Guns, I know a beat to death topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bobsharon said:
Here in Texas  minimum size to use during practical is .32. Also, if you qualify with an semiauto, you can carry a revolver, but not the other way. Renewal cost varies... $25 for retired  military, LEO etc., and goes up.
NV used to be like that too. But I called first to ask. They changed all this less than a year ago. But just in case of a misunderstanding or whatever, I also brought a Walther .380 automatic, as well as a .38 Colt revolver, but I never used either, but I was ready to use anything they wanted me to use. But I used only the P22. A year ago, it would say right on the NV CCW license if authorized for an automatic or revolver.  Before that, IIRC, they even had the serial number of the weapon you qualified with on the license  and that would be the only weapon  one could carry. So it keeps getting looser here in NV.

Guns are very popular in this area. Many guns shops and they all seem to have a crowd every day. Almost impossible to get .22LR ammo out here because of the very high demand. Other than for my CCW class, I have only been firing centerfire and not even that very often.

Once in a great while I will go the the free shooting range in Carson City, which is unsupervised, but  by the CC Park and Rec. There, you may even fire full automatic weapons as long as you have your federal paperwork with you. And hearing such there is not uncommon.

See rule number 11 here.

-Don-

Glad to see the thread got back to guns despite my unintentional effort to make it coffee, cream and guns.  But since I sometimes march to a different drummer, I can declare that I like my Keurig coffees (several flavors), some with sugar and cream; never grind a coffee bean and always put A1 on my steak which is always well done.  My wife on the other hand just orders her steak as "walk it by the fire" and it looks like a road kill when she cuts into it.  Now that is UGG.  As they say, "Different strokes for different folks."  Happy 2015 all.

I have a question after reading all this stuff about guns.

I do not have one nor intend to get one.  I was trained in shooting a .303Enfield and became pretty good at it.  However, I do not like killing and will most likely not use one to do if I had one, so better to avoid having one nearby.

The question is "Of all the hundreds of thousands of RV folk out there, what percentage carry, and what percentage actually needed to use one this past 2014 year?"

Is it really all that unsafe?

balajiramarao said:
The question is "Of all the hundreds of thousands of RV folk out there, what percentage carry, and what percentage actually needed to use one this past 2014 year?"

There no way of knowing an answer.  It's like insurance.  You never expect to use it but you get insurance anyway.

balajiramarao said:
I have a question after reading all this stuff about guns.

I do not have one nor intend to get one.  I was trained in shooting a .303Enfield and became pretty good at it.  However, I do not like killing and will most likely not use one to do if I had one, so better to avoid having one nearby.

Even with all the many guns I own,  I have never carried one in my RV.  Guns can make RV touring inconvientiet, such as if a side trip into Canada or Mexico is desired.

-Don-  Reno, NV

balajiramarao said:

A year ago, I would have said no it is safe but today, I don't know and am nervous about many locations.  Nervous enough to see what the requirements are for concealed carry but not enough to jump in as I would need a different gun, a 1911 while a great gun is not the best for concealed carry -open carry, yes.

Being from Canada where it is now virtually totally illegal to carry a hand gun, and also illegal to bring one into or to acquire one in the US, we have never carried a gun in our travels. 
    As has been said, situation awareness is key, and so we try to stay away from high risk areas.  However, I consider that we have been lucky to have avoided trouble as incidents of road rage has gone up, as has crime, but I think it is generally recognized that there is little of real value carried in a MH, most RVrs don't carry large sums of money, and even those who are not armed do not make easy targets.
  Yet in response to your question Balaji, I would guess that RVrs as a group have a higher percentage of people who carry a gun than the general population.

Ed

Probably way more than you would think depending on what part of the country you live, concealed means just that.>>>Dan

PatrioticStabilist said:
All ours were inherited from my dad and Tom's dad, except our sons so its the only one registered and the only one with record of ownership.  I am not registering our guns, actually I don't even own any, so there!.
Hear is a good source for you to look at.
http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/defense.htm
On the subject of wild pigs. I had some friends who lived north west of Fort Worth who had a good cottage industry they trapped pigs and sold them at auction. They made pretty good money doing it.
There are only two kinds of places, those that have wild hogs and those that will.  A wildlife biologist told me the sows have 8-10 piglets 3 times a year of each litter 14 survive.
Bill

If it had not been for a pistol toting truck driver I feel certain I would have been beaten to a pulp by three "gentlemen" while stopped for a train. That was approx 18 yrs ago.  That showed me a need to carry.

balajiramarao said:
Of all the hundreds of thousands of RV folk out there, what percentage carry, and what percentage actually needed to use one this past 2014 year?

11.1 Million Americans have Concealed Carry Permits, or about 4.77% of the population over 21 years of age.  Over 9 Million Americans own RV's.  If RV owners are at a minimum merely consistent with the American population then that means approximately 43,000 Rv'ers have concealed carry permits.  And I agree with Hfx_Cdn that it's probably higher among RV'ers.  I wouldn't hesitate to say nearly 50,000 RV'ers pack heat, and personally I bet is significantly higher than that.  There are approximately 2 Million DGU's (defensive gun uses) in the US each year.  That would be about 425 RV'ers (again, more than likely a super low estimate) who use guns in their own defense or the defense of others each year.  These estimations are purely mathematical.  Usually not a bad way to estimate though.

balajiramarao said:

Of course not.  Data for 2010 is pretty readily available.  In 2010, 606 people died from unintentional shootings.  That's .02% of the total number of deaths in 2010.  Illegal gun owners are what is dangerous.  To put that into perspective, 126,438 people died from unintentional injuries (non-firearms related), 27,483 people died from falling, 33,783 died in car wrecks, and 36,280 were unintentionally poisoned.

Jim Godward said:
...a 1911 while a great gun is not the best for concealed carry -open carry, yes.

FWIW, I carry a full-size 1911 everyday plus two spare magazines, very comfortably.  And no, I am not obese.  The correct holster makes all the difference in the world.  And yes, it takes getting used to, just like wearing a belt or a tie.

driftless shifter said:
A lot of gun owners just don't talk about it.

Bill
I know that is true. It's best to not let anybody know that you're carrying, espcally when  concealed.

I think a lot of full time RVers have guns simply because the RV is their home. And a lot of homes have guns.

BTW, I just added a Springfield M1A to my collection today. I just have to buy some 7.62 ammo (.308) and try this one out. I have not fired anything like a M-14 since I was in Army Basic back in early 1969.

My CCW could come anyday,  but I saw this nice  M1A today for only $1,145.00 and I know I ain't going to beat that price anywhere, so I don't mind too much adding the $25.00 on to the pricetag for another background check. I found out today that the CCW license has been issued lately within just six weeks here in the Reno area, which means I could get mine by next week.

The way it's going, I won't have any more guns to buy to add to my  collection by the time my CCW comes, even though the main reason I wanted the CCW was to save the $25.00 on each background check. I just see too many deals on things I know if I don't buy on the spot will be gone by the end of the day. Been visiting too many gun shops lately!

BTW, they did NOT charge sales tax on the background check today. Some places do and some don't. I have no idea why. Cabala's always charges sales tax on the background checks, but many other places don't, here in the Reno area.

-Don-  Reno, NV

DonTom said:
BTW, they did NOT charge sales tax on the background check today. Some places do and some don't. I have no idea why. Cabala's always charges sales tax on the background checks, but many other places don't, here in the Reno area.
Don, maybe you should/oughta challenge Cabela's on the sales tax they charged. Cabela's has had issues with their tax accounting software before incorrectly charging a tax. (By the way I LIKE Cabela's.)
Bob

bobsharon said:
Don, maybe you should/oughta challenge Cabela's on the sales tax they charged. Cabela's has had issues with their tax accounting software before incorrectly charging a tax. (By the way I LIKE Cabela's.) Bob
I didn't know it was a software problem. I bet that is the problem.  I now think perhaps Cabela's was the only place that charged me sale's tax on a background check, but several times.

But I doubt if I will buy another gun at Cabela's before I receive my CCW and I am not going to worry about the few bucks extra they got from me,  I just thought it was strange.

But thanks for the info.

-Don-  Reno, NV

As a new TT owner and a Texas resident I have been reading and researching everything I can about guns and RVs. To the best of my research, about 40% of RVers carry, supposedly. I thought that a little high myself.

Still on the fence, but we've yet to hit the road for any serious touring.

Houston Remodeler said:
To the best of my research, about 40% of RVers carry, supposedly. I thought that a little high myself.

Maybe someone familiar with this Forum can set up a survey to see how many people have weapons in their RV's for self protection.

I'd like to see that poll along with the follow up question; Have you ever had a reason to use it while RVing? Carrying is one thing, actually needing it is another.

Houston Remodeler said:
I'd like to see that poll along with the follow up question; Have you ever had a reason to use it while RVing? Carrying is one thing, actually needing it is another.

I see it as a when not if I'll need it tool. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom