucks - you can have it (sorry you just sound like a Starbucks fancier).

RoyM said:
. How many can claim to know of an legitimate case where having a firearm in an rv or any other vehicle actually prevented what could have been further loss of life? 

You don't seem to understand Roy.  I am trying to PREVENT a legitimate case of preventing further loss of life - MINE. 

Bill

Bill N said:
You must not be Canadian.  Neither am I but one of the few reasons I would cross the border is to get a cup of Tim Hortons.  As for Starbucks - you can have it (sorry you just sound like a Starbucks fancier).

Actually, I am....but Tim Horton's is an American owned company ...since the mid 90's...as I said, it is convenient but not good.

We used to do the MX circuit and everywhere we went, a Tim's out was present. I stopped drinking their coffee by that time so I had their tea with 2 cream..my wife drank their coffee with two milk. over 50% of the time...and we stopped going through the drive through.. I would get milk with my tea and Carol would get a double cream / double sugar.

They also has some the the dirtiest washrooms I have ever been in..

No, I was introduced to good coffee sold in smaller coffee shops and have never been able to go back..

I don't like Starbuck's either :)

No offense but the Green Mountain stuff is swill too...

Ian.

I should add that one of our joys in traveling is seeking out and finding the best coffee in an area. Excluding our K cup usage, we go through 4 KG of beans a month. We have an industrial 1/2 hp grinder and commercial coffeemaker..

Tim's was bought by Bill Thomas of Wendy's & KFC fame in the 90's, but is was split out and went public about 10 years later.  Last month it was bought by the owner's of Burger King and their headquarters were moved to Canada.  So, it is either a Canadian company by virtue of where their head office is located, or Brazilian which is where the company that bought their shares is located.

Ed

Ed,

No...just because the h/o is in Canada, it doesn't make it Canadian or did Burger King just become Canadian.. ?

Regardless, it is not a Canadian owned company and I really dislike how it wraps itself in the Canadian flag...

And..their dark roast is even grosser than their normal brew..

Ian.

You know Tim Horton's claim that their coffee never sits more that 20 minutes ..it is a big claim for them...  I used to work at a school that had a journalism courses and a news department. Some of their pieces ended up in the provincial news paper as well as a kids science show.

On topic they went after was precisely the Tim's claim....so they took really great vid cameras out and focused them on the Tim's coffee pots.. guess what the franchises weren't doing ?

Tim's was bought by Bill Thomas of Wendy's ...

I assume that should be Dave Thomas  ??? They called it a merger, but we know that M & A's get rolled into the same pot.

Thanks for the correction Tom, I often have phat fingers, but this was just a big oops.  You are correct, it was Wendy's dad who bought the Tim Horton't chain from a former Nova Scotian, who used the proceeds to build an amazing golf course ( amongst other things) and move home.

Ed

It was my son-in-law who introduced me to Tim Horton's on our first trip to Canada about 15 years ago.  He asked me if I wanted a coffee and swung into this coffee shop named Tim Hortons in St.Thomas, Ontario.  He just ordered "two double doubles" which I now know is double sugar and double cream but it tasted great to me.  Then the SIL gave me the low down on Hortons explaining that Tim Horton was a famous Canadian hockey player who started the chain and they (the stores) reproduced like rabbits.  The little town where we were had 5 of them.  Anyway, we liked it (knocked it down to a single/single) and looked forward to our Canadian trips after that.  Kept hoping Hortons would come to the US and found one in Lapeer, Mi a few years ago.  Now I see there is one in Grand Forks, ND and probably more than that in the northern states.  By the way, I can tell you exactly how many coffee beans I have ground up in my 75 years - none.  But I realize that some folks become connoisseurs of things they like and sure don't criticize them for that.  I also have to admit that I really like McDonalds coffee, that is when it is cool enough to drink.  Spilled one cup on me a few years back and it took a couple of months for the skin to return to normal color.  Now, how can I tie this in to guns????

Bill N said:
Now, how can I tie this in to guns????

I too like the coffee from McDonald's ...even though they still haven't got the consistency from one outlet to another..a lot of Tim's customers are making the switch..

Coffee is a more "North American " topic than guns which seems from us up north, to be somewhat of an obsession south of us..

Many (from one group that I participate) of my American friends are storing ammo..one has over 300K rounds in multiple caliber ..... Me, even though I was a marksman,  would rather put that money into my kids and of course coffee...

It is funny have many conversations talk about putting washer / dryers in their rigs, I have had the same conversation about having a professional cappuccino machine installed :)

Ian.

I always grind my own Fair Trade coffee.  Have found the best boughten to be Holiday gas stations or Dunn Bros.  Holidays are only located in upper Midwest- Mn, Wi, ND, and SD.

Ed, when I first read your message, I thought that Dave Thomas had a surviving brother who took his place. I did some research and figured it was just a typo  ;D

" He just ordered "two double doubles" which I now know is double sugar and double cream"

ugg! ...cream and sugar in good coffee,

That is the same as putting A1 sauce on a good steak.

good coffee doesn't need additional flavoring.

TonyDtorch said:
" He just ordered "two double doubles" which I now know is double sugar and double cream"

1 ugg! ...cream and sugar in good coffee,

2 That is the same as putting A1 sauce on a good steak.

3 good coffee doesn't need additional flavoring.
1. Double yuck
2. Really double yuck!
3. Amen

bobsharon said:
Texas still requires all of those elements for a Concealed Carry License. The classroom training part has been reduced to 4 to 6 hours from the 10 originally required. They have also dropped training requirement for renewals.
I have no problem with a lifetime license as apparently issued in Indiana. What real purpose does renewing every five years serve?Bob
I am now waiting for my NV CCW to arrive in the mail, I took the class about a month ago and got fingerprinted and all that the next day at the Reno Sheriff's office.

Here, it's an 8.5 hour class, with about an hour at the gun range. However, to renew, every five years, it's only necessary to go to the second half of the class (4 hours). The reason for this is for updates with laws WRT the NV CCW as well as to make sure there is a little practice at the gun range.

Many people own many guns (myself included) who rarely, if ever, fire them. I would say it's not a bad idea to get a little practice every five years or so, with whatever weapon you might carry, as well as some updates in various changes in laws and such.

I have been considering getting my Utah and Florida CCW from here in NV. Utah is only a four hour class, no range. I am not sure what the Florida CCW requires, but both classes are available here in NV, and then may carry in most USA states, but not in the states where it's probably needed the most such as CA and NY.

My main reason to get the NV CCW was because I don't like paying the $26.50 (believe it or not, NV now even charges sales tax on a $25.00 background check) for every gun I buy. This fee is waved for those who have a CCW, here in NV.

I am a rather serious collector of guns, but most of them I never fired.

I mainly like to collect what is legal here in Nevada, but illegal in Commiefornia, where I am from. I especially  like AR-15's. I own eight-different makes and styles, but mostly Colt, both 16" and 20" barrels. But I also like SKS (own a Chinese as well as a Russian), AK47's etc.

I also have a large collection of hand guns, especially various Walther models, PPK, etc.  I used a Walther P22 for my CCW class. Here in NV, we can use any handgun to qualify with and then carry what we want when we receive the license. But if I do carry, it certainly won't be a 22LR automatic.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Larry N. said:
I agree with Tony and Bob -- why ruin good coffee? I've tried with those things added, and can't stand it.
Same here, I like my coffee black, espcally Italian Roast. I don't like French Roast which seems to be a lot more popular in the USA.

BTW, I recently tried Pleiku Coffee, since what was from near the nearest  basecamp when I was in the jungles of Vietnam (1969). Not bad, as long as the instructions are followed (takes a lot more coffee grinds to make)but I still prefer the Italian  Roast.

73,  -Don-  AA6GA, Reno, NV

Attachments

• Pleiku Coffee.jpg
    Pleiku Coffee.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 5
DonTom said:
I used a Walther P22 for my CCW class. Here in NV, we can use any handgun to qualify with and then carry what we want when we receive the license. But if I do carry, it certainly won't be a 22LR automatic.
-Don-  Reno, NV
Here in Texas  minimum size to use during practical is .32. Also, if you qualify with an semiauto, you can carry a revolver, but not the other way. Renewal cost varies... $25 for retired  military, LEO etc., and goes up.

bobsharon said:
Here in Texas  minimum size to use during practical is .32. Also, if you qualify with an semiauto, you can carry a revolver, but not the other way...

Actually, they changed that.  Now you can carry SA or NSA regardless of what you qualified with.  But yes, it did used to be that way, for 17 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom