Best RV Exercise Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RodgerS

1. Exercise tubing
Buy ones with handles so you can do arm and upper body exercises.

2. Aqua bells

These plastic travel weights collapse to take up nearly no space in your rv. You simply fill them with water once you get to your destination and ? instant dumbbells! The dumbbells can be adjusted up to 16 pounds each and ankle weights go up to eight pounds so you can work arms and legs easily.

3. A jump rope

Great for cardio when you don't have access to a a gym, Look for a rope made of plastic that turns freely in the handles. To find your right size, be sure the handles just reach under your armpits when you stand in the middle of the rope with both feet. Jump lightly, only two to four inches off the ground, and land on the balls of your feet.

No - not working around the campsite, not walking your dog, not washing your rv.

No - not working around the campsite, not walking your dog, not washing your rv.

That sentence is confusing to me. (I must have not had enough coffee yet) Can you explain what you mean?

We have a small stepper on board, and also work out using DVD based aerobics, alternating with power walks when the weather permits. At our age, we don't jump rope or jog. Too hard on our joints...

We have been doing yoga for a year now. Once a week. It is great for balance and flexibility. Lots of the poses have alternates, so if you have a joint problem there is a way to work around it .

RogerS, we like your suggestions and will definitely be taking them into consideration.

Our dog walks are 2 miles or more, several times a day. I think that qualifies as exercise. Add to that bike riding, weight training with cans or water bottles, planks, and balance training and I think we're doing ok.

A lot of campgrounds have swimming pools. Doing aquafitness is the best way to get a work out in, low impact, no extra equipment needed that will take up space in the RV. Well, none except your suit. Some campgrounds are funny about skinny dipping, or chunky dunking as the case may be.

Caryl

Walking, bicycle riding, and water aerobics when available.

We are a little more traditional. I use a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbells, and an exercise ball.  A folding flat bench completes my workout gear.  The DW likes doing various aerobic video's on the outside TV when possible. 

Then we try to do regular walks with the pooch.  The most important thing is to do something!

A funny and really accurate quote from a guest on Jimmy Fallon show about a week ago. His guest was Dick Van Dyke. He had just had his 89th birthday, and he looked GREAT.  Jimmy asked him what his secret was to staying so agile and sharp witted. He replied "Just keep moving!"  He explained that he exercised in his 30's to look good for the ladies. In his 50's he wanted to stay healthy. In his 70's he wanted to keep mobile.  And now it was to keep him out of Managed Care!  Almost 90 and he is still has a razor wit.  I want to be him!

Definitely!  A neighbor of Jerry's when he was a child lived to almost 100.  She informed us when she was over 90 that the best thing to keep sharp is to play bridge which she did several times a week.  And she was bright right to the end.  My own mother lived to almost 95 and during one of her later visits we were driving somewhere when she started telling us about a book she had read.  I almost felt like she was quoting it verbatim!  She named all the characters and related everything they did.  I was amazed!  It was almost as though she memorized it to make sure her memory was good.  Thankfully it was right to the end.

ArdraF

Where my parents live, there are three people that are over 100, all three walk without so much as a cane.  While many younger than them use a walker, or a wheel chair.  My thought was that it was their diet as none of them look overweight.  But the one thing they all tell me is they have just stayed active.  They do a lot of walking and participate in many of the activities.  So activity seems to be the key.

Activity keeps your muscles toned, which helps your balance, which keeps you from falling. Yoga is really good for that also. Physical activity is just as important for your brain as mental activities for keeping your mind sharp. Try learning one new thing each day.

cadee2c said:
Activity keeps your muscles toned, which helps your balance, which keeps you from falling. Yoga is really good for that also. Physical activity is just as important for your brain as mental activities for keeping your mind sharp. Try learning one new thing each day.

I use Audible.com and listen to books while I drive.  A recent book was on maximizing your brain health.  It said any new use of your brain activates it and makes it better.

It suggested that if you have not done crossword puzzles in a long time and you take them up, that will reinvigorate your brain.  On the other hand, if your're one that does crossword puzzles as a habit, those neurons are already in place, and continuing them is not like exercise.  One needs to take up a new brain activity, such as learning a new language, or start memorizing bible verses. 

It was a very interesting book, "30 days to a more powerful brain" by Bruce Lewolt.  My goal is not only to keep my body healthy, but to keep my mind healthy as well. 

My parents are in an assisted living facility, which is more like an apartment complex, with people always available if you need help with anything.  I visit there a lot and find it quite interesting, the people I now know in their 90's, they keep themselves busy and active enjoying a very good life.  Then you meet others that don't really go anywhere or do anything exciting.  The active people in their 90's are an inspiration to me.  One guy in particular is 95 and still drives to his girlfriends house in Daytona Beech to spend the weekends doing things with her.  His wife died after 60 years of marriage.  But that didn't stop him, he takes college courses offered, teaches others art, (he's a painter) and is always on the run.  He's still living life to the fullest, and as he says, it's a choice.  One can complain about all the challenges of being old, or choose to enjoy the fact that they "got up again," have the free time, and live that day to the fullest.

Now that's a full life, active both physically and mentally.

We do a lot of things aside from the french curling bar we bring with us;

Park a little further from the door and walk
Carry your groceries instead of the cart
Take the stairs instead of the elevator

Most of my relatives live into their late 90's early 100's I;ve got a long way to go.

RodgerS said:
2. Aqua bells

These plastic travel weights collapse to take up nearly no space in your rv. You simply fill them with water once you get to your destination and ? instant dumbbells! The dumbbells can be adjusted up to 16 pounds each and ankle weights go up to eight pounds so you can work arms and legs easily.

RodgerS, I just "found" this posting and saw the Aqua Bells section. I never heard of them but I will checking on them, what a great way to save on weight when in travel mode and try to stay in shape as we get older. :D

Back
Top Bottom