Bear statue to be installed Tues Nov 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhmahoney

While in Haines Alaska I bought a 2500 lb marble bear.

Tommorow, Tues Nov 7, It will be installed at the base of my wind sculpture in the early morning. You are all invited to watch the project, or come by later.

As it happens, another installer is putting a flat metal art piece on the back wall of my shed sometime the same day. This is the meandering stream with black spruce plus a flight of geese and a moon with cloud band.

Question: I also bought an ivory, antler, and bone carving that will require a plastic display case. Where should I look for a plastic fabricator of such an item?

Justin_Karella_hunter.jpg =The artist and my narwhale hunter
stream_trees.jpg= flat steel panel of stream with trees
Haines_bear.jpg= marble bear with Judd the sculptor.

Attachments

• Haines_bear.jpg
    Haines_bear.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 56
  • stream_trees.jpg
    stream_trees.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Justin_Karella_hunter.jpg
    Justin_Karella_hunter.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 49
I see you solved your posting problem.  Which browser did you finally use to post?

Looking forward to seeing the new art work on display.

Russ,

What dimensions are you talking about for the display case? Inside or outside (subject to UV)? There are some pretty nifty aquariums available that might work, and I would recommend some kind of moisture absorbent material or sealed nitrogen atmosphere to prevent long-term damage. There is a place in Milwaukee, Cadillac Plastic, that can make custom enclosures from acrylic or polycarbonate, and I would guess almost any larger city would have a similar establishment. 

Super  Russ  Sometime in the Morning Audrey and I will venture over that way. It's possible we may bring Smoky and the Admiral with us.  Our Son that lives about a mile from you may also come to view it. 

The plastic display case will be less than 2 ft Long x 1 ft wide and 1.5 ft tall. The base needs to be longer than the case to allow clamping it to the table behind the passenger seat.

Uploaded OK with Safari. Don't know why Firefox balked at posting the msg.

Heck Russ, you could build one that size from 1/8" or 1/4" sheet acrylic yourself if you don't mind square corners. The hardest part in dealing with that stuff is getting the individual pieces cut to exact size without edge chips, but a commercial plastics outfit can do that easily. Assembly is simple with water-clear acrylic solvent (#242 if memory serves). To fancy it up you could buy some L-shaped wooden molding (Oak?) (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) to put over the corner edges and top, even the bottom, if you desire.

rhmahoney said:

Tommorow, Tues Nov 7, It will be installed at the base of my wind sculpture in the early morning. You are all invited to watch the project, or come by later.

Russ,
I'm so sorry to miss the installation.? We are? watching our driveway and courtyard go in today.? Take pics and send them when the install is over.? I'll bet they look will? great.? Brings back good memories of some mighty fine shopping adventures!

Betty

rhmahoney said:

Ok, I clicked on the unread messages link and see a Subject: Bear Statue to be installed. WoW! I thought this guy must be a friend of Tony  Stewart's and he's going to help him install the bear he won last week at the Atlanta 500 at his Columbus, IN log cabin home.  Then I went to actual message. Nice Bear !!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

Didn't get to the installation but  about 11M we were there to see the Bear.  Sorry Russ wasn't home at the time but we did view it.  Very Nice. Left our card on the table tell inform Russ we had been there.  The Guards at the gate let us know all about it.  Looked over some properties at happy trails and decided if we we going to invest that much we'd go on out further to Del Webbs Sun City Festival and buy a sticker.  Man that place is beautiful.  Building like crazy only about a dozen are so families living there just now but in 3 weeks are so  could be as many as 300.  Wow do they put them up in groves.

The way houses are going up in Phoenix I think they grow them from seeds :)

Russ:

Great looking art! You give new meaning to going shopping for Alaska momentous.

Couldn't have said it better ?also ?they have 4 planting seasons each year.YEar ago August when I came out here till now, just in surprise, must be an additional 25 to 35 thousand more people. ?That doesn't include Goodyear Sun City, Glendale, Peoria, Buckeye and El Mirage or any of the many other towns.Park Ave ?might be 40 miles long now ?as is Olive and others.

The bear install went well.

Walt and his assistant ( who spoke no english) arrived at 7AM... The forklift he rented that can hoist 6,000 lb arrived at 8:30AM and the job was done in an hour.

Bear_sculpture_install-1.jpg
I backed the RV to within an inch of the neighbor's air conditioner, allowing Walt to lift the bear in it's box from the delivery drop point on the gravel on the S side of my lot.

Bear_sculpture_install-2.jpg
Uncrating bear in the street.

Bear_sculpture_install-3.jpg
The forklift placed the bear on the pallet in the final resting place. They then removed the red hold down straps and wrapped the statue with 2 yellow (20,000 lb strength) straps. The capabilities of this forklift are amazing. It can lift tilt forward and swivel side to side wthout moving the whole vehicle. Made positioning the bear very easy.
Side note. in the lower right, notice the sun blackened plastic cap on the front wall of the shed. I glued this over an unused vent last winter...the arizona summer sun is brutal!

Bear_sculpture_install-4.jpg
Bear in place in late afternoon sun. Since it is not on a pedestal, I will place contrasting pebbles about each foot.

Attachments

• Bear_sculpture_install-1.jpg
    Bear_sculpture_install-1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Bear_sculpture_install-2.jpg
    Bear_sculpture_install-2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 40
  • Bear_sculpture_install-3.jpg
    Bear_sculpture_install-3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Bear_sculpture_install-4.jpg
    Bear_sculpture_install-4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
Sorry Russ  Good  Pics  but it looks better  in person. Sorry we missed you

Way cool, Russ. May have to blow thru there on the way to Quartzsite to see it live and in person !! Mike laughed at me when I wondered how you got it into the motorhome to bring home (No, I am not blonde).

Russ

Great remembrance from a wonderful trip.  Very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom