2001 Holiday rambler endeder questions new to RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petec511

Hi I just bought an 01 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 motor home need some help and advice.
Guy I bought it from was a tool and I won't get any real help from him.
First off I need to know how many batteries my coach should have and what type. On the trip home the inventor and generator both wouldn't work. I think this is because it only has one 12 volt coach battery and it only reads 10.9 volts.
Have a few other questions also please help.
Thank you in advance
Peter
[email protected]

You should have 2 12V starting batteries for the engine and probably 4 6V house batteries.  10.9V is a dead battery and wouldn't start the engine, so the starting batteries are probably OK since you were able to drive it.  Dead house batteries would explain why the inverter didn't work and also why the generator wouldn't start, it probably starts from the house batteries.

Hi Guys after my post I started browsing the library last night and had read your battery article. Just trying to decide if the previous owners have now changed the set up my 6 volt style to 12 volt . I think I should stick to the 6volt system, just need to figure out what I need to make it happen.

You may never have had a 6V arrangement or it may have been changed quite a while ago. However, what you have/need will depend on what your intended used of the vehicle is. If, for example, you intend to use it and camp in areas without power (120V) hookups, then perhaps the series/parallel arrangement using 6V batteries is desirable. In reality they are both 12V systems. You can change that over any time in the future once you establish you needs. For now, just to get things tested and up and running, one or two deep discharge type batteries to replace the dead ones will serve the purpose just as well.

Probably not too much camping without being able to plug in or use the generator.
I have a foggy window where go I get a new one or can this one be replaced.
Also should my air bags loose air from sitting ?

Fogging dual pane windows are a common problem. There are glass shops in most areas that can fix them, or you can replace the window glass entirely - sometimes no more expensive if you can DIY.  It's likely to be $200-$300 per window either way. Where are you located - perhaps someone can steer you to a shop nearby?

Yes, the air system will leak down over time. The "how long" depends on the number and size of the leaks and can vary anywhere from a overnight to several days. Mine is good for 3-5 days when everything is in good repair, but less than a day when it gets leaky. Your onboard air compressor has no problem keeping up with small losses while driving, and the air brakes only need about 50% of normal operating pressure anyway, but the suspension wants high pressure (about 125 psi) and even tiny leaks can drop it down in 12-24 hours.

Thanks Gary
The suspension seems to settle down over night.
I will have to see who around me can do the windows I have two one really bad and one just starting.
I live in Winnipeg Canada.
What do you guys use to re seal your roofs?
Thanks Pete

Is this the diesel Endeavor? There was a gas model in that year as well, but I think the 40 footers were all diesels.

You "seal" the roof seams, not the roof itself. In fact, I think the Endeavor has an aluminum roof. Use an exterior grade caulk (aka lap sealant) compatible with aluminum and fiberglass. A self-leveling type is easiest to use on horizontal surfaces - it flows out smoothly. Dicor EPDM lap sealant is a good choice, and it is available in some colors as well as white. Geocel Proflex RV is also suitable for metal and fiberglass (but not for rubber roofs).

Hi Gary
Thank you very much for your advice.
This is a diesel Endeavor with the 8.3 Cummins.
I was able to get the inventor and generator running today so I am happy those things work at least.
Do you have to lube the slides? Do they have grease fittings or do you just do a track?
What does 12 volt wet bay heat mean?

Thanks,
Peter

The wet bay is the location on your rig, usually a side compartment, where water and sewer connections are made. Some rigs have heated wet bays, which helps when you're using the rig in below freezing temperatures.

There is generally no need to lubricate the slide gear rack - just keep them clean. Some people like to spray them with a dry silicone lube (RV dealers love to sell that sort of thing and push those products shamelessly). It is sometimes useful to spray the rubber seals around the slide with a silicone lube or something like 303 Protectant. I don't do either one of those things myself, though.

OK so I have read the battery article a few times and just am curious as to what everyone would do.
I need new coach batteries period.
so should I go with 4 6volt deep cycle or should i go with 4 12 volt deep cycle?
Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you,
Peter

In most cases the 4 6v golf cart deep cycles with flooded cell technology will be cheaper, possible much cheaper. 12v deep cycles are a fairly special type and thus usually expensive, whereas there are a gazillion golf carts and similar equipment that use those GC2 batteries and thus produced in larger volumes and competing in price.

But if you want the convenience of an AGM battery, the 6v and 12v deep cycles will probably price out about the same for four. I have 4 12v AGM deep cycles (now approaching 7 years old) and will probably get 4 more next year sometime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom